Why does Hotmail all of a sudden work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Double J, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Double J macrumors member

Through the mail app? It never used to work (unless you paid extra so you could forward to gMail), and yesterday I accidentally pushed the icon, and boom -- all my mail. Photos and everything. Didn't hear anything about this. Does it have anything to with what's going on today?

2. kicko macrumors 65816

No Hotmail began support i believe in dec/january, 1st in every country other then the USA then 2 weeks later everywhere. I think i have had mine setup for a few months.

3. macgrl macrumors 65816

How does one go about setting it up? Is it the same as with gmail and yahoo? Does it work with live.com addresses. Cheers. :)

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Microsoft allowed POP3 access without the need to Hotmail Plus subscription to some countries in the world.

Check the blog on Hotmail or Windows Live Mail for more info on which countries is POP3 access allowed.

5. macgrl macrumors 65816

oh, ok so it is not imap like gmail or yahoo on the iphone.

Thank you for letting me know, I will try it anyway.:)

6. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No IMAP support. That's going to take another 15 years for MS to give out....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. macgrl macrumors 65816

I know, it is amazing how far behind gmail that hotmail are, considering that they were one of the first free email providers. They just don't seem very interested in competing.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Remember MS is out there to make $$ from Hotmail users. Allowing POP3 access doesn't let them benefit from the $$ they make from plastering your email filled with ads on the top or button.

So, there is no incentive from them to do so. Google on the other hand doesn't need to feed you ads while you view your email. By using Google or looking at almost every page you will see its an ad service ran by Google which in a way, pay for Gmail.

10. Double J thread starter macrumors member

Odd that I didn't hear anything about it. Even when I googled it, I didn't see any sort of announcement. It looks like it's not really in sync with the account though, because all of the mail is shown on my phone as being unread, and anything I delete from my iPhone will still show up when I access mail on the web. But at least I don't have to use the god-awful Hotmail mobile site any more.