Why does "Apple Network 879beb" sometimes appear in my airport?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RangerFan104, Aug 16, 2009.

1. RangerFan104 macrumors newbie

Sometimes when looking at WiFi in AirPort there is one called "Apple Network 879beb". It is locked and goes away very soon. What is this? Why doesn't it stay on?

THANKS.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It's probably someone else's network. Where you are the signal strength is very weak, so it cuts in and out.

3. celticpride678

It is someone else's network. The signal is probably weak and it goes away fast.

4. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Do you mean like this?
    The second one showed up after a new guy moved into my apartment building. I made sure that File Sharing was turned off and tightened up my password a bit. Life in the communal fast lane.

Dale

Attached Files:

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You live in an apartment building and you only have two wireless networks in range? I've seen up to fifteen listed in my AirPort menu...

6. RangerFan104 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes that's basically what it looks like.. besides the different name and such. I just don't know anyone in my vicinity with an apple computer. Hm.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Wish there was an option to remove these networks from the UI. To tell the OS "this network is my neighbor, and I will definitely _not_ ever want to use this network. Don't show it to me again".

There is not necessarily an Apple computer involved. The network name is just a name, you can take an all-PC network and call it "Apple Computers rule", and it will work just fine. Well, just as fine as any other all-PC network.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Sure, but would you really append a random hexadecimal number to the end of your custom network name?

9. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

It makes the person who created it look smart. And they can tell their friends that it gives it 10x the speed. :p

10. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

A friend of mine has one that comes and goes, he has no idea whose it is, its called "F*** OFF" :eek:

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Except that's the last 6 digits of the MAC address for the Airport Base Station.

12. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

haha i live in a house (not an apartment) and I sometimes see 10 networks... then again there's apartments on either side of my house. Also: you should set your network to be hidden for extra security.

13. belvdr macrumors 603

Just know that anyone who can use Google can use a tool to discover the SSID.