Why does VZW charge $50 more?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fotomatt1, Feb 3, 2011.

1. fotomatt1 macrumors regular

So I got my VZW preorder through at 2:43am. Then I figured I'd check Apple's price at 3am when they went live, and it was in fact $50 less! I quickly ordered one on Apple's site, and then cancelled my VZW preorder. Why is VZW charging $50 more for the same product that you can get just as easily from the manufacturer? I'm sure I'm not the only one who did this. How many of you cancelled and switched your order to the Apple store to save $50?

2. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Did Apple charge you taxes? I've had some orders not charge taxes on AT&T while they did with Apple and vice versa. It's actually a $65 savings for me here in Cali.

3. fotomatt1 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes...both Apple and VZW charge tax in New York. I didn't mention that I paid full retail, as I'm not eligible for an upgrade price. Verizon charges $749 for a 32gb iPhone, whereas Apple charges $699.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Again, shipping? Or perhaps Verizon thinks they are clever and they can charge more.

5. fotomatt1 thread starter macrumors regular

Both Apple and Verizon offer free shipping. My curiosity is about the actual $50 in price. It makes no sense that anybody would pay the extra $.

6. edk99 macrumors 6502a

It has already been known that Verizon is charging $50 more then ATT and I guess Apple too. Why you ask? Because they can. Plain and simple.

7. ssbearsfan macrumors member

To make up for the $50 lower price they are offering new every two customers?

8. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Oh, you didn't mention you paid the full price. Verizon decided to charge more for the unsubsidized version. Probably to convince people to get into a contract and many wouldn't think of going to Apple. Kinda pathetic to be honest, but we all know cell phone providers. Both models are $50 more compared to Apple/AT&T.

9. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Color me crazy, but I would think a call to verizon would sort this out easy enough.

iPhone on Verizon, not Verizon iPhone. :cool:

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Because VZW wants to get you used to paying more. :D

11. fotomatt1 thread starter macrumors regular

Again, I don't really care, as I saved my $50 by ordering from Apple, but I know there were plenty of people who bought from VZW at full retail, and I guess was more curious about their thought process and why they would pay $50 more for the "privilege" of buying from VZW vs. buying from the Apple store?

12. alectheking macrumors 6502a

Can I ask how you ordered full retail from Apple?? I have been trying non stop since last night and I even called and they said full retail isn't available until feb 9th for in store pick up..its kinda pissing me off I can't get it through even though it says I should.

13. fotomatt1 thread starter macrumors regular

I actually got my order through twice...once on VZW and again on Apple. It asks for all of your info, then tells you you're not eligible for an upgrade, but you can purchase at full retail. That's it. It may not do it for in-store pick up, but why would you want to go and deal with all of those crazy crowds? Let them ship it to you and you'll have it before any of the people standing on line anyway.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No one knows for sure. But I agree with you, I would like to know why Verizon is charging extra as well.

15. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Wow, something's actually cheaper at the Apple Store?!:D

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It's weird and I don't know if they've said anything about it, but unsubsidized phones are in fact $50 more on Verizon that AT&T or Apple. This is pre tax/shipping/fees, what not, listed price. I honestly can't believe they're doing it, it makes them and Apple look bad, even though it's likely not Apple's choice.

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Want to show me where you can get an iPhone cheaper than at an Apple store?

18. fotomatt1 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah...and I kind of had an inkling that this would happen, because Apple has said that the full retail of the phone would be $699 from the day it was announced, and VZW's FAQ's had always shown $749. I figured the discrepancy would go away on launch day, and either apple would charge more or VZW would charge less to bring their prices into agreement, but they didn't, and I'm sure VZW had more cancellations than just mine.

19. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

Radio Shack!

I got iPhone 4 there for $149.00 plus tax while AT&T and Apple were selling it for $199.00 plus tax. No, it was not refurbished but they had a $50.00 off all iPhones sale a couple of times late last year!

20. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

many verizon customers are uneducated when it comes to the iPhone, and think buying from verizon is better, so they don't even think to try apple. Its an easy way to make a quick $50

21. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Uh, cause they can?

Obviously they feel they can get people to pay more. Any business will be quite happy to grab a higher price for an item if they think they can get away with it. The only thing that stops them is they have to figure out what the market will actually pay for.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Must be that superior customer service Verizon fans always talk about. :)