Why does Apple chose to make Touch ID useless?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsnuff1, Apr 23, 2014.

1. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

Touch ID brought the first fingerprint sensor device that just works to mass consumers, and no competitor even the S5 is even close to the same tech. Yet Apple chooses to cripple the feature instead of making it one of the main reasons to own an iPhone.

Even Apple's current paltry implementation sucks...you literally have to use your password every time any typical iTunes user buys things on the iTunes stores. The expiration time is just too short. Does Apple not trust its own fingerprint tech to make it the default and be used every time?

I dont understand why they don't make Touch ID used every time for all their services and have the password only as a backup, instead of the other way around.

Imagine Touch ID being used as the mainstream authentication method that all services including third party apps can use? Log into an email account? BAM Touch ID...Buy something off the Amazon app...BAM Touch ID...Log into Facebook...Touch ID

Come on Apple don't lose the ball on one of your main hardware gems on the iPhone, Samsung is already filling the gap and is already opening up its fingerprint sensor to third parties (Paypal for one).

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I think they are laying more groundwork in iOS 8 for exactly what you are describing. The thing is, with such a new type of fingerprint solution, they wanted to get as many potential bugs worked out as possible before tying TouchID to such sensitive client information. Think of iOS 7 as the rollout to ensure they can collect as much diagnostic information as possible to fine tune the sensor to be as reliable as possible before expanding it.

3. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

This is how Apple works. They slowly get into something new and grow it once the groundwork is laid, simply how they do business. Just the unlocking feature to me is a massive convenience. I certainly see it being combined with Keychain in iOS 8.

4. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

5. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

The Samsung fingerprint sensor is utter rubbish, a rushed feature that doesn't work nearly half as good as the iPhone sensor! As has been said, over time Apple will tie it to other uses.

6. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

Why does Apple chose to make Touch ID useless?

Just give it time. We will see new things in the iOS 8. I still love it just for unlocking the phone.

7. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Apple is always renounced for bringing out brand new features with limited user experience, but they will be collecting all the bug data and then implementing the features you are talking about in iOS 8 :)

8. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

They will surely add more functionality in the future. Wait until WWDC at least and maybe theyll have some more features.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

TouchID works great for me, I unlock my iphone dozens of times every day; it is pretty useful there. On the other hand, I go weeks between buying things in iTunes.

10. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

TouchID was released on the 5s on its "infancy". with so much potential it will be stupid for apple not to use it in it's full potential. Apple knows what it's doing so sit back and watch touchID grow at our very eyes. I can't wait!

11. iOS7.1 macrumors member

You said it. My sister's fiance just got the Galaxy S5, & the ID sensor is a complete joke. Not only does it barely function, but you can try over & over & over, countless times with the incorrect finger & you are never asked for a passcode.

12. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Having to swipe you finger makes no sense on a phone. The iPhones implementation makes the most sense

13. iOS7.1 macrumors member

Exactly.

Like you siad, the GS5's implementation of TouchID makes no sense. It is awkward, buggy, & flat out doesn't doesn't work unless you simultaneously swipe & hit the home button.

14. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i also don't get why the app store feature is reset so often, pretty much every time i get an app i have to type my password in so the feature might as well not even exist.

15. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I've never encountered a "time-out" issue when using TouchID with the iTunes/App Store. The only time I need to enter my password is when I've restarted the phone and then try to buy something in the App/iTunes Store. Just as long as I don't restart my phone, TouchID works all the time after that initial password entry.

16. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Same here, don't know what those other guys are talking about! Works every time for iTunes purchases.

17. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Ditto. I buy apps rarely (maybe 1 app every month or so), and I think I was only allowed to use TouchID once to purchase it. And I don't get it - I already unlocked my iPhone using TouchID (or passcode), why is it not sufficient to use that same method to buy an app?

Maybe Apple wants to make sure people don't passively forget their passwords over time? Either way, if they currently removed TouchID purchases from the iTunes store, it would not affect me (since I never get that option).

18. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

When I had a 5S I could make purchases with Touch ID.

The only times when i couldn't couldn't use it was when it was a "free" purchase via something like Starbucks App or a free redeem code.

But, as others are saying, I believe (and Tim Cook alluded to it previously) Touch ID will be a larger part of the OS soon. they want to get the kinks out first to make is as smooth as possible.

19. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Some people have turned off the 15 minutes where you are allowed to make more purchases (usually people with kids who have spent hundreds on some stupid in-app purchase), in which case having to prove _again_ who you are is absolutely intended.

20. Dave245 macrumors 601

I like Touch ID I think its a great feature, for a start it stops people from getting access to your phone. I just hope they bring Touch ID to the iPad, that would be awesome since a lot of people use iPads for work and study (myself included) it would certainly help to make me feel like my device is better protected.

21. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I completely agree, Apple has a chance to eradicate typed passwords, PINs, etc and bring a true revolution to the world. It seems they have plenty of time though to rest on their laurels as Samsungs implementation supposedly sucks, and no one else is stepping up to the plate with fp sensors. Apple works best when under pressure, and it doesn't seem they are under any pressure with regards to the fp functions. Hopefully we see some cool stuff in iOS8.

22. Dave245 macrumors 601

I think its the same as what we are seeing with the iPhone 6 at the moment. Apple under pressure to create a bigger screen phone, and who knows Touch ID may gain some more functionality in IOS 8, let's not forget that it was only out into the 5S last September.

23. VolceOntra macrumors 6502

VolceOntra

Can you elaborate? Are you talking about restrictions for in app purchases? If so, mine are off and I still get asked for a password...

24. Cyborg21 macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

I feel like, iPhone 5S features are for iOS 8. Think about that, a 64-bit processor, Motion coprocessor and finger print scanner, I feel like Apple is preparing for something but I have no idea right now. And slogan of iPhone 5S makes me even more suspicious ''Forward Thinking'' maybe Apple's Next Big Thing will be iOS 8.

25. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't find it useless at all. I'm happy to only have to touch it rather than enter the password to unlock it or make in-app purchases.

I do think it would be great if it worked on iTunes as well. It works for the App Store, so I don't see why they didn't have it work for iTunes out of the gate as well.

I suspect we'll see some more things working with it in iOS 8 later this year.