Why doesnt Apple allow replacable batteries?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mattg3, Aug 23, 2011.

1. mattg3 macrumors 6502

About to buy my first ipod touch(5G if it shows up by Nov. or 4G).Ive stayed away from Apple portable products because of battery that you cant just take out and replace when its time is up.Ive been using Creative and IAudio products instead but they cant compare with Apple features.Just a small rant here that it would be so user friendly to be able to buy a few replacement batteries for the future and be done with it.

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

When the battery dies you'll have to give Apple your money for a repair, or you'll decide that it's not worth it and buy a new device.

Bottom line: Money.

3. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Apple is greedy, very very greedy.

But they make great products. Very very great! Thats why people still buy it.

Its money they want from your pocket :D

4. Skika macrumors 68030

Design?

Having user replaceable batteries means more parts and opening mechanisms and such. I don't think Apple likes many parts and opening mechanisms.

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

The battery of an iPod touch should last a couple years, if not more. If the battery gets hosed sooner, you could bring it back to Apple and plead your case.

If you've had a decent run with the battery, it's not too hard to replace it yourself or have Apple do it for you. I'm kinda handy, so I'd replace it myself ... probably put in a higher capacity battery while I'm there.

NOTE - I've swapped the battery out of my wife's iPod mini once. I'm sure the iPod touch would be a little harder, but I wouldn't sweat it. YMMV.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Apple design allows more room for high capacity battery. Apple also have better battery technology that lasts longer.

That's why Apple devices are leading the market.

I know people with original iPhone who are still using it without replacing the battery.

7. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

It's apple's way of saying "we know you wont want to buy the new model, so we'll make you"

8. BassPlayer macrumors member

BassPlayer

Any phone you buy that has a removable battery has it stored in a little compartment. That compartment seperating the battery from the rest of the internals adds size. The other option is to not add a compartment, but allow the back to be removed and battery changed. This would result in a slimmer product, but millions of repairs because someone broke the innerds.

It's either we end up with a thicker device and more broken iThings, or let the pros handle it.

9. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

I've had my Ipod Classic for several years and I still get about 20 hours from a charge. I just don't worry about it.

10. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

when a battery is integrated you know its a good quality when you can remove it then it means that you are gonna buy many batteries

11. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Exactly. Down with the naysayers that Apple is just greedy. :D

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Of course you're right.

Apple greedy???

I thought they were a charitable non-profit. ;) :rolleyes:

13. andrewlgm, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

andrewlgm macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

You may notice a drop in sound quality if you have high end headphones when making the switch to iPods and iPhones. A zen vision M by creative is 6 years old but still sounds better than my iPhone 4 when paired to a high quality pair of headphones. But to answer your question - it's money. You have to go to apple for a new battery. And to a certain extent, for aesthetics. The iPod touch could not be as thin and as nice as it is, or the shuffle could not be as small, etc. Having said that, guides are all over the net on how to do it yourself. I replaced my iPhone 3G battery twice before it finally died - the batteries are insanely cheap - $5 - and the procedure takes 10 minutes. It's pure greed that they charge $100 for the same service.

14. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

It's got a lot to do with consumer perception--and a good bit to do with money as well. Apple is a business, they exist to make money and that's not a bad thing.

I still think it has more to do with perception. If these batteries were easily user-replaceable you would see all sorts of third party companies releasing "compatible" batteries for super, super cheap. Apple knows that many consumers would grab these cheap imitation batteries up--and they also know that the vast majority of them will be utter crap.

The average person, after using one of these crap batteries will have a negative experience and is just as likely to assume that Apple has made a poor quality product as they are to assume their $2 battery is a POS. This would be likely to hurt Apple's reputation for quality in consumer electronics and would in turn result in lower sales.

For those of us who are capable of replacing the battery (Google tells us many things) can do so relatively easily and inexpensively. Apple doesn't do anything to stop that sort of thing, but their design ensures that only tech savvy consumers are going to mess around with it.

15. mattg3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Now Im a bit worried about this possible drop in sound quality.My iaudio, very old mp3 player has a great sound quality and lots of sound shaping options.

16. andrewlgm macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

Don't be. Sound quality is a very subjective experience. You may or may not notice something, most people don't. My first apple purchase was an iPod touch 2nd gen to replace a cowon D2 which, quite simply put, has phenomenal sound quality. I gave up the sound quality over the functionality of the iPod touch and did not look back. If the sound quality bothers you, then you may return the product within 14 days, or buy an iPod touch sound amplifier for $20 from amazon. It uses the synch port which reproduces audio faithfully.

17. mattg3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sound amp for 20 bucks!Thanks,great idea.What is the actual product name?

18. andrewlgm macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

here you go: FiiO E1 Portable Headphone Amplifier
    good luck!

19. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Would you want to add 2mm in thickness to your iPhone or iPod touch to make the room for that battery door?? I sure as hell don't!

20. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Apple makes custom batteries to give the largest battery life possible. The other part is design. Apple's signature is it's product design. You can't get thinner and lighter AND have great battery life without some mechanical sacrifice. By removing doors and hinges they get more room which means a bigger battery. Lots of places besides Apple can sell you a battery or change the one you have but I've never had an issue with my old iPods battery life. I especially love the Shuffle.

21. mattg3 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks

22. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This. Ignore the posts you see about Apple wanting more money. If those posters would read about Apple battery technology they'd realize why its not user replaceable. (Its difficult to do but you can find people who do managed to replace their batteries).

23. jmpnop, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Its actually both. Blindly saying Apple is doing it for quality alone isn't right either, thats just defending Apple.

Look at cars, battery is very important there. There is a need to very have good quality batteries but still owners can change it. Car companies forcing owners to buy from them definitely involves money. Forcing simply isn't right.

The same can be said about proprietary ports like the one Apple uses. Each accessory is overpriced and users have no choice than to buy it from them. It has its advantages but MONEY is involved.

24. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

When was the last time you went out and bought a replacement battery pack for your non-Apple cell phone or mp3 player?

Seriously, when?

You think you'll miss the ability, but in reality you never do. By the time your unit is old enough that the battery needs replacing, you'll be faced with a decision: spend $x on a replacement battery pack to keep it going, or spend a bit more for a brand new model with all the new features. In my experience the electronics industry is moving so fast now that it's almost always better just to buy a whole new unit.

25. beeh macrumors regular

I've got an ipod Nano ( 1st gen. ) that gets 8+ hours on a charge and a 1st gen. iPod Touch that I haven't timed a charge, but it lasts as long as it ever has...

I think the device is gonna be so much better than what you're used to so by the time you want to replace the battery, you won't mind doing it.