Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I have the 38mm white aluminum. I am not hard on it at all. I just got it on Friday. Should I return it?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    676.7 KB · Views: 1,476
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,159

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I had the sport for a month and never had a single scratch on it, I returned it and bought the stainless and now in 3 weeks I have 2 scratches lol. It happens.

Reactions: 5105973

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I could see the scratch in the first pic, but not second.

Get a screen protector (bestbuy has a good one for $20), and body cover if you're that paranoid (best buy has them too).

Or - skip the cover (def get screen protector though) and accept that you're going to get scratches.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

linhromrom

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
1. Can't see anything (scratches) from the pictures
2. Watch get scratches is like shoes get dirty. Its a watch, what do you expect. My friends' Tag Monaco got scratches like crazy after a year or two and he hardly wear it anywhere unlike Smart Watch, you probably wear it all the time.
3. Its your watch, whether you wanna keep it or not should be entire your decision, why would you ask such personal question to some random ppl on the internet . Funny :D:D:D

Reactions: Micky Do

jasonklee

Suspended
Dec 7, 2007
A $6,000 Les Paul guitar will age with use. Which will then sell for $240,000, if you're the Edge.

Attachments

• gibson_lp_studio_001.jpg~original.jpeg
    gibson_lp_studio_001.jpg~original.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 784
  • 7fd945c6a8e31c502bc77fce6ccfaf53.jpg
    7fd945c6a8e31c502bc77fce6ccfaf53.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:

telefono

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
It was worth clicking on this thread just for the photos of the Les Paul guitars :)

Watches scratch.....its normal

Reactions: Micky Do

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
You could return it if you want probably as the damage looks very minimal, if at all. Don't put a metal band on the aluminum watch as that will cause nicks as you line it up.

The aluminum is going to get nicked up with contact, but it won't get the micro-scratches the SS gets from simply touching it.

Both have pros and cons, as does the DLC watch (Space Black). However, Space Black main drawback is the $1100.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Rubbish, SS Apple watches scratch more easily than AL, but cost significantly more...
BTW; If you have ever own the watch, you should know that this will happen regardless...
All watches scratch easily.
It is just a matter of learning how to live with this... ;)

I have clanked my SS version with my seatbelt and normal belt buckle a bunch by accident and have zero scratches or anything. If you're scratching sapphire, stop carrying loose, sharpened diamonds in your pocket. If you're scratching the stainless steel, about the same.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
You get what you pay for.

Usually, but "scratch resistant," much less "scratch proof," is not one of those things when it comes to jewelry. Fact is gold and platinum, two of the most expensive metals used in fine jewelry are among the "softest" ones, and most prone to scratching.

SS and AL each have their trade offs too. SS is more durable, but also heavier. ( AL has a higher strength:weight. One reason why car makers use it to make engines instead of regular steel these days). It's also less corrosive.

There are reasons for choosing each, but its a stretch to say SS or AU is superior to AL as far as scratching goes. All 3 metals scratch.

___

OP: I don't see any horrific scratches either. But Apple only warrants the operability of the AW, not the aesthetics. So even if you had lots of scratches they aren't going to do anything for you unless you have Apple Care, and even then there is a sizable service fee. So based on your pics I wouldn't worry about it.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
It's also less corrosive.
Well, aluminium is really MORE corrosive than iron/steel, however if properly treated, its oxide byproduct (IE, rust) forms a surface layer which is impervious to oxygen, so the oxidation cannot spread deeper into the metal. That's what happens during an industrial anodization process. Essentially, the aluminium forms a ceramic with oxygen, protecting the rest of the metal...

Acids and impacts/abrasion and so on can ruin this surface of course, but it's pretty durable on the whole. :)

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Well, aluminium is really MORE corrosive than iron/steel, however if properly treated, its oxide byproduct (IE, rust) forms a surface layer which is impervious to oxygen, so the oxidation cannot spread deeper into the metal. That's what happens during an industrial anodization process. Essentially, the aluminium forms a ceramic with oxygen, protecting the rest of the metal...

Acids and impacts/abrasion and so on can ruin this surface of course, but it's pretty durable on the whole. :)

Durable and harder than the naked aluminum.
There was a flashlight maker that used to promote the hardness of their anodizing by using the anodized knurling on their aluminum flashlight body to saw through the inferior anodized aluminum body of a MagLite.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.