Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macjram

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
Lol, tbh: who cares? Not to be mean, but I don't see them all over the internet as if they are owning it.

Maybe it's because I bought my domain from them for ~$2, or maybe because it's 3AM, but if it's their domain, then they bought it, and then own it.

Having those domains don't mean they own the internet.

But I guess I kinda see your point? Ehh...

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Those web sites must not be very good though because I've never come across them in a Google search when trying to troubleshoot things.

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
Godaddy reserves the right to take the domains you bought from them so I would NEVER buy anything there. It can be very disastrous for any company.

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Godaddy has the potential to be very bad. And they oversell their services like crazy. You have to go through 3 or 4 pages of "No Thanks" when buying a domain. Then after they send you a verification email, there are a bunch of "deals" on there too. Pathetic.

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
I know someone who did a website that was against the rules at GoDaddy. It was legal but against their rules. Instead of banning him from their hosting, they put a parking page on his domain and just banned him. He never got his domain back, it expired the year after.

That is the only situation where I saw that but 1 is more than I need to stay very clear of them and carefully read the agreements whenever I buy something as important as a domain.

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
I know someone who did a website that was against the rules at GoDaddy. It was legal but against their rules. Instead of banning him from their hosting, they put a parking page on his domain and just banned him. He never got his domain back, it expired the year after.

That is the only situation where I saw that but 1 is more than I need to stay very clear of them and carefully read the agreements whenever I buy something as important as a domain.

going against the rules is different from them just arbitrarily taking over your website. Its their skin on the line if they are hosting questionable sites.

Captain Awesome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
Vancouver/Tsawassen, Canada
Oh jeez and I've got like 20 domains with them :rolleyes:

If they decide they don't like my site (Is it any of their business if I'm not even hosting with them??), they can just take the name and sell it for thousands?

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
Oh jeez and I've got like 20 domains with them :rolleyes:

If they decide they don't like my site (Is it any of their business if I'm not even hosting with them??), they can just take the name and sell it for thousands?

If they do what they did to him, they would just put a GoDaddy parking page and let the domain die. You'd have to watch when it expires and hope to get it back.

I'm not saying that banning them is not ok. It's their hosting, they can host who they want. The domain thought, is NOT ok. It's supposed to be yours and yours only. They can kick you out all they want, but they shouldn't have the right to steal your brand name, whatever rule you broke. If it's against the law, let the judge decide.

If anyone wants a reliable domain registrar that will not do something like that, use 1&1. Your domains are safe with them. You can point them at any hosting and they are pretty cheap too.

Captain Awesome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
Vancouver/Tsawassen, Canada
If they do what they did to him, they would just put a GoDaddy parking page and let the domain die. You'd have to watch when it expires and hope to get it back.

I'm not saying that banning them is not ok. It's their hosting, they can host who they want. The domain thought, is NOT ok. It's supposed to be yours and yours only. They can kick you out all they want, but they shouldn't have the right to steal your brand name, whatever rule you broke. If it's against the law, let the judge decide.

If anyone wants a reliable domain registrar that will not do something like that, use 1&1. Your domains are safe with them. You can point them at any hosting and they are pretty cheap too.

A friend I know uses name dot com if that's any better.
I don't use GoDaddy's hosting.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas

Here's the thing though, you are not buying the actual domain - you are leasing it for 1 or 2 years. Read the agreement. If you were to actually purchase it, why would you need to renew it? Why would it be so cheap?

Forget GoDaddy.

Is network solutions any good? I need a new domain rather then a no-ip.org site.

The domain thought, is NOT ok.

I agree. I don't wanna buy a domain for maybe 30 bucks or something and then they decided they want to ban me for a little rule I may have broken.

doox00

macrumors regular
May 10, 2006
I have my domains through enom.com they were registered originally through cheapestregistry.com though.

NoNameBrand

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2005
Halifax, Canada
Is network solutions any good?

No. I have to administer ~30 domains registered through Network Solutions at work. Five pages of up-sell to click through (and you have to hunt for the varying 'no thanks' or 'continue without' buttons) to renew. Incredibly frustrating.

We use registeryour.ca for our .ca domains, but while they don't have any up-sell, their site is a bit dodgy looking, and they don't use HTTP/SSL for managing your account (billing does though).

I think a lot of the shared webhosting companies have much better domain registration systems, prices & policies, so if you need hosting too, go for one of those.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I think a lot of the shared webhosting companies have much better domain registration systems, prices & policies, so if you need hosting too, go for one of those.

Web hosting companies often do have a better system, price, and policy. However, I run a small web host and would never recommend that customers buy domains through their hosting company. Hosting companies come and go like crazy. They're always merging together, un-merging together, transferring accounts, etc. So unless your hosting company is one you are positive is going to stick around for a long time, I would buy the domain elsewhere. I use namecheap.com but there are plenty of good ones.

I agree that 1&1 is OK, but when I used to use them, they had no way to transfer a domain to someone else's account (like namecheap and godaddy do).

SeanChandler

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2004
Calgary, Alberta Canada
Use Network Solutions

In 12+ years of registering domains, I have always had excellent service from Network Solutions.

The $20 you save per year with other registrars is not worth the risk - I have had domain transfers take months, and have lost one domain for no reason other than the unscrupulous, indifferent and even fraudulent activities of other registrars.

I agree 100% with all suggestions to separate your domain from your hosting. It's just good practice and can really save your bacon if your web hosting provider starts to act up and you need to move sites.

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
In 12+ years of registering domains, I have always had excellent service from Network Solutions.

The $20 you save per year with other registrars is not worth the risk - I have had domain transfers take months, and have lost one domain for no reason other than the unscrupulous, indifferent and even fraudulent activities of other registrars.

I agree 100% with all suggestions to separate your domain from your hosting. It's just good practice and can really save your bacon if your web hosting provider starts to act up and you need to move sites.

I couldn't have said the bolded part better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.