why does Apple bother with selling 3 different magsafe adapters?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bniu, Dec 5, 2011.

1. bniu macrumors 6502a

The 85W, 60W, and 45W adapters are all $79 each and it is a well known fact (at least amongst geeks) that the 85W adapter is truly universal between all Apple Intel notebooks.

So since they're all the same price, why does Apple bother maintaining an inventory of all three when they could just sell a single 85W adapter? Wouldn't that simplify inventory alot? When I bought a few spare adapters to leave permanently plugged into various outlets around the house, I bought only 85 Watters so that I didn't have to worry about future compatibility whenever I would end up buying a big boy MBP...wouldn't having just a single power adapter simplify things for the consumer as well?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Perhaps they make more money on the lower watt adaptors even accounting for the extra costs in maintaining different items? If so, that in and of itself would be reason enough for them to do it.

3. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Probably size as well. The 45w adapter for the MBA is significantly smaller and more appropriate for the size of the MBA when compared with the huge 85W clunker used in the MBPs.

4. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I know I'd rather carry the smaller MBA adapter with me than the MBP version, especially when my Booq case arrives...I suppose if you have multiple notebooks though it'd be nice to grab the 85W and just use it among all of them though.

5. goMac macrumors 603

Having heard from people in the know on this one... While the 85W does work pretty reliably, there still is some concern it could zap a Macbook that expects a lower wattage. It also puts out more heat.

So, just to be on the safe side, they sell the lower end adaptors.

6. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Completely untrue.

7. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

If you want to see a huge clunker take a look at the brick that HP supplies with some of their Elitebooks.

8. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

first part: incorrect. Why would they sell a Thunderbolt display with a 85w adaptor built in if this was the case?

second part: I dunno. never paid attention to that part

9. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Indeed.

The only negative is some SMC funk when moving between adapters.

10. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

Not true.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2346

11. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I'm still wondering why they sell a 85w adaptor for a computer that clearly demands more.

If I were an MBA user, I wouldn't want an adaptor that is larger than it absolutely needs to be so I guess that is why they have more than one.

12. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Explain yourself.

13. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It's not clear what he is referring to, but it might be the fact that the 85 W supoly is not enough for the top 15" and 17" configurations, which is true.

14. snaky69 macrumors 603

In some situations the MBP drains both the adapter and the battery at once.

15. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

16. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

My 17" uses more power than the PSU can supply.

17. Gurutech macrumors 6502

When I put my MBP in high load, sometimes it draw power from both adapter and battery. I don't know why that happens, but one can assume that drawing power from both means it requires more power that one can supply.

18. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Lol, someone hasn't heard of voltage limiters

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I just clicked it as quoted in your post. It works.
    This is true, but only occurs during periods of extreme power demands. For normal use, the 85w adapter is quite sufficient. Read the AC POWER section of the following link for details. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/power/charging questions:

20. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I do not feel the same way. I transferred 150GB of files via ethernet several days ago. My battery discharged fully while performing this task. I plugged the machine into power and resumed the FTP transfer. Three hours later my battery had charged to only 7%.

Is a simple FTP transfer an example of "extreme power demand"? Probably not.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, I wouldn't expect it to be. I suspect there's more involved here. Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what other apps/processes may be consuming system resources.

22. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

no, it's not. in this case, I would look to see if there are other things causing load, or make sure that your charger and battery are both working properly.

Were your fans running loudly?

23. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

As I recall, the fans were running pretty well. I don't have a monitoring program for the fans (smcfancontrol, is it?)

However, I made a point to switch to integrated graphics and to close all running programs (I forgot my PSU at home that day). When I use this machine at school running only OpenOffice, I get about 6 hours of battery life, so I have not suspected the battery. Likewise, it doesn't feel like it takes a long time to charge if the laptop is sleeping, so I haven't suspected the AC adapter.

I know, for instance, that I cannot play StarCraft 2 indefinitely with discrete graphics and the laptop plugged in. But I was surprised by the ftp battery draw.

It was about 55,000 files spread over 150gb.

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

25. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

I got it now. Thanks.