Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The only reason it wasn't a big issue was because it only jumps to cellular data when wifi is weak or network speeds are slow. This means most people when home, would only notice this when out of range. This typically only happens when people are leaving home, or if their home network loses connectivity with the internet. Since this isn't an every day thing, I would say majority didn't even notice.

Since 9.0 was only out for 7 or so days before 9.0.1, we may never know how big of an issue it could have been for users, I would assume that 9.0.1 changed the indicator issue.
It seems like it's an assumption that there might have been a bug there and only forms very short time. But in any case, going back to the context of this diffusion, the indicator for WiFi changes with WiFi Assist, yet that certainly hasn't gotten in the way of people not even knowing that, not noticing it, or not caring about it when it comes to blaming it and Apple on their data usage.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I have EE double speed 4G in the UK. It's faster than my WIFI and I get 28GB of data a month.

So why won't Apple let me download a tv programme over 4G?

Because 28 GB a month still isn't much, and as a rule, WIFI is cheaper. WIFI is also not subject to international roaming charges for those who travel.

But yes, it's because most people are stupid.

theshoehorn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Or maybe "steal" from Android and put in a data meter, set your data cap and warn the heck out of people when they are coming close, and then again when you pass it... Can't claim negligence when you have to tap a button to dismiss the warming.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
It is incredibly annoying and about time Apple at least let us override it if we want to even if they leave the default as it is.

I have 30gb of data on my Phone and 10gb on my iPad and what I end up doing if I'm out and need to download something over their limits is tether my phone to my iPad or vice-versa which then lets me download unrestricted

Another thing that is incredibly frustrating is the fact that iCloud photos only uploads over WiFi - if I'm away from wifi for a couple of days any photo I take during that time is at risk, which is why I now use Google Photos instead

Now only your privacy is at risk.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Google photos not data mined? I don't think so

It isn't if you pay for a Google Apps for Work account as per their privacy policy

Ernst & Young, an independent auditor, has verified that our privacy practices and contractual commitments forGoogle Apps for Work and Google Apps for Education comply with ISO/IEC 27018:2014. For example:

• We do not use your data for advertising
  • The data that you entrust with us remains yours
  • We provide you with tools to delete and export your data
  • We are transparent about where your data is store

Only free Google accounts are data mined

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
That's pretty sweet than. How much storage do u get with Google photos ?

I use Google Apps Unlimited so I get as much as I want (currently storing 4TB on my GDrive, including photos at full resolution): It costs £33.00 a month for 5 users (if you have less than 5, each user only gets 1TB)

At one point I used Google Apps for all my business related stuff, but I've moved email and documents onto Office 365 now as I prefer Microsoft's office apps to Google's, so the Google account is really just there for storage: I copy all the Office 365 stuff across to GDrive using CloudHQ and then the Google accounts are backed up using spanning backup

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.