Why does the Apple light on the back of my 17" Macbook Pro keep flashing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BerettaBabe, Jan 29, 2008.

1. BerettaBabe macrumors newbie

For some reason, the apple light keeps flashing randomly and I have no idea why. It seems to do it only when it is connected the power supply. Any thoughts on why this could be happening?

2. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

It is powered by the same light that illuminates your screen so in order for it to flash the whole screen has to flash, you're saying this happens when the lid is closed, right? It may be some settings in Energy Saver or scheduled wakes/sleeps/boots/shutdowns, if you have scheduled settings that makes her startup/wake while she's in sleep mode it might just endlessly wake up and sleep. Could you be a bit more specific? Check SystemPreferences>EnergySaver and click the options tab and in the bottom of the window there should be a 'Schedule...' button, check if it has a schedule.

-Victor

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Not sure - but if it's flashing, your screen would also be flashing. The Apple logo is basically a translucent window to the LCD backlight panel.

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

You might have one of those so called sleep problems, like my dad's MB has. Are you putting it to sleep? Does the optical drive make a noise?

5. BerettaBabe thread starter macrumors newbie

There isn't a schedule for it to wake up during sleep, and it does it both when I put it in sleep mode and when I just shut it. It drained 3/4 of my battery in about 2 hours when it was closed so it must not be going into sleep mode.

6. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

As time goes by by, the flashes will be of shorter duration, and closer together. When they get to the point of looking like a strobe light, well, you want to be at least 500 meters away from it at this point!

I kid, I kid.

That 's not natural. Take it in for an exam.

7. BerettaBabe thread starter macrumors newbie

I googled Macbook pro sleep problems and the Apple said to restart the System Management Controller, which I did, and now the problem seems to have gone away. Thanks everyone for your help.

8. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I noticed the Apple on the lid of my teachers MacBook doing this in class the other day, which struck me as odd because he was showing PowerPoint slides and they never blinked.