Why does everyone here get freaked out...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by groovdudeyo, Jan 23, 2009.

1. groovdudeyo macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

When you ask if you can put mac os x on a pc but it seams almost normal to jailbreak an ipod touch? I mean theyre both illegal.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Neither are, actually.

As an end-user, you can buy Leopard retail and install OS X on a PC.

And what makes jailbreaking illegal?

3. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

Im not sure i guess i just assumed jailbreaking was illegal because everyone is so careful to not take a jailbroken touch to apple because youll get fined. but really why do you people get so freaked out just because someone wants leopard on their PC?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

FINED?! :eek: HA! :D All that will happen is you get your warranty voided.

Because in most circumstances, the person ISN'T buying Leopard/Tiger to put on their PC. They're obtaining the software through an illegal means as they would any other software.

Whereas in the case of the iPhone/iPod touch, even though it isn't illegal at all, they HAVE to buy something from Apple to do it.

5. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

6. shadownddust macrumors member

Though I think that according to the EULA for Leopard, you aren't allowed to put it on a machine that's not manufactured by Apple. I think that was the whole thing that Apple was trying to enforce on Psystar. I'm not sure if this was overturned by a court or something.

Also, with the amount of money I spend on a device from Apple, I wouldn't want to risk voiding my warranty in case something does happen and I don't have the $100+ to fix something that should have been covered.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There is an ongoing court case between Apple and Psystar, with various suits and countersuits–some of which have been thrown out.

Nothing has been decided yet, but I imagine that we'll know the outcome by the middle of this year.

8. 11800506 macrumors 65816

While it isn't illegal per say, violating the EULA is unethical and against the terms that Apple requires you to agree to when using their software. So obviously, while it isn't recommended it isn't illegal in the defined sense of the word.

9. morespce54 macrumors 65816

morespce54

Well, technically, Jail-Breaking *is* illegal...
    But not in the software/hardware field ;)

(It's more like, you don't have the right to get out of jail by your own...;))

10. bartelby macrumors Core

The reason people get freaked out is Apple are mainly a hardware company. If you can install OS X on crappy cheap PCs you don't need to spend a small fortune on Apple hardware.

The iPhone is different as you actually have to buy the iPhone to jailbreak. Apple have had their money, at some point, so they're not that bothered.

11. cerealj macrumors member

I don't think of Apple as just a hardware company because, let's be honest, their hardware isn't great. Recent Apple laptops especially are poorly built and overpriced for the hardware you get. I only use Apple for OSX.

I'm amazed at how the new Macbooks just seem to fall apart. If I could purchase a copy of OSX and install it on a new Dell notebook (ie, the new Insprion 13 C2D) I would do it in a heartbeat.

12. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

Fall apart? I've had mine for 3 months now and it's the best portable computer I've ever owned. People on this forum are just OCD about everything which turns out bad for forum readers because it makes them afraid of the products. My MacBook has no flaws and I'm sure 95% of the people out there don't either.

13. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Fall apart? Really? Do you even own a new aluminum MB?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll take the MacBook, thanks...

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

Nothing to stop you from trying to install Leopard on a Dell, but if it doesn't work well you can't call Apple and complain that Leopard on a Dell doesn't access the net properly (or anything else). Nor will you get any support form Apple. OSx is picky about what hardware works with it. Some people do it but it's against the EULA. I could probably do it myself if I wanted to, but it's too much hassle for something would take more of my time to get it working than it would be worth. I'd much rather pay for an Apple and get hardware and software support. You can take an MacBook to an Apple store for repairs; can you do that with a Dell?

15. cerealj macrumors member

Nope, and I'm not going to.

These forums alone give me enough reason not to, you must see the threads in here. Half of them are about Macbooks experiencing big problems. PC laptops have lots of problems too, but I'm not going to spend nearly double for a laptop that isn't any better quality (and quite possibly worse). I'm happy with the reliable desktop iMac.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Ugh...

Do you know why you only see problems on a forum? Because, think about it: who wastes their time saying, "HOWLY CARP, MY MACKBOOK WORKZ PERFECT, TKX APPLoneoneonefifteen" on a forum?

You will ALWAYS see more failures than "goods" here, simply because people don't care how something works unless it breaks, and then they come to get the help from the people who do know these things.

17. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

People go on forums to bitch and complain... it's what they do... go to any forum and they're exactly the same. It's a place to complain. This place would be "why is my dell over heating" etc, blah blah blah if it was a dell forum...

18. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

:D :D :D LMFAO!!!

19. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I dunno..

Go ahead, buy retail copy of OSX, invest in cheap PC and have fun installing.
    Most of us don't really care!! Apple still making money! And in most cases you'll mostly likely experience problems trying to utilises it's auto update.

20. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Hahaha...

and a major waste of ones and zeros...

21. danvan21 macrumors regular

U serious? It's a single priece of aluminum. Its not a chunk of plastic

22. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I started out on with osx86 on my compaq PC, it worked like a charm. Still does actually. I recently aquired a macbook and essentially don't use my PC, but it was still a very nice thing.

23. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

unless you use iAtkos or Kalyway.

by the way even thinking such things is very naughty. Apparently.

24. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Not illegal just against the EULA which no one ever seems to give a damn about these days anyways. I've got a pwned iPhone and I love the fact that it can be done to add functionality beyond what Apple gives you with the device and app store. As far as OSX is concerned Apple makes its money on hardware sales (and if anyone bitches about how macs are absurdly expensive compared to pc's I'm gonna smack someone) and when you install OSX you detract from that.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/apple-mac-leopard-windows-vista,1985.html - If anyones interested in the apple vs mac article.