Why does the iPhone (And Apple) Get SO Much Hate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sean4123, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

For a product and a company that put out such great products, apple and the iPhone sure do have a lot of haters out there. A facebook friend of mine, excited about her new iPhone, told some people about how she was loving it. Literally ten minutes later, two SOB's had to put their two cents in about her "epic fail" and how she "should have gotten a Android."

I understand there is some great competition out there, but how can so many people online chalk the iPhone up as a POS? It is ridiculous.

And Apple in general gets the same treatment. What is the deal?

2. dirkph macrumors member

Ten years ago, the "cool" thing was to like Apple.

Nowadays, it seems like it's just the opposite now that they're much more popular.

Price is usually the number one complaint. Price for what you get, I should say.

3. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

three words..... Jealousy is Envy! :)

those who can't get it, are the haters. simple as that.

4. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

people who can't have the best, hate it. you get what you paid for with apple and I'm more than happy paying what apple prices for their product lines.

apple>all

5. dmorris01 macrumors member

Most of the "hate" I've seen these days is from iPhone users themselves. The design of iPhone 4 appears flawed in more ways than one. I own one and am keeping it but honestly I feel a bit cheated. I'm not positive this feeling is pervasive among all users, but it is definitely generating negative press for Apple.

It's no fun to feel like you're being ignored or taken for granted.... Which is how I feel every time another day goes by with no proximity sensor fix.

6. 101AirAssault macrumors member

To the guy above me why do you feel cheated or taken for granted? Don't like the phone, isn't doing what you want it to do/performing the way you want get rid of it. The fact that you're keeping it basically negates your right to complain.....you have the power to fix all the issues you have with the phone but you choose not to, that's your problem not apples.

Hating others products isn't exclusive to non apple folks, just look at this very forum when droid is brought up to prove my point. No phone is better than any other, it's all up to the user experience not the device.

I don't buy macs because, for my computing needs they are a waste of money. I can build a pc based computer with better components for about half the cost. For me to do anything else is just pissing my money away.
    As the Internet shows (this very forum especially) there are losers everywhere and nothing brings them out faster than saying your said product is better than their said product.

7. redbotsoftware macrumors regular

I think the hate comes from the fact that apple has so much control over their products. This allows them to make a much better product, but all these people want it cheap, or can't get it, so they hate.
    Example, you could buy a cheap PC, deal with viruses and anti-virus software, (which is worse!) or pay more for something that works really well. If you can't afford the Mac, and you bought a cheap PC, then you have to justify the purchase by hating apple.
    With the iPhone you have added hate from people stuck on Verizon contracts.

8. chellymints macrumors newbie

I had the same thing happen to me actually. I posted on Facebook on how much I love the iPhone 4, and how much an upgrade it was compared to my iPhone 3G, and I got a lot of negative comments. I even ran into a friend of mine at Best Buy (which he works in the TV department there) and he said to me as he is walking by,"Ewww.. you..and your iPhone fail.." - This dude has never owned any iPod/iPhone products. I told him,"I like it and that is all that matters! and if you have never owned one, what gives you say?" and he looked at me all cross-eyed and said,"Pshh learn to get an Android" - It is really getting old now... and if I wanted an Android, I would have got one, and I DONT want one!

I think the above post is right, - They are just jealous, so they have to put apple iphone owners or apple altogether down just because they can ;)

I have a macbook and a gaming PC. They both have their differences and whatnot. I use my Macbook for school/photoshop and my PC gaming laptop for Games. They both have their advantages and disadvantages and IMO they both are great at doing different things. Same as the Android phones. Apple and Android have their differences but overall they are BOTH great phones.

:apple:

9. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

bro, you have no idea what people on here have. it's all hear-say. furthermore, saving money on building a computer doesn't make it better in any sense. I like my macbook pro...i also have an HP laptop and the specs on the HP are greater than the MBP but my MBP destroys it in daily operations.

I'm not trying to open a can of worms, i'm just saying that user experience is different for everyone.

10. 101AirAssault macrumors member

Yeah, that's why I said for "my computing needs", so please read what I write before blindly commenting. I do appreciate you proving my point though.

The "they can't afford it so they hate on it" argument is very childish and stupid.

11. Sean4123 thread starter macrumors 6502

You see, that is ridiculous to me. I would have made him look stupid by asking him a ton of questions about why he thinks the iPhone "fails." Obviously he would have brought up the reception issue, but other than that, i'm sure it would of all been ignorant babbling.

I have a problem getting into arguments with stupid people, making them look dumb, then getting pissed off. No bueno.

12. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

No. The hate comes from the attitude and arrogance of the Apple fanatics always claiming that Apple's stuff is better whether its phones, computers, or mp3 players.

More often than not, these fanatics were joe-blow idiots that had never heard of smart-phones, mp3's, or computer processors before they saw an Apple commercial or ad or something.

This was already true with Macs (even though they had 0% market share), and its especially true with iPhone users. They don't know jack squat about phones one week, then they buy an iPhone and all of a sudden they are seasoned experts explaining why all other phones suck compared to theirs.

I appreciate a good argument about the merits of one platform vs another, but there's no sense in trying to have a discussion with a zealot who only knows what they have read in a press release, and doesn't even understand that.

The people claiming that the iPhone 4 detuning issue is the same as signal attenuation (just because S.Jobs said so) is a prime example. It is absolute proof that Apple can design a fundamentally flawed piece of merchandise and that the zealots will ignore logic & reality to avoid having to admit that they are soft-headed, kool-aid gulping idiots under the complete influence of Apple's advertising agency.

That, in a nutshell, is where the hate comes from.

13. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

"your computing needs" i'm sure are checking mail, surfing the net, downloading pics, updating facebook...the average stuff. I will go on a limb and say, "my MBP is far superior to your computer(in terms of speed) at all the above." Plus, i don't have to worry about all the windows base viruses and trojens and worms and other malicious ware associated with windows platforms.

ok...i'm off my soap box.

to Tarzanman: i think youre stuck in a funk...an Apple Hate funk. You should try being open minded... just my thoughts. youre the prime example of people hating apple just to hate them.

14. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Your macbook pro uses the same hardware that a windows PC uses. You saying that its 'superior' is another example of what I alluded to in my post above.

You do have to worry about trojans, viruses and their ilk. The main difference is that apple doesn't disclose security issues with their OS. You may "feel" safer, but you aren't. Macs are routinely among the fastest machines to get broken into at DefCon hack/crack competitions. Go ahead and do the research.

15. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I'm begging you people to come up with something original to replace the cliched, overused, and worn out "haters".

16. granny shifter macrumors member

Why does the iPhone (And Apple) Get SO Much Hate?

Everyone hates a winner.

/Thread

17. 101AirAssault macrumors member

Now you're the second person that proved my point! Thanks for the help. Maybe you should heed your own advice given to tarzanman.
    Tarzanman, though I thought your post was a bit over the top, he "proved" your point as well!

18. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

19. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

if you read my post is says "windows base trojans, viruses...etc"

20. Sean4123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I can absolutely understand that you have come across a TON of Apple idiots, but not all apple fans are uneducated. I used to sell cell phones for T-Mob and Verizon and have done my homework. I still PREFER a iPhone. Does that make me part of some idiotic cult? Am I under a spell and can't see clearly? NO. The iPhone is a great product.

What I am trying to get at is why the phone receives so much hate. If you check really ANY credible professional review of the phone, you'll see that it has gotten high marks ACROSS THE BOARD. Sure there are a lot of idiot iPhone users, and they annoy me too, but the device is awesome and is the most sought after phone on the market for a reason.

If it was as bad as people are saying (droid and pc fans) it wouldn't be selling like it is. Plain and simple. And don't get me wrong, I understand that sales don't always mean greatness, but with a cell phone that has consistently sold more and more every year, that is saying something.

21. iceman718 macrumors newbie

I don't think the price is so much an issues, as is price for what you get from Apple. It's easy to spend just as much on a Windows based computer (a Mac IS a PC... PC=personal computer.. that's what it is) as it is on a Mac, but the hardware you get for that price from any other company is vastly superior. For the price of a high end MBP ($2200) I can build a Sager with a faster processor, better hard drive, double the RAM, higher resolution display, and vastly superior video card.

For the iPhone more specifically, I think a lot of the hate has been brought on by all the recent problems and the growing availability of great, viable competition.

I also don't like how now and in the past, people are quick to blame dropped calls on AT&T rather than admit fault with their JesusPhone. My little Samsung flip phone may not be able to browse the web, dowload apps, or get emails, but I can completely sandwich it in my hands and lay on top of it, and it won't lose a bar, even on the very fringe of AT&T coverage where only a bar or 2 of EDGE exists. That and I can repeatedly throw it at walls, concrete, people, etc with virtually no worry whatsoever of it breaking.

And I feel like most of the arguments about sales of the iPhone 4 justifying its greatness are useless at this point. The argument is always "if it sucks, why can't they stay in stock?" and I think that the answer to this at the time being is that all of the initial orders (talking pre-orders through first week or so of being on sale) have not been fulfilled yet. Once ALL of the people who have ordered one have gotten them and it CONTINUES to sell like hotcakes, then it will be a viable argument.

And of course, as has been mentioned, Apple seems to have more than its fair share of fans that are just complete idiots.

22. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

The OP was asking where all the hate comes from, and that was the explanation I was giving to him/her.

I know people who have iPhones that understand enough about technology to make educated decisions about their preferences... but those people don't engender the hate that the zealots do.

23. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Ten years ago, I was constantly made fun of for being a Mac user.

24. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

It's the I can't afford it and I can get something similar cheaper attitude.

25. intervenient macrumors 6502a

It don't think Apple gets any more hate than the average electronics company. I think the fan base gets more offended than any other and feel the needs to justify why it's better to anyone.