Why does my MBP eject everytime it's powered on?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Suno, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

Y'know, it's always been odd to me that my computer did this. It didn't do this when I had a regular HDD (which, I must admit, was only once since I swapped it as soon as I got it), but ever since I had my SSD, it always tries to eject every time the blasted thing turns on. Now it's not problematic or anything, but it garners some glances my way whenever I turn it on at a library or something because it's pretty loud.

Google searches didn't help. Anything related to the CD just gives me results on instructions on how to force eject.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's not ejecting (if you have a disk in there then it'll stay in there). My guess is that the drive is seeing whether there's anything in there.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It's normal operation for it to cycle the optical drive on startup. I've never heard of any way to avoid it.

The best solution is to leave the MBP running and just let it sleep when you're not using it. If you're going to leave it unplugged for more than a couple of days, then you might want to shut it down. Otherwise, there's no real reason to shut it down. Typically, I only restart when required by an update.

I'm not sure why it didn't cycle the drive when there was a HDD installed. Could it be you were paying more attention to it after the swap to the SSD? I can't think of what would make any difference between the two.