Why does my watch get scratches and dings so easily?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Jacoblee23, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

I have the 38mm white aluminum. I am not hard on it at all. I just got it on Friday. Should I return it?

Attached Files:

2. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Can't see anything remarkable on these photos, they're not really sharp anyways. It's a watch and it will get scratches and dings. We had this topic a 100 times here.

Buy Apple Care+ or get rid of it.

3. Brett1203 macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

I had the sport for a month and never had a single scratch on it, I returned it and bought the stainless and now in 3 weeks I have 2 scratches lol. It happens.

4. jds4300 macrumors member

5. chabig macrumors 68040

I don't see any scratches in your pictures, but I did notice you are in a car. Do you think about returning the car when it gets scratched?

6. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

Rubbish, SS Apple watches scratch more easily than AL, but cost significantly more...
    BTW; If you have ever own the watch, you should know that this will happen regardless...
    All watches scratch easily.
    It is just a matter of learning how to live with this... ;)

7. CellXor10 macrumors regular

............huh? Can't see anything in the pictures and the Sport doesn't really show scratches that easily. Mock thread?

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

If you bang it into something it will dent or scratch. You can return and get another but that will not stop you banging it into something again. It is not the watches fault.

9. David58117 macrumors 65816

I could see the scratch in the first pic, but not second.

Get a screen protector (bestbuy has a good one for $20), and body cover if you're that paranoid (best buy has them too).

Or - skip the cover (def get screen protector though) and accept that you're going to get scratches.

10. linhromrom macrumors member

1. Can't see anything (scratches) from the pictures
    2. Watch get scratches is like shoes get dirty. Its a watch, what do you expect. My friends' Tag Monaco got scratches like crazy after a year or two and he hardly wear it anywhere unlike Smart Watch, you probably wear it all the time.
    3. Its your watch, whether you wanna keep it or not should be entire your decision, why would you ask such personal question to some random ppl on the internet . Funny :D:D:D

11. jasonklee, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015

jasonklee macrumors 6502

jasonklee

A $6,000 Les Paul guitar will age with use. Which will then sell for $240,000, if you're the Edge.

Attached Files:

12. applewatch macrumors regular

I'm not sure what I'm looking at here, but you have nice wrists?

13. paul.p macrumors member

paul.p

So pay more get more scratches? I agree

14. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

It was worth clicking on this thread just for the photos of the Les Paul guitars :)

Watches scratch.....its normal

15. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

You could return it if you want probably as the damage looks very minimal, if at all. Don't put a metal band on the aluminum watch as that will cause nicks as you line it up.

The aluminum is going to get nicked up with contact, but it won't get the micro-scratches the SS gets from simply touching it.

Both have pros and cons, as does the DLC watch (Space Black). However, Space Black main drawback is the $1100.

16. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

17. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

It's normal wear and tear. Get over it.

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I have clanked my SS version with my seatbelt and normal belt buckle a bunch by accident and have zero scratches or anything. If you're scratching sapphire, stop carrying loose, sharpened diamonds in your pocket. If you're scratching the stainless steel, about the same.

19. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Return it. It's not for you.

20. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Usually, but "scratch resistant," much less "scratch proof," is not one of those things when it comes to jewelry. Fact is gold and platinum, two of the most expensive metals used in fine jewelry are among the "softest" ones, and most prone to scratching.

SS and AL each have their trade offs too. SS is more durable, but also heavier. ( AL has a higher strength:weight. One reason why car makers use it to make engines instead of regular steel these days). It's also less corrosive.

There are reasons for choosing each, but its a stretch to say SS or AU is superior to AL as far as scratching goes. All 3 metals scratch.

___

OP: I don't see any horrific scratches either. But Apple only warrants the operability of the AW, not the aesthetics. So even if you had lots of scratches they aren't going to do anything for you unless you have Apple Care, and even then there is a sizable service fee. So based on your pics I wouldn't worry about it.

21. Azzin macrumors 68040

Try being more careful.

22. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Well, aluminium is really MORE corrosive than iron/steel, however if properly treated, its oxide byproduct (IE, rust) forms a surface layer which is impervious to oxygen, so the oxidation cannot spread deeper into the metal. That's what happens during an industrial anodization process. Essentially, the aluminium forms a ceramic with oxygen, protecting the rest of the metal...

Acids and impacts/abrasion and so on can ruin this surface of course, but it's pretty durable on the whole. :)

23. Gjwilly, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015

Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Durable and harder than the naked aluminum.
    There was a flashlight maker that used to promote the hardness of their anodizing by using the anodized knurling on their aluminum flashlight body to saw through the inferior anodized aluminum body of a MagLite.

24. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

You're weaing it wrong.

25. jds4300 macrumors member

Because the Apple Watch is a toy. It's just that simple.