Why does the sun show the flaws?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ozzyman500, Aug 9, 2010.

1. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

I love my iPhone but hate using it in the sun. It always shows dust that's not really there, and the stuff between the steel and glass. It drives me nuts! I love it but hate using it in the sun, what about you?

2. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

How come I can see stuff bigger under a microscope?

Obvious Question Is Obvious.

3. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I would suggest becoming a vampire.

No more going into the sun=no pesky sun problems.

4. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

5. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Avoid using your iP4 in the sun. Problem solved!

6. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

How can it show dust that is not really there?
    Either it is or it isn't.

My god we have become such a society of whiners. It really is pathetic.

7. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

A picture sample is helpful but odds are what you're seeing is a combination of different things. The sensor surface is highly reflective and in high contrast backlighting situations can show up as areas of reduced contrast, ghost images, flare, etc. It's a common problem for point and shoots (and even some DSLRs) -- especially any that aren't using specially coated lenses.

Other things inside the mechanism can also show up in the picture accordingly. Without seeing a picture I can't be more precise. But I can say that little specks of dust have no impact on a picture unless they are on the sensor itself. Then it will show up as small dark blobs.

8. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Your holding it wrong. ;)

No seriously, hold it at another angle or something and stop worrying about it.

9. urbanj macrumors regular

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

11. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

This is why bars are open at night

12. Hyata macrumors member

Why do you guys have to attack everbody who doesn't praise Apple's products even when they have a legitimate complaint. The only thing worse than a whiner is a hater. The OP asked an honest question, he doesn't deserve the treatment he's getting.

13. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Welcome to Mac Rumors. ;)

14. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

:D:D:D

15. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I dont think the OP was complaining. he made an observation about how the sunlight really shows the imperfections of the phone. I know exactly what he means. if i look at my phone under "normal" lighting conditions it looks great. No dust or anything. If i look at it again in direct sunlight, all these dust particles that do not show up normally are staring you in the face.

OP, I know what you mean. Others, Chill out!!!!!!!!

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Because this isn't a complaint about Apple, this is a complaint about the sun and how light works. The EXACT same thing happens when I watch TV on my plasma with bright sun shining on it; you can see all the dust and streaks. Again, the OP is having a problem with science, and he's not asking a real question.

17. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

i think you need to reread the original post. this isn't an apple rant, this is a sun rant. thanks for your thoughts on haters and whiners though.

18. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

I'm sympathetic to the OP but at the same time this is just something that's going to happen. I don't like seeing dust and streaks on my phone as much as the next person but I've accepted the fact that unless I put my phone in a sealed plastic bag or something, **** is going to happen to it. As was stated before me, it's simple science that you can't get around other than to just not go out during the day. Short of doing that because it's really impractical, there isn't anything anybody here will say that's going to help

19. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I should clarify. by dust, I am referring to dust between the LCD and the glass. Dust that I can do nothing about. That is the type of dust that shows up and bothers me.

20. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Why is it easier to see things in the light than in the dark?!!?:(

21. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

My house is dusty during the day when I open the curtains!:(

Why is that?! I see no dust when the light is dim!!!:eek:

22. css1323 macrumors regular

Don't want to hijack the thread.. but I was wondering what the mesh-looking lines are when you put the iPhone 4 under the sun? It's like a bunch of little squares as silly as that sounds. :confused:

It's obvious it's probably to do with the IPS display, but is there a name for it?

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, clearly it's Apple's fault that the sun is bright.

24. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I believe it has something to do with the wavelength of all the different colors of the light being emitted from the sun. With the smallest wavelength hitting the angle of the slightest "scratch" on the surface of the phone, the different possibilities of light being angled/reflected/scattered from the surface can be countless.

Any physicists out there to back or add to this theory?

-C

25. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

LOL!

Yes. I laughed aloud. Hahahahahahaha!

*whew*