Why does Apple favor iPhone 5S in white? Black now seems like the unwanted step-child

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by user-name-here, Sep 13, 2013.

1. user-name-here, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013

user-name-here macrumors 65816

Why does Apple now seem to so heavily favor the iPhone 5S in white?

It's almost as if the black model is now the unwanted step-child even though the iPhone in black is the one that got them to the successful point they are today.

Not only do they have 2 white versions of the 5S and only 1 black version (no black / gold), but go to www.apple.com/iphone-5s and there are also way more pictures of the white version.

Need more proof? If you go look at www.apple.com/ios to see their iOS 7 page you wont see a single picture of the black version, their entire preview video of iOS 7 is completely with the white version only.

EDIT: Also they refuse to make a black iPhone 5C (thanks veedubshafer!)

What gives? :confused:

2. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

Apple has favored their white iDevices since the iPad 2 / iPhone 4. They apparently sell better.

3. J4B3 macrumors regular

J4B3

It's just marketing. I'm sure Apple did some study and found that the color white encourages people to spend more money. Plus, in photos white makes iOS 7 look better.

4. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

5. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I think the white and gold iP5 is getting a little more attention simply because it is the first gold iPhone. I am sure it is about to sell incredibly well. I am tempted by it myself.

6. evilrt macrumors regular

evilrt

I agree... ios6 looks better on a black phone, ios7 on white. I was going to get the 5s in black but now I'm gonna get white again because of the brighter look of ios7.

7. Kurso macrumors 6502

The culture of Apple is differentiation, to the extreme. This leads them to do things not because they are right or wrong but because it sets them apart from the others in the market.

Black, and other dark colors, are the preferred options for most smart phone vendors. By moving away from this Apple is setting itself apart, again right or wrong is irrelevant.

I personally prefer black but I like the look of iOS 7 on the white face of the Silver iPhone 5s.

8. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I think Apple promotes white because they DON'T sell as well, so they are trying to show them off. That makes the most sense to me.

I see more black iPhones/iPads than white, so I really don't think white sells more.

I love my white 4S though. :cool:

9. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

10. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

I honestly believe its because of the scuffing that is much more prominent on the black iPhone. I remember when the iPhone 5 was released the black iPhone was the one all wanted and then the scuffing happened and all of a sudden everyone preferred white. It's the same reason they sell it in gray now.

11. Altis macrumors 68000

With regards to the front face being black/white, it's because the black frame doesn't go well with the white-border theme of iOS 7. For example, the music app... Having album art surrounded by white border surrounded by a black frame... Looks incomplete.

Everyone knows that photo and video should have dark surrounds to them. That's why TVs are black and don't have a white light shining around the edge of the panel.

12. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I also think they picked black fronts for the 5C because people prefer black iPhones over white. If they were to make the fronts white, a lot of people wouldn't be into it.

There is a greater chance of selling high numbers if they use a black front. Way more people prefer the black over white, believe me. And they wouldn't option black/white option because that's more expensive for them.

I don't see how offering the 5C in white makes any sense. iPod touches look like that. And iPhone 5C isn't a white iPhone, so making the fronts white makes no sense.

13. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

I think they decided against a black version because most people would get the black one, effectively squashing their new "Color" theme.

On that same note, I bet the white 5C outsells the other colors.

14. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

White 5C will definitely outsell. It's the only neutral color.

The other options are very "teen", which is what I'm sure their biggest market is. And I'm sure we will see teenage girls/boys everywhere flashing their colored iPhones.

But yea, if they offered black, it would definitely be the top seller. It might even take away from their 5S sales.

I'm not getting a 5C, but if I were, I'd definitely get white.

15. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

I would be willing to put money on this as well. The white 5c is even tempting me to sell my iPhone 5...It reminds me so much of the white 3GS (my favourite iPhone).

16. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

On a similar note - I have a black iPhone 5. I'm bringing it in this weekend because the lightning port is loose - I wish they could fix it but they'll probably have to swap it.

I know it's not their policy to swap a phone for a different color - unless it's within the 14 day return policy. But, has anyone ever successfully had them do this? The black 5 does seem to scratch easier..anyone think I might be able to request this, given that they're discontinuing the 5?

17. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Good luck, like you said typically Apple has been known to deny a color change request. Usually once you order, they will only replace with what you originally ordered.

You could give it a try, I don't know if the 5 being discontinued will change matters, but..I would say there is a good chance that they WON'T give you white.

18. rjkgr macrumors regular

Probably because thats the first color and they are getting sick of black and the sides chip more than the white so we will see

19. Anitramane macrumors 6502

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not necessarily. They'll go whichever is newest or stand out more. Black and Slate was heavily advertised when it first debuted. Now it's gold/white.

21. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

22. Enabledobject macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

One reason I don't like the white iPhones is you end up seeing a thin black border around the display when it's on. It just looks funky IMO.

23. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Well black and gold wouldn't look that great. And they only have 1 white phone. It's called silver. The other two are gold and space grey. Maybe the silver and gold ones are better in the ads and stuff. And if I decided the color of an iPhone like OP does all the 5c's are black iPhones.

24. sarahs macrumors newbie

This is gonna sound so silly, I know, but some of the zelebs Kim K, Khloe & Kylie all have space grey iphone 5s's. Kris Jenner and Kourtney K both have gold. If silver doesnt appeal to the Kardashians then thats ok by me! I realise how ridiculous I sound but hey ho! A couple of the zelebs here, Lauren Goodger? (Anyone?) posts selfies ala Kim K of her space grey iphone. At the end of the day its the same phone with the same apps etc. Its only the colour and if you dont like it change it in a refurb shop or pop a case on and cover the phone with the colour of your choice. I had a black 3gs, white Iphone 4 and compared to my space grey 5s, the 5s is leagues ahead, as i said its the same 5s phone. Apple can promote what they like. The gold didnt get as much hype as I thought it would tbh.

25. Knockworstface macrumors regular

Knockworstface