Why does people say that too many apps installed can slow down an iphone? Is it true?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FatPuppy, Dec 15, 2013.

1. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I want to downgrade my old iphone to ios 5.0.1 and I want to install some games that are above 1.5 gb until the iphone has only 3 gb of storage free. Why? Because I don't want ios 7 downloaded on my iphone. Now, if I have 3 gb free, will the iphone become slower? And please don't mock me, I also think that this is not true but I am not really sure and I want to see other opinions.:)

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Which iPhone are you attempting to downgrade? The only one that is possible on is the iPhone 4.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

As T5BRICK said, downgrading is only possible with the iPhone 4. And that is only possible if you saved valid SHSH blobs.

If you don't know what I am talking about, you have never jailbroken and it's highly unlikely that you have saved blobs.

In short, if you have a 4s or better on iOS 7, you are stuck. Whatever issues you have going on with apps and storage space you will have to resolve on iOS 7.

4. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

You're right, I forgot to mention, I have an iphone 4 and I do have shsh

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Downgrading shouldn't be a problem then. iOS 5 ran great on the iPhone 4.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Slow down or not, usually you want a leave a couple of Gig there free. I believe somebody said a restore won't work (if you ever need to) unless you got the scratch space.

7. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

3gb should be fine, it is only laggy once u get under 1gb

8. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Doesn't matter, it's a myth.
    I have 383 MB free and the phone runs great.
    It's flash memory, not a HDD.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It doesn't doesn't have anything to do with the fact that the iPhone uses flash memory and not a HDD. It is more likely that iOS doesn't rely on a huge swap file like OSX does.

10. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Wait, what? But if you're restoring you'll be having everything erased anyway, so your remaining storage shouldn't be a factor.

11. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

Flash memory and RAM have nothing to do with each other. The speed of your phone is determined by your RAM and processor, not how much storage you have.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No, just now. In these iPhones, the speed of the NAND flash it what determines several things.

RAM is very quick on the latest iPhones and so is the CPU. However, load times vary due to NAND read speeds are capped mostly at 25 MB/s to 35 MB/s. Why so slow? There is no parallelism in the iPhone to speak off in order to boost speeds.

Why do you think it takes the iPhone time to download via USB cable a big app? The write cycles are not fast enough to keep up with the USB speed. Simple.

And yes, there are exceptions to what I said above.

13. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

That doesn't really change what I just said. I understand NAND read speeds are a factor, but the amount of apps you have stored on your iPhone doesn't change those read speeds.

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It does when you have a full NAND chip. Remember, even the iPhone will suffer the inevitable NAND flash slowdown. The more you have, later delete, and add more will definitely slow it down due to left over garbage data. I don't think iPhone OS has TRIM enabled just yet.

15. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

Ahh, makes sense.