Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jezal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
I am just curious why they are allowed to sell a technical product without outlining the most basic technological specifications like RAM or CPU speed?
I would definitely buy the new Iphone with 2GB of RAM, but with 1GB I will probably pass. I think it is ridicoulous that we have to wait for some third party website to take the device apart and tell us what exactly they built in. :rolleyes:

HolyGrail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Planet Earth
I am just curious why they are allowed to sell a technical product without outlining the most basic technological specifications like RAM or CPU speed?
I would definitely buy the new Iphone with 2GB of RAM, but with 1GB I will probably pass. I think it is ridicoulous that we have to wait for some third party website to take the device apart and tell us what exactly they built in. :rolleyes:

I really don't think it matters since the iphone still today has the most fluidness software of any other phone to this day. IOS is like 6 cylinder engine with tires filled with air. Android is like a 8 cylinder engine but with flat tires. All that engine power don't mean much, if you're software isn't optimize for it.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
What would you do with that info?

The reason others post it is they see it as a selling point
"Hey, buy our phone! It has 1GB more than the other guy" and people who have no idea what RAM actually means think "Duh, I must have the one with more ram because its a higher number...."

The great thing about the iPhone is... it just works. IT manages your open apps, does its thing with ram better than the rest.

Lets say they put 4GB of ram in it??? What does that mean to you?

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I really don't think it matters since the iphone still today has the most fluidness software of any other phone to this day. IOS is like 6 cylinder engine with tires filled with air. Android is like a 8 cylinder engine but with flat tires. All that engine power don't mean much, if you're software isn't optimize for it.

Great analogy.

Jezal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
What would you do with that info?

The reason others post it is they see it as a selling point
"Hey, buy our phone! It has 1GB more than the other guy" and people who have no idea what RAM actually means think "Duh, I must have the one with more ram because its a higher number...."

The great thing about the iPhone is... it just works. IT manages your open apps, does its thing with ram better than the rest.

Lets say they put 4GB of ram in it??? What does that mean to you?

It means that when I switch from Tapatalk to Safari and then back to Tapatalk, not the whole damn App has to reload and my specific thread position is lost everytime, everyday. That is what it does and that is why the iPhone has already not enough RAM.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island

Does it matter if the RAM is 1GB or 2GB? If all your apps are running smoothly for the next 2-3 years (the average duration of phone usage before upgrading), why does it matter? Not like the iPhone is sanctioned to be flashed with different firmware like Android phones are. I understand wanting more specs on Android because you can tinker with a lot of the software and in general the OS that comes with the phone is less fluid but you're probably not going to do that with the iPhone.

Jezal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Does it matter if the RAM is 1GB or 2GB? If all your apps are running smoothly for the next 2-3 years (the average duration of phone usage before upgrading), why does it matter? Not like the iPhone is sanctioned to be flashed with different firmware like Android phones are. I understand wanting more specs on Android because you can tinker with a lot of the software and in general the OS that comes with the phone is less fluid but you're probably not going to do that with the iPhone.

Except that it doesn't fluidly multitask as lined out in my reply above.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
The CPU frequency and RAM on the iPhone tell you nothing about its performance compared to non-Apple phones. Apple already has graphs on its web site to illustrate the performance differences among the various iPhones.

Sticking with 1GB RAM ensures that developers will continue to create apps that function well on all IOS devices. With Android, we've seen that phones with different / larger memory configurations have led to applicant "bloat" (i.e., poorly written apps) that only run well on the latest phones with the fastest processors and the most memory. Apple has largest avoided these problems on its IOS platform.

You didn't mention screen resolution, but retaining a modest screen resolution helps Apple to deliver superior 3D performance. The higher the resolution of the display, the lower the phone's graphics performance at a given level of 3D processing power. A device with a 4 million pixel screen with have roughly half the 3D performance of a device with a 2 million pixel screen given a comparable CPU/GPU. People have reported essentially no benefit to the iPhone 6 Plus's higher PPI screen, which shows that Apple has hit a good balance with the iPhone 5S and iPhone 6 screens.

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
Also depending on the throughput of the latest solid state memory in the iPhone, more ram may be less important.

I'm not saying I wouldn't mind more ram, but if the 6 can load the app from ssd quick enough, its less of an issue.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm thinking its not an important metric for them to release. The fact that they never have done it for an iPhone/iPad yet seems to indicate that they're not really going to either.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
WAY too may Apple apologists on this thread. The OP is absolutely correct in what they are saying. Also, 1GB (if that's indeed what is has) is plainly insufficient as demonstrated for two years on the i5 and 5S.

HolyGrail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Planet Earth
WAY too may Apple apologists on this thread. The OP is absolutely correct in what they are saying. Also, 1GB (if that's indeed what is has) is plainly insufficient as demonstrated for two years on the i5 and 5S.

Really? Can you give an example where you find the 5s lacking in speed compared to any other phone?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Really? Can you give an example where you find the 5s lacking in speed compare to any other phone?

Not speed, RAM. There are numerous posts describing the issues and you must have seen them.

----------

Heh, I suppose. I never ran into that problem because I always fully close every single app.

You shouldn't have to close every single app and every single browser tab. Whatever happened to usability and, er, multitasking?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Well then.....what real world example of ram do you see the 5s is lacking compared to every other phone out there?

Browser tab reloading and app reloading, or 'refreshing' if you choose to see it as a positive feature.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

I've never had a problem with RAM with any iPhone or my iPad. I guess it depends on what you are doing as everyone's mileage is going to vary isn't it?

My main and only serious gripe with the iPhone is battery life.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

Nobody is ever required to put specifications. The website could be just a picture of the iPhone with a buy now button and nothing else. There's no rule or law about it.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Nobody is ever required to put specifications. The website could be just a picture of the iPhone with a buy now button and nothing else. There's no rule or law about it.

Why do they quote battery life then?
Yet they erase the protruding camera from stock photos and don't mention the RAM. It's like they're embarrassed about these things....and millions of people pre-order these devices without knowing much about them. Hehe.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX

Interesting mindset. Which dictator would you like to decree that Apple must disclose information to you?

gregrose

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
The apple fanboys blind as usual. 1 gig of ram is pathetic, 3 years in a row for 1 gig of ram and you are ok with spending hundreds of dollars? My apps reload all the time because of 1 gig of ram. Very disappointed that apple cheaper out again on us, just like 16gig still being the base model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.