Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nquinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
I'm curious why in most benchmarks and notes the standard iPhone 14 has an extra hour of battery life than the iPhone 13? (roughly 10% more life).

- The SoC didn't really change - still the A15
- All of the wi-fi/bt/cellular components are only slightly different - same wi-fi 6 and 5g, but bumped BT from 5.0 to 5.3
- Screen is the same as far as I can tell?
- The battery only slightly changed capacity by 1.6% (3227 -> 3279)

What else became more efficient? Screen?

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
In theory it’s probably a combination of slightly larger battery and somewhat more efficient cellular modem. In practice real world testing generally shows that the battery life of the iPhone 13 and iPhone 14 is about the same.

Reactions: yitwail

nquinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
In theory it’s probably a combination of slightly larger battery and somewhat more efficient cellular modem. In practice real world testing generally shows that the battery life of the iPhone 13 and iPhone 14 is about the same.
The interesting thing is it shows it being really close on video/audio/etc, but web browsing it gets a big leap up.

Maybe it is the modem. Saw a few articles commenting that the newer X65 modem was a little more power efficient. That combined w/ the battery could make sense.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The data shows -25% lower power during idle and load conditions. Teardowns show the logic board was completely redone with a more compact layout. We know Apple bought Dialog IP and engineers in 2018 and Dialog said they would supply Apple only for the next 3 years. Well that time is up. I’d say it’s due to use of Apple in-house PMICs.

Reactions: yitwail
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.