Why does almost everyone choose matte against glossy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by palmerc2, Nov 21, 2009.

1. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Over the past few months of perusing my way through the forums I have noticed a lot of people prefer matte over glossy.....Of course, we all have personal preference - but it just seems a LOT of people always say get a matte screen.

Why is this? I personally prefer the glossy. I'm on a 24" Alu iMac now with the glossy display, checked out the MBP in store and prefer the glossy...

I like the glossy for the high picture quality, I did do a test side by side of matte and glossy, and glossy just looked a lot better. Reflections can be a pain at times, but its not too hard to just move your display a few inches :eek:

All responses welcome

2. vant macrumors 65816

I think the matte crew is more outspoken on forums. In terms of sales however, glossy always leads over matte.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

This would not shock me if actual numbers supported it. Amongst those doing graphics work, the matte makes much more sense.

4. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Well isn't one of the reason why glossy sell more over matte due to the fact more Apple machines offer glossy vs matte?

I personally would like to see Apple offer one of those hybrid gloosy-ish matte screen options.

5. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

People don't like glossy screens because there are issues to calibrate them. This is essential when you work with colors...

6. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Apple rarely offers matte on its computers, so if you don't have the option then yes, glossy is sold more.

Where there is an option (e.g. MBP17 and now the MBP15), this is made as a BTO item and *many* (e.g. 7/9 of the stores I've been in) don't have the matte available, therefore the consumer never sees that difference. So yeah, it's pretty scummy marketing by Apple, to wit:
    "Choose a standard glossy display that lets you view graphics, photos, and videos with richer colors and deeper blacks, or an optional antiglare display."
    What a way to pitch matte.

Due to the way that matte screens operate, they lower contrast by spreading out reflections. Therefore a glossy screen will appear more 'punchy' and have a higher achievable contrast. Unfortunately the mirror-like finish of the glossy causes reflections that ruin my, and many others, concentration (you often see things happening behind you, especially if you don't have the screen set to "blindingly-bright")

Look at the reflections in the middle of the review here:
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10041-10146

Glossy is a cheaper process than matte, and Apple would ideally like to support as few hardware configurations as possible (cheaper stock management and component purchasing).

Remember that many consumers are stupid (why else do crappy hamburger-chains and awful daytime TV stay in business), therefore the gravitation of consumers towards glossy should not, in itself, be interpreted as a choice for superiour technology.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What issues, technically speaking, glossy display panels produce a purer color as there is no intermediate filter defecting the light being emitted, i.e., matte.

While the argument has been beaten to death, I'm unaware of any unbiased document stating this. I read how professional photographers, prefer matte because it produces more accurate color and then move on to another forum and read some other photographers prefer the glossy screen for its color representation.

Pesonally, I like glossy and it really boils down to personal preference.

8. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

9. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

That pretty much sums it up - I for one don't care at all for the all-glass screen, as I find it far too reflective where I normally would use my computer. Yet another reason that I'm glad that the MacBook Air still uses a 'traditional' glossy screen. It's a good balance between the 'punch' of colour and the reflectiveness.

10. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

There is NO comparison between matte and glossy, matte wins all the time.

11. bravens52 macrumors regular

I prefer glossy because it makes the computer more rich looking and the matte screen make it look more like a PC. Lol. The display just stand out more because it is glossy and flashy

12. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

I currently own a glossy because there was no matte option for the 15 in. model when I bought mine. I really wish there was though. I do like it a lot more.

13. maraca2020 macrumors member

14. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Wow, great argument. Unfortunately many non-Macs now also come with glossy screens. Great for watching movies on. Less good if you actually need to use your computer for doing work, rather than dicking around.

15. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Can you control all the lighting in the room (i.e. avoid all back lighting)? Then I would say glossy due to higher contrast.

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't think it's the case that "almost everyone" chooses matte over glossy, but as someone said it's those that want matte screens that make the most noise. I have a very hard time believing that the majority of customers (especially new customers that don't know anything i.e. 80% of the people in an Apple Store) saunter in and demand a matte screen.

17. brentsg macrumors 68030

For some reason in this argument it always seems that the glossy folks say "it's personal preference I like it better" and the matte folks say "matte is better and if you don't agree with me you are wrong".

18. HONEY FLASH macrumors newbie

I usually can't stand the glossy screens... even if I move my screen I can see my reflection in it. Same with TV's... in our living room we have a glossy plasma, while in my bedroom I have an LCD, and the viewing is so much easier for my eyes.

19. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I've been on MacRumors for five and a half years now, and I remember when Apple offered only matte screens; the majority of complaints were "why doesn't Apple offer glossy screens?". I prefer matte, and hope for a matte option the next time I buy a Mac, but I've had a MBP with a glossy screen for almost a year now, and don't notice reflections except in the most extreme lighting conditions.

20. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Agree, most are very happy with the glossy screens. The matte crowd makes a lot of noise though.

21. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

I agree. I am happy with my glossy screen. The matte screen would certainly help if I'm outside on a sunny day, but then again.. I would much rather have the glossy inside, where I spend most of my computer time.

22. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

23. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

The new glossy screens are TERRIBLE. I don't know how anyone can use them... especially in a laptop. The view angles are awful, the reflection makes the screen look like a mirror, I don't get it. Matte > Glossy.

24. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

One thing some people here on forums don't seem to understand...

Apple does not make computers to make you happy. They build Macs because they get money from it. And as every enterprise, the best way to maximize profits is to sell products that the majority of their customers will like.

You graphic artists are unfortunately not the majority of people. I understand that, for you, matte screens are better, but for the average mac user, glossy screens are just fine.

25. palmerc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

palmerc2

okay so as I said to start this post, I am on a 24" glossy iMac, and i've been doing some light to medium photoshopping. When it comes to color calibration, are you guys saying I am not getting the "true" picture, because of the glossy?

I was checking out the difference between matte and glossy in store, as I am soon to get a 17" MBP, and still prefer the glossy......again, I will be doing photoshopping, probably more this time around...

even though matte is duller, it is better calibrated then glossy? explain?