Why does my old iPhone 7 Plus seem like it has brighter/better display than my X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Joworld0, Nov 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Joworld0 macrumors newbie

Picked up an X the day of release. And side to side the 7 Plus seems brighter. Is my X defected? No I’m not trolling.
    I messed around with the settings on the X turning True Tone off and on and for some reason the 7 Plus still seemed brighter, what’s going on??
    Is this normal for OLED? Apple claimed the X to be brighter. Please help!!

2. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Post a picture side by side. Depending on the situation LCD panels can be brighter than OLED.

3. Bballrob macrumors regular

Bballrob

Perhaps the brightness in your X is set to low and on your 7 Plus it's set to high.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Some prefer the OLED over LCD, some prefer the LCD. They both have their advantages.

5. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

Because you’re picking up the crack pipe way to often these days?

6. Low country macrumors 6502

My iPhone 8 looks much nicer (brighter, whiter, more colorful) than every X I just compared it to at the Apple Store this morning.

7. Joworld0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly... I was considering trading my X in for an 8 Plus because of this. Big price difference for nothing lol

8. Shark5150 macrumors 65816

Shark5150

9. Joworld0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol how.

10. tivoboy macrumors 68040

Indeed comparing several of the 8+ in the store to the X, the 8+ appears to be brighter (at full of course) and a bit more contrasty than the X. OLED is supposed to be more contrasty, but not necessarily brighter. I find reading on the 8+ more appealing and easier on the eyes. The contrast, white level (even with true tone on both) and overall sharpness to be better on the 8+.. but i will most likely keep the X for size reasons. I just couldn't imagine trying to pocket the 8+ regularly, or put it in a suit/jacket pocket.

I was really hoping that x would be closer to say the apple watch in overall color, sharpness, contrast and bright levels - but it appears not be.