why doesnt amazon sell ipad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JBG87, May 1, 2011.

1. JBG87 macrumors member

they have first gen ipads and everything else apple...:confused: :(

2. sineplex macrumors 6502

obviously because it competes with Kindle and rumor also has it that they are working on a iPad similar device to compete. Why would you sell your compeditors hardware ? They also tried not to stock to much of the Sony e-readers and played around with the amount of reviews allowed.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

cuz they are pissed about apple having ebook sales onthe ipad via ibooks.

4. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Well why would Amazon make a kindle app for the iPad if they were competing with each other? They surely like getting sales off the iPad as well as losing customers to Apple's iBooks store.

5. JBG87 thread starter macrumors member

and if they are competing why are they selling the original ipad...

6. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Because Amazon are weird.

No, seriously. I don't know, care to ask Amazon?

7. maxtorboring macrumors newbie

Amazon will have them sooner when supply catches up with demand.

It was the same way with the first iPad.

Amazon is picky company, they are only going to sell something if there is a steady supply and they can meet the demand of their customers.

Give it another month or two.

8. princealyy macrumors regular

Actually amazon does not sell ANY iPad directly on their site (always sold by resellers)

From what I understand apple does not want ANYONE to sell their product online other than themselves, if you go to macmall or anything you will notice you have to call it in.

So basically that is why you wont see it on their site as directly sold by amazon, it doesn't have to do with competition ...

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

They sell a lot of Apple products, just not the iPad.

10. maxtorboring macrumors newbie

That's wrong, Amazon sells them directly. They do not sell the iPad one anymore because they do not make them anymore. The supply is gone, thus they don't sell them. I got my wife's iPad from amazon with tax free and prime shipping.

Amazon Apple products directly from Macbook Pros to the Magic Mouse.

11. JBG87 thread starter macrumors member

12. ethics101 macrumors regular

Amazon never directly sold the iPads. There were third party sellers that did at a premium price. Its also not all up to Amazon whether or not they can sell iPads. This company called Apple has the final say.

13. Legion93, May 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2011

Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

umm, false. Amazon sells certain products directly from their warehouse as well. They just need a fair amount of supply before putting it for sale in their webpage. It says this under price: "dispatched from and sold my Amazon.co.uk"

Where the hell are you getting your info from? Because it's all wrong. Amazon and Apple are completely different companies. One is a distributor and the other the supplier.

Amazon has their own warehouse and stock, so if you buy any product, whether it be Apple or not it will get processed by Amazon's order team, not Apple. Apple just supplies the products to them, and they don't have the final say over anything.

Take Best Buy for example, you think Apple has the final say regarding iPad sales? No.

Some products are from third party sellers and some are from Amazon's own stock. And yes, it is up to Amazom whether they want to sell any iPads or not. Amazon is not forced to sell iPads, remember they get paid an insertion and advertising fee by Apple to sell any of their products.

14. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Give it a week or so and they will appear. It happened over here with the original iPad

15. poloponies macrumors 68030

What makes anyone think this is Amazon's decision? If Apple wanted to sell iPads through Amazon they would (and likely will at some point).

16. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I love how everyone assumes it's Amazon's decision.

They don't sell it for the same reason you want to buy it from them.

Fast, free shipping and no sales tax.

They will sell it, when Apple says its ok.

17. princealyy macrumors regular

No amazon has never sold iPads direct they do sell the MacBook iPods etc ... Show me one site where an online retailer is selling the iPad directly on their website (someone who is authorized )

18. megsandbytes macrumors member

That's a good point you raise. In my opinion, despite the competition factor it's still an extra revenue stream for Amazon. It makes sense from a business perspective, and at least still keeps them in the loop.

19. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

"Fulfilled by Amazon" does not mean the product was sold from Amazon.com itself. Many products that are "Fulfilled by Amazon" are eligible for Prime shipping because they are housed and stored at Amazon's warehouses. Amazon offers that service to their merchants for a fee.

Amazon.com itself is not an authorized iPad reseller. They do not sell iPads directly.

http://solutionprofessionals.apple.com/catalog/

20. gquiring macrumors regular

gquiring

It seems a few are still confused out here with what Amazon sells DIRECTLY. Amazon uses partners/portals to sell products on their web site that Amazon does not physically stock in their warehouses. Amazon does not directly sell an iPad 1 or iPad 2. The links posted in this thread are from 3rd party resellers on Amazon's site, Amazon does not stock it. You can see from below I highlighted in yellow who is actually selling the iPad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. princealyy macrumors regular

Thank you for clearing that up... like stated before no one can sell and iPad directly online, it has to be sold via phone, or bought from three sources online:

Apple, AT&T, & Verizon....

Amazon DOES sell other Apple products (I think i made a typo earlier)

Best way to buy it if you are trying to avoid paying the sales tax (which legally you do owe no matter where YOU buy it from).... is to go to macmall and call them up ,,,

22. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

They're not an authorized reseller.

Maybe their paperwork got lost in the mail shuffle.

23. philipk macrumors 6502

Amazon is using the Razor-Razor blade marketing strategy. Gillette sells the razors at cost or below cost and make money selling the razor blades.

Amazon sells the Kindle device at cost and make money selling the eBooks. Thus they also give away Kindle apps for computers, iPads, Androids, etc. so they can sell more eBooks. Yes, they prefer you to buy the Kindle to lock you into using only their service. However, they are willing to sell you books to use on other devices.

Apple makes money selling both the iPad and the iBooks. They aren't interested in providing apps to sell their books for other devices.

Think of it this way. Kindle is the universal donor that can only use their product but sell it for many other devices.

iPad is the universal recipient. Their product can be used only with their devices but they can use almost anyone's eBooks with the right app.

24. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Personally I still think the Kindle is overpriced.
    I'd get rid of the stupid keyboard, what normal book readers want a full keyboard underneath their book at all times? And half it's price. they we may be getting somewhere.
    An eBook reader should be all screen with just a tiny bezel and simple keys for moving through the book and that's it.
    If you want something more complex then buy something more complex, but I really think for many the Kindle is STILL overpriced.

25. poloponies macrumors 68030

The Kindle's a fine piece of technology at its price point. And the keyboard is good for email. Not great, but good. Given that the $189 model has 3G access from anywhere free for the life of the unit (and you can get news and other updates for free) it's not a bad price.