Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nicksd84

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2010
Atlanta, GA
My N1 lasts twice as long as my 3GS. I use both phones and they both have their pluses and minuses. I am comparing battery life on an 11 month old iphone to a 2 month old N1, so it may not be a fair comparison.

lol. That is absolutely not a fair comparison. Not saying the N1 might be better anyway, but that's an awful comparison. I've never bought a second battery for a phone, I feel bad for those people that might actually need one. However, I absolutely wouldn't.

JustLeft

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
The point was if I encounter the same issue with the N1 I can fix it for $25. Can't say the same thing with the 3GS. Many people see no need for a second battery. Maybe I am the exception. When traveling I always like the option of having a spare battery charged and ready. I have been stranded in an airport, ran the phone battery down to nothing (working with the airlines to get alternative reservations), with no plugs available.

When traveling with the iphone, with the crappy battery life I currently experience, I can only get through the day if I shut all data down and only use the phone for only calls.

I'm hoping the new iphone lives up to the rumors and has a larger battery.

lol. That is absolutely not a fair comparison. Not saying the N1 might be better anyway, but that's an awful comparison. I've never bought a second battery for a phone, I feel bad for those people that might actually need one. However, I absolutely wouldn't.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
agree.

i wouldnt mind the option of being able to open the back cover by the screws and replacing the batteries ourselves (without voiding warranty) though.

but i hate phones with flimsy back cases that come off if you drop it. the all in one look of the iPhone is perfect, and shouldnt be changed.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I don't think there's much truth to the claim that a non-replaceable battery saves space or allows a larger battery. Other phones are as thin or thinner and can have larger batteries.

Agreed, the problem of dropping and flying apart is definitely there if you're the dropsy type. A case with screws would solve that.

I use swappable batteries all the time. Every week my wife forgets to charge her phone, so thank goodness I always have a spare charged and ready to go for her.

For myself, I sometimes use a phone all day and by evening it's almost dead. No problem with swappable batteries... just pop in the charged spare and I'm good all night while my buddies without spares are dead in the water.

I do think that people without swappable batteries often limit themselves, perhaps without noticing, to actions that extend the phone all day.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I use these. I get 3 full charges of my phone per battery (I have 2 batteries). That's when my phone hits 20% roughly. If I am using the phone while charging, I can get an extra 4-6 hours per battery depending on how heavy I am using the phone. If I turn it off and let it charge, it's full charge in no time. You can see they are pretty small when compared to the phone. About the same thickness too.

The batteries can charge ANY USB device that will allow it. The batteries can be charged by the wall charger (APC's or iPhones will work) or via any powered USB port on a computer, car, cable box or the like.

Rarely do I have to use them but they have helped quite a few times when I could not charge via normal methods or the power was out. Very handy to have.

I could care less about a user replaceable battery. At least with these batteries, I can charge them without being in the phone or dock unlike most replaceable batteries.

Attachments

• IMG_5022_resize.JPG
    IMG_5022_resize.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5025_resize.JPG
    IMG_5025_resize.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 67

Nicksd84

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The point was if I encounter the same issue with the N1 I can fix it for $25. Can't say the same thing with the 3GS. Many people see no need for a second battery. Maybe I am the exception. When traveling I always like the option of having a spare battery charged and ready. I have been stranded in an airport, ran the phone battery down to nothing (working with the airlines to get alternative reservations), with no plugs available.

When traveling with the iphone, with the crappy battery life I currently experience, I can only get through the day if I shut all data down and only use the phone for only calls.

I'm hoping the new iphone lives up to the rumors and has a larger battery.

Point taken, but if you're in that much of a need, wouldn't you just keep a back up battery source handy? I'm sure you know of the multitude of options out there. Maybe not as ideal as simply swapping the battery out, but if it's a big issue for you then there are some solutions out there.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
my experiences with removable batteries:

toshiba laptop with 2 batteries, it was a pain keeping them both charged, and to swap batteries, I had to shut the laptop down. A separate charger for the laptop's extra battery was prohibitively expensive and would be rendered obsolete when I got a new laptop.

Palm Treo 680, also had two batteries with it. Both batteries were equally bad on capacity. It was a pain keeping them both charged again and carrying around the extra battery was quite cumbersome. In the end, it was just too much of a problem and the phone crashed frequently too. Extra chargers were also pricey and only worked with the particular phone.

my experiences with sealed batteries:

iphone battery lasts longer, never really had a problem with running out of power. Also already had a ton of iphone chargers thanks to previous ipod purchases. Since I had a lot of classes in a computer lab, the USB ports on the computers served as really convenient charging ports for my iphone.
Later on, got myself an external battery pack, works great, I can charge it together with my iphone or independently via a standard usb port. Carrying around the external pack isn't much more cumbersome than a spare battery. In addition, thanks to the dock connector, with future iphone purchases, all my chargers now are still compatible and work great.

that same external battery pack also works with the ipad, ipod touch, ipod classic, ipod nano...
Sealed batteries are terrific if they're well supported.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Would have liked a replaceable battery before the iPad. Did a few trips that I was desperately looking for a socket at an airport to charge up my iPhone 1G. Hated looking like a refuge sitting on the floor next to a socket. :eek: lol

Would have preferred swapping batteries....

SugarMouth

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2010
-The battery is something that has to be replaced once or twice every few years, so why do you need that constant access all year long?

Thats an easy one. While your at the airport leaning against a wall, plugged into a socket, talking on your iPhone because you ran out of charge; I am comfortably sitting in a chair or buying some food talking on my phone with a replaceable battery.

-On my phone (and many other phones I'm sure) this is an annoying feature, and I accidentally pop it out all the time (and therefore it shuts off)

That is a non-issue for me. Try just popping the cover off a N1

-Without it, the iPhone looks better (no ugly back to it), looks less cheap, and less like other phones

I am not sure what looks cheap about a soft touch material mixed in with metal http://www.google.com/googlephone/tour/ . I would agree with you on the older phones but you can't compare a iPhone to older phones.

-Without the battery compartment and release mechanisms etc. the iPhone has more space inside for stuff (like a bigger battery) and has one less thing that can break

Bigger battery? Nope

There's probably very few people who agree with me (besides Apple's engineers), and I'm just curious as to why it's such a big issue, and why it is always used as a point when attacking iPhone (or when complaining about your iPhone)

Well you can't install a fresh battery when traveling. When the iPhone battery starts to lose its charge, you have to spend $90 to replace it!

Ever heard of http://www.mophie.com ? They are in the business of selling bulky overly priced battery extenders to the people who own phones without replaceable batteries.

I am not a fanboy of the N1 or Android. I own both a iPhone and a N1. I do however think a replaceable battery has its advantages

Let me know your thoughts on the subject.
:):):)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Really? If it was the android phone that had a bigger longer lasting battery enclosed in the phone and the Iphone had a battery that could be easily removed you wouldn't be telling us how much better the android design was?

My point was theapplegeek posted that only by a sealed battery are you going to have a beautiful sleek design. The N1 has nice lines, a user replaceable battery that is easily changed.

My N1's battery lasts as long as my old iPhone ever did and that is even more surprising given Job's stance on multitasking kills batteries.

So I get the same battery with multitasking, a beautifully designed phone that I don't need to visit an apple store to swap batteries. The cost is also much much less then what apple is charging.

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
I have an N1 and a 3GS. Agree with you 100%. It can be tough to remove the battery cover on the N1, but once you get the hang of it it is straightfoward. Also, a 2nd battery cost me $25, which is quite a bit cheaper than an iphone battery.

My 3GS battery life is horrible. I have to charge it 2-3 times a day. I have been to the apple store twice and they say the battery life is normal. What a joke! It used to be much better than it is now. My N1 gets twice the battery life of my 3GS. When the battery dies its replacement cost $25. The 3GS battery is 4x's the price.
You have to charge your iPhone 3 times a day?

SugarMouth

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2010
My point was theapplegeek posted that only by a sealed battery are you going to have a beautiful sleek design. The N1 has nice lines, a user replaceable battery that is easily changed.

My N1's battery lasts as long as my old iPhone ever did and that is even more surprising given Job's stance on multitasking kills batteries.

So I get the same battery with multitasking, a beautifully designed phone that I don't need to visit an apple store to swap batteries. The cost is also much much less then what apple is charging.

Very well put!

JustLeft

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
I have considered other solutions for the battery to recharge it. The only thing that has stopped me is that I don't want anything specific to the iphone, as I upgrade every year. Anything that is model specific is out. Blown too much money on those kind of things only to have them be useless when I get another phone. (I'd rather just blow my money on phones)

Some of the aux battery chargers that I have seen in this thread are not iphone specific, and are things that I would consider purchasing.

Point taken, but if you're in that much of a need, wouldn't you just keep a back up battery source handy? I'm sure you know of the multitude of options out there. Maybe not as ideal as simply swapping the battery out, but if it's a big issue for you then there are some solutions out there.

JustLeft

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
Yes. I check RSS feeds 3 times during the day and will have maybe 30 minutes of phone conversations. It never used to be this bad. Taken it into Apple and they give me the canned response - normal battery usage.

Most days it is 2 times a day, but as of late it has moved to 3. It is getting worse.

You have to charge your iPhone 3 times a day?

JustLeft

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
Totally agree. My N1 has as sleek (or sleeker) design and feels better in the hand than my 3GS. Main issue with the N1 is the keyboard. The iphone keyboard blows away the N1 - there is no comparison.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Mostly because you are not going to hear from people who don't complain about the battery. For me, the built in battery is just fine--just like my electric shaver. ;)

JustLeft

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
I believe the reason for that is that this is a problem that hits a limited number of apple handsets. My son has a 3GS and has not had issues with battery life. They were bought on the same day. My wife has my old 3G, which has a bigger battery, that is almost 2 years old and she has no battery issues. Just me.

Mostly because you are not going to hear from people who don't complain about the battery. For me, the built in battery is just fine--just like my electric shaver. ;)

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
I like the battery on the iPhone the way it is now. I think a removable battery would just add unnecessary bulk to the phone.

JustLeft

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
Irish Rose if you ever get a chance to hold a Nexus 1, take a look at how they did the battery door. Best battery door I have ever had. No creaks of any type. Also the N1 is thinner than the iphone. So HTC has figured out how to do it. The first time that I removed the battery door I was afraid I would break the phone. Those not familiar with the phone would never know that the back cover comes off.

Even if there were some screws that could be removed to allow user replacement of the battery without voiding the warranty, I would be happy.

It's a far cry from the Treo's that I owned.
I like the battery on the iPhone the way it is now. I think a removable battery would just add unnecessary bulk to the phone.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
@Sugarmouth

I like my Mophie Juice Pack Air just fine thank you very much. It protects the phone, works fine, it allows my to free myself of the proprietary iPhone connector in favor of micro-USB, and I never lose work when swapping batteries. If I don't need it, I have the slim iPhone on its own.

Just like a replaceable battery (which, by the way, is not free), but accomplishes more, and it's always with the phone....

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Irish Rose if you ever get a chance to hold a Nexus 1, take a look at how they did the battery door. Best battery door I have ever had. No creaks of any type. Also the N1 is thinner than the iphone. So HTC has figured out how to do it. The first time that I removed the battery door I was afraid I would break the phone. Those not familiar with the phone would never know that the back cover comes off.

Even if there were some screws that could be removed to allow user replacement of the battery without voiding the warranty, I would be happy.

It's a far cry from the Treo's that I owned.

I don't really know anyone that has the Nexus one, but I have seen the HTC Incredible, and it is thin even though it has a removable battery. I think Apple could do it if they wanted to.

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
I'm still using my original iPhone with the original battery. Never had a problem with either. Not bad for 3 years. :D

If you got three years out of your battery, that is great. The max that I have gotten on any of my cell phones was 2 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.