Why does MacRumors forums suck on iPad?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Viewing/reading is fine, but when I’m responding to a post and I click on the arrow keys to move the cursor, why does it jump the the bottom of the page? Such odd behavior. Doe anyone have any suggestions?

2. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

I agree. It’s horrendous and extremely frustrating. Even worse when using the on screen keyboard. The solution will have to come from Mac Rumors' website designers, who, for the moment, don’t seem to be iPad-friendly.

3. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

4. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

5. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

The only way I do the forums is on my iPad. I'm not seeing any problem.

6. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

I agree that the forum on the iPad feels quite buggy

7. akash.nu macrumors 601

akash.nu

Use

Tapatalk - 200,000+ Forums by Quoord Systemshttps://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/tapatalk-200-000-forums/id307880732?mt=8

8. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

It’s been broken on and off for years for iPad users with keyboards. It is frustrating and makes editing long post or multi-replies nigh on impossible.

If you’re running the iOS 12 beta there is at least a tip to make the extra level of random cursor placement better (though not perfect). Settings -> Safari -> Advanced -> Experimental Features -> Async Frame Scrolling to Off. Credit to @Michael Goff for that one iirc.

9. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

The reviews have me worried. You really like this?

10. Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

Richard8655

Not seeing any buginess here. Clicking on arrow-reply takes me right to the reply box, which is where I want to be. Then click Post Reply.

11. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Use an external keyboard and click arrows on keyboard. The screen goes to the bottom of the page. Backspace too.

12. Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

Richard8655

Sounds like the issue is between using the pop-up keyboard vs an external keyboard.

13. akash.nu macrumors 601

akash.nu

I’ve been using the pro version since last few years without many issues.

14. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I also noticed this immediately when I got my iPad and keyboard case: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...scussion-merged.2111432/page-25#post-26175797

This seems to be an issue with the Xenforo software that MacRumors uses. I see the same issue on another site that's based on Xenforo. Regardless, you'd think that an Apple specific forum would find a fix for this. I participate in a number of other forums that run on other platforms, and they don't have this problem.

15. ericwn macrumors 68000

Me too, but I have to say I struggle to pull the trigger for the pro version. I contacted the developers many times with questions and feedback and have never once received any sort of feedback on my communication with them. Absolutely terrible experience, and the standard version is so ad-infested it’s really ugly.

16. akash.nu macrumors 601

akash.nu

Yeah the ads annoyed me a lot and I just got the pro version. It was only £3.99 or £4.99 i think. Less than a sandwich and drink. So yeah couldn’t care less.

17. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I bought it. Definitely will take some getting used to. I can see some pros and cons already. Thanks for the recommendation. Yeah, sadly, going out to a sandwich shop is more expensive these days. :(

18. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

I honestly thought it was just me at first but apparently this issue has been around since they switched to Xenforo.

19. Feenician, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018

Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

I might be misremembering this but I seem to recall it was fixed at some point, then broken again.

Anyway, that’s an aside. If you just want to edit plain-text comments you can tap the little spanner at the top right of the comment box to use the plain text edit. Mercifully, this works correctly with a keyboard. Anything more advanced than replying to posts in text, you will need to switch between the modes.

Text formatting like, italic, bold and underline you make in the rich editor are preserved, but it’s probably easier if you just remember the tags. If you’re uploading any images, do it at the end.

2F94FC02-1B47-4B4F-8F59-D77B464606B9.jpeg

20. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Yes, I also have the “jump to the bottom of the screen when hitting left arrow” problem. It’s infuriating. I always thought it was an iOS problem, so this is a MacRumors problem?

21. akash.nu macrumors 601

akash.nu

It’s a forum template problem that Mac rumour is using.

22. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

MacRumors uses the Xenforo forum software. I see the same problem on another Xenforo site that I use. But I don't see it on sites that run different forum software (like vBulletin, Vanilla, etc).

23. Ffosse macrumors 65816

Apart from the very occasional exception, I don't use forums on anything smaller than my MacBook as I find it a jarring experience. I don't even write emails on my iPad.

24. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502

eltoslightfoot

I thought I was going crazy. Thanks for posting.

25. Ffosse macrumors 65816

In hospital recently my main device was an Honor 10. I had plenty of data so that wasn't a problem, but when I tried posting on forums was.

First, I would get big ads across the screen despite using Chrome and having an ad blocker. Second, I couldn't find a decent keyboard amongst the ones I had installed. Third, it was just painful navigating a site like MacRumors on a 5.84" screen - there was nothing I could do about that.

Slightly OT relating my phone experiences but I don't believe an iPad would have been any better except being able to use a better keyboard. I would have used my iPad except the hospital didn't have wi-fi.

Macrumors forums weren't any worse than others