Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
The same reason Microsoft tried so hard to make Vista suck, so they could get people to pay for both Vista and Windows 7... :rolleyes:

oh wait, you mean they weren't trying? :D

Tubink

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2009
Reading, PA
The same reason Microsoft tried so hard to make Vista suck, so they could get people to pay for both Vista and Windows 7... :rolleyes:

Considering Vista works so much better now than release, your outdated argument is laughable.

Mistah Sheep

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2009
Is it to make money for newer iphones?

What other phones are they gonna' make?

Look at it this way:

If they make another phone, it would give a CHOICE to customers. Sometimes when customers are given a choice, they can't choose and they'll turn to a phone like the Env2 (which I'm guessing that half of the human population has at this point).

So if there is no choice, there's this: It's Mac! It has to be good.

There's no hesitation..They have to buy THAT phone, or no Mac phone. And who doesn't want a Mac phone?

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Considering Vista works so much better now than release, your outdated argument is laughable.

Compared to Win7 and XP Vista is still a crappy O/S and very much so of a resource HOG.

It is much better for driver support than the initial release but it still is not good.

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008

Vista is a great OS and i have no problems using it

Compared to Win7 and XP Vista is still a crappy O/S and very much so of a resource HOG.

It is much better for driver support than the initial release but it still is not good.

i have no problems using Vista at all.

all you mac fanboys i tell ya.... quit bashing a system that isnt as bad as people make it out to be.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008

all you mac fanboys i tell ya.... quit bashing a system that isnt as bad as people make it out to be.

why bother, just enjoy it.
I find vista extremely boring (no reloads in 21 months), my network uptime is better than when I had XP pro loaded on all my machines.

Based on what you read here its a wonder vista computers even starts up.

YoungLew

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
What's the likelihood that someone will find a way to overclock the iPhones CPU or even find a way to make it run at its ACTUAL speed rather than underclocked......

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Using Vista is laughable. :D

Vista is fine. Due to the Mac commercials, you'd think it was a joke to use, but it really isn't as bad as it's made out to be. I'd imagine that many of the critics have never even used Vista.

To the OP: Are you serious? Of course they don't give us everything they could. They're a business!

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Given an opportunity to bash Microsoft, a childish Apple Fan Boi will ALWAYS take the bait and run with it. It's a combination of funny/sad to see it happen.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
Given an opportunity to bash Microsoft, a childish Apple Fan Boi will ALWAYS take the bait and run with it. It's a combination of funny/sad to see it happen.

comparisons are made with XP and 7
Mac OS has nothing to do with this, I like Vista more than I could ever appreciate XP, but I've read and heard a lot of critics from who uses PCs and not Macs.
A Mac fanboy would usually say PCs suck, or Windows/Microsoft sucks... not specifically Vista, IMO
Either way, what limits is the OP referring to?
Bluetooth, HD (as in recording and playing), CPU clock etc or merely iPhone 3g vs 3gs functions?
From a business point of view it usually makes sense as it also does for Mercedes to limit their cars

Synthetickiller

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2009
People who complain about vista haven't upgraded from a P4 yet.

I have been running vista for 2 years with no issues and I find it more stable than xp any day. Maybe it's just n00bs who can't figure out how to manage an OS right.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008

Dude, I am far from a MAC fanboy as this is my first Mac I have owned after 25 years of owning PC / Windows based machines. I only got it 2 weeks ago.

I also am the IT Director for a school and will again tell you Vista is not that good. I had a dual boot system on my work pc with Win 7 RC. When that just expired, I had to go back to my Vista business and the speed and response time I lost is amazing between the two operating systems. Now I have so much lag with programs that it's pissing me off.

Technical people that know the O/S inside and out are the ones bashing it. The ones that just use a O/S for simple email, web browsing like yourself do not know any better and think Vista is fine. Try it in a business world. Most Businesses won't use VISTA because of these reasons and still use XP. Reason why XP is still available!!!!

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
People who complain about vista haven't upgraded from a P4 yet.

I have been running vista for 2 years with no issues and I find it more stable than xp any day. Maybe it's just n00bs who can't figure out how to manage an OS right.

Microsoft produce some great operating systems (e.g. Windows 2003, Windows 2007 and Windows 7) but IMO Vista isn't one of them: The UAC is simply annoying and the network performance, whilst improved from the debacle of the initial release, is still poor. Furthermore, at an enterprise level it doesn't offer enough of a compelling reason to upgrade from XP, which is why sales in that sector have suffered. For the record, I have been working with Microsoft operating systems since MS-DOS 2.0 so I'm far from a "n00b" and Vista, IMO is comparable to the train wreck that was Windows ME.

Anyway, to answer the OPs question, they do it so that they can persuade people to upgrade every year - drip feeding features is, unfortunately, one of Apple's less appealing sides

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Turn it off. I did upon the initian install.

You can very easily, but they also could have made it more like Win7 and less intrusive. Sadly, Vista has a lot more issues with it than just UAC. Reason why Microsoft had to rewrite the whole code for the O/S to make it run faster under a different Kernel.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
If Vista is so wonderful, why do all faculty/staff members who get new systems with Vista on them bring them into us so we can put XP on it?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Turn it off. I did upon the initian install.

That doesn't make it any less of an annoying feature - it just makes it a disabled annoying feature! The fact remains that UAC was ill-conceived and badly executed which is fairly typical of large parts of Vista. What about the other points I raised in my post?

theITGuy

macrumors 6502a
If Vista is so wonderful, why do all faculty/staff members who get new systems with Vista on them bring them into us so we can put XP on it?

Well that could be good marketing of the "Vista Sux"...or resistance to change (which is a big impediment generally)...

...seriously though...Vista blows dead bears on a northbound road...7 seems to be a promising service pack...

Cheers.

-J.-

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
It's not just with the iPhone, it's with all cellphone manufacturers. They have to keep you wanting the next one and the next one and the only way to do that is to hold off. This is why most cellphones only have 2-3MP cameras and other things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.