Why doesn't apple make a Blue-Ray "Apple MacBook SuperDrive"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by howya111, Feb 22, 2011.

1. howya111 macrumors newbie

Why doesn't Apple make a Blue-Ray "Apple MacBook SuperDrive" for those of us who want one even though they don't want to make one that is attached to the macbook for whatever reason (price?)?

2. LoganT macrumors 68020

Well what would be the point? You can't play back Blu Ray movies on Mac. You could however buy an external Blu Ray drive and use something like MakeMKV to rip it. But Apple isn't going to sell something advertising that.

3. mmulin macrumors 6502

Apple doesn't care about BR and the attached "bag of hurt".

4. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Apple doesn't want to pay Sony for every Blu Ray player they install.

5. LoganT macrumors 68020

Is that true? Do manufactures have to pay Sony?

6. dmx macrumors 6502a

7. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Yes, for every device. And Apple is not and will not pay Sony. Instead, they want to destroy Sony in every front - Mobile Phones, Computers, Digital Music, etc.

8. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I don't believe that Apple pays Sony directly, this should be handled by the drive OEM. Anyway, all sorts of things like CD players require royalties, maybe not so much but it's still there.

Steve Jobs says that DRM is a bag of hurt which is probably true but I don't think that is the entire reason either because itunes and ibooks use DRM to varying extents. I think its a combination of Apple trying to push people to iTunes and most people not using optical media anymore so its one extra way for Apple to cut costs.

9. Hwaet macrumors newbie

10. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

As long as Steve is around you will not see Blu-ray on the Mac. Sadly he may not be around much longer. I hate to say that. if you really want or need Blu-ray then do a search on Blu-ray and mac. There are ways to do it. I understand all the arguments against blu-ray but i think we should have the choice.

11. LoganT macrumors 68020

I think when Steve Jobs calls Blu-Ray a "bag of hurt" he means it's a bag of hurt for Apple.

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

No support for blu-ray in OSx, so no reason to put in a blu-ray drive.

13. alt macrumors regular

Apple doesn't buy into anything that isn't permanent...thats why. Simple as that.

Blu-ray might not last..just sayin'

It is still overpriced and not THAT many people use it.

Imagine them making bluray superdrives standard...then bluray goes out of business like HDDVD did or whatever it was called. That made MICROSOFT look dumb...xboxes

14. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

blue ray = 1080p

you can watch any dvd in 1080p on a mac, and it will play in 1080p.

15. Brettla macrumors regular

I really don't need blu-ray for what I use my mac for, but I could see a Blu-ray writer being useful to someone who does video editing as a profession

16. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

17. fs454 macrumors 68000

That's not how it works. The coding isn't there to support the heavy DRM protocols involved with Blu Ray playback.

Also, it will never, ever happen. Optical media is dying. The only place I see it happening as a BTO option is in the Mac Pros to produce content.

18. skidmarc macrumors member

It's due to the licensing fees that Apple will have to pay in order to make/sell the Blu-Ray players.

19. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I agree with choice, especially on this (licensing arguments are moot, everything requires licensing). I'm tired of carrying 2 computers everywhere because my Mac laptop can't handle the Blu-ray and gaming chores my lower cost Windows laptop does.

Very annoying, someday someone other than Steve will run things and greater choice may prevail. Until then 2 computers it is.

Cheers,

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

21. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

because you need DRM built into the OS in order to use Blu-ray. :cool:

22. IconicM macrumors regular

Newbie question: For the people that really want blue-ray, what exactly would you do with it besides watch movies on the lap top? Is there some other use?

A friend of mine recently bought an HD camera and was trying to find a computer that had a blue-ray recorder to store movies. First of all, he could not find any at two large brick and mortars. Second, he was intimidated by the cost of $10 per disc blank. $10 bucks per disc would kill that deal for me, i guess this is more money going back to Sony. Maybe this is part of the reason why blue-ray has not taken off?

23. dmn8 macrumors member

but just thinking of the marketing possibilities...

The Apple Super-Duper-Drive

24. wct097 macrumors 6502

Greed & Control.

Buy your stuff through iTunes, and Apple controls what you can get. Buy your stuff through iTunes and Apple gets their cut.

25. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

If Blu-ray came out 10 years ago it would've taken over the world.

So far DVD seems to have a good balance between quality and file size (when I rip them)...

Also it's not too expensive to burn one. and most presentation hall has DVD players.