Why does it seem like everyone thinks 3.0 is coming out next month?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, May 8, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yes, I know WWDC is next month, but so what! That doesn't mean 3.0 is going to ship next month. If I am remembering correctly, Apple said "Summer" not "June".

So they might demo 3.0 again at WWDC and show off some secret features that were withheld from the developer version of 3.0 along with a new iPhone, but I don't think that they'll release it just then.

I think they'll show off the new iPhone and 3.0 at WWDC and then they'll ship the new iPhone along with 3.0 in early July.

It just seems like everyone has this idea that 3.0 is definitely scheduled for June for some reason. I, however, am not giving my hopes up and I'm planning on having to wait and wait again like we always do. Lemme show you what I mean.

Everyone figured the App Store was coming March '08.... nope.
    Push is coming in September '08.... Yeah right
    Leopard was delayed a while too.

So don't assume that 3.0 is coming out in June.

Lemme just finish by saying. I will be delighted if 3.0 hits in June, but I'm not holding my breath. That's all I'm saying. June would be great, but I just don't see it.

2. PrimeCipher macrumors member

Because it is...

Everyone thinks that way because it will be coming out in June, just like 2.0 did last year.

Apple does it this way so that any serious bugs that might be overlooked can be dealt with prior to the new iPhone being released and distributed to a vast number of people within the United States and even worldwide.

That's why everyone assumes it will be coming out in June, because it will be.

3. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

It's called decaf, try some.

This is MacRumors.com. If people weren't rampantly speculating about issues, releases, etc this would be MacFacts.com. :p

4. JCastro macrumors 6502a

This is my thinking too. My thoughts were, June announcement and a July release like last year. Last years official release date was July 10, 2008.

5. griz macrumors 6502a

Last I checked. Summer started in June. So in a way, the argument should be against a 3.0 release at WWDC. It certainly can release in Summer and in June. That would also be 2 weeks after WWDC. Which doesn't seem out of the question.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

iPhone OS 2.0 was released on July 11th, about a month or so after the iPhone 3G was announced.

If a new phone is announced at WWDC it will likely happen this way again as the 4 - 5 week gap is the time it takes for a fast-tracked US FCC approval process. This way Apple shows off the hardware rather than the FCC.

2.0 was released in July and July is when I believe we'll see 3.0 in conjunction with new hardware shipping.

7. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

You are wrong. In another thread I detailed why 3.0 will have to be released by June 29, buggy or not. As long as Apple gets 3.0 out by June 29, it will be able to offer 3.x builds with minor enhancements and bug fixes to all current iPhone users for free.

8. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

Yes, I agree that although last year it wasn't released until July 10, now that the iPhone is so big, wouldn't Apple want to get it out to the consumer as fast as they can?

9. danimal99 macrumors regular

Spaz if you really are a developer then you know 3.0 is going to be released really soon.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It typically fits in with apple's prior history of updates, be they computer, OSX or iPhone related. They've been using WWDC as a platform to at the very least announce an update if not release it outright.

My guess is they'll announce the iPhone 3.0 phone and OS but it won't be immediately available.

11. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Didnt Scott Forstall say it was coming in June? :confused:

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Wasn't there an argument that it had to be within a certain time for the update to be free for iPhone 3G users due to the financial GAAP system?

Put another way - what would WWDC be like if it wasn't ready?

"Hello everybody: we haven't got a tablet, Snow Leopard isn't going to be ready for 2-3 months, OS 3.0 isn't ready yet, the next iPhone isn't ready yet but here's a taster. So we're going to bump the MacBook line with Penryns and iG209s and maybe ooh the 9600M GT is bumped too. No Arrandale for a few months though, sorry.
    Look at the accessories we've got for the new iPhone you can't have yet, with the OS you can't update to yet. It's got video finally you know.
    One more thing - the best is yet to come. Have you seen the updated Calculator? "

13. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

14. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

They'll definitely preview the new iPhone and iPhone OS at WWDC but, I don't think it will be coming out that day.

Oh and just because I'm a developer doesn't mean I know when the final release is going to be ready.

I guess what I'm saying is... I don't wanna get all hyped up for 3.0 to come out in June and then have to wait until July sometime to get it. Right now, I'm going to assume it's NOT coming in June so that I don't get disappointed when it doesn't. Do you see my logic here. Apple has really been delaying a lot of things lately and I just don't wanna set myself up for another disappointment.

15. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

16. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

I'd say wishful thinking. If, as reported before, AT&T is paying a percentage of the monthly fees it charges to the original iPhone customers, that would probably be enough of a payment to satisfy accountants. Apple also announced that it is not recording any iPhone revenue until OS3.0 is released. As long as Apple does not mind having this quarter's revenue to be artificially low, it does not "have to" release it by the end of June.

New iPhone hardware rumors are also fairly subdued. I think there would be more of those if the new iPhone release was imminent. Of course, Apple may not want to release the new OS and the new hardware at the same time, but that's what it did last year.

17. kage207 macrumors 6502a

It'll come out in June, IF and only if that a new iPhone is coming out. Reason? You are going to have over 7 million people updating their iPhones to 3.0 OS or at least 5 million. That's a lot of people updating and then people using their new iPhones (if it comes out) that a lot new people would be syncing and doing a lot on iTunes and it might be yet another massive overload. And mainly to make sure Push is in order for the new iPhone.

Otherwise, I see iPhone 3.0 OS released late June or early July.

18. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Nope. It is not monthly fees or any such thing that keep the iPhone and Apple TV updates coming, it is the fact that Apple recognizes the revenue on those two products over 24 months instead of all at once. That makes the very first iPhones ineligible for free significant software functionality improvements, like the 3.0 OS, starting June 29.

Apple is also waiting to recognize the revenue on iPhones sold after the 3.0 announcement until after 3.0 is released.

At least these are Apple's GAAP compliance claims.

19. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

So you're saying that legally after the 29th, Apple cannot update the original iPhone anymore without users having to pay for the updates? What if the user is still paying for AT&T service?

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I agree that apple is recognizing the revenue over a 24 month period however that period did not start on June 29th but rather you, I and every Tom, Dick or Harry purchased the phone. For instance, I purchased mine last december, so apple will amortizing the revenue beginning then, they did not recognize the revenue from my sale last June because I did buy it then.

21. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

That is true, but the backlash that Apple would receive if the VERY FIRST ADOPTERS, of all people, had to pay but the other original iPhone owners didn't, would be severe, especially since Apple has already committed to providing 3.0 free of charge to ALL current iPhone owners.

22. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Its called MacRumors not MacSpeculating

Rumors are not the same as useless speculation, bickering and unfounded claims

Rumor = discussing and spreading information without known authority of truth
    Speculate = to take to be true on the basis of insufficient evidence

I'm with Spaz on this one though, I hate how people are 100% adamant that the new iPhone and 3.0 are going to be released in June.

23. milani macrumors 68000

milani

24. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Oh. I don't get why it matters because it wouldn't make a difference if someone said "in July."

Sorta that sad people stress over things like this.

25. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Further preview of 3.0 at WWDC along with the new iPhone, date will be announced for the release, which should be the end of June or mid July, whenever the new iPhone is released. Why do we id ourselves each time? When was the last time Apple released a major piece of software on the same day as an event? 2.0, 1.1, all came out a few weeks after they were announced at an event. This will be no different.