Why doesn't Apple use a lottery for reservations?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Retired Cat, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

Instead of having people up at 12 Midnight or 3AM Eastern, a lottery would be a better system.

Say, 2 weeks before launch day, have 3-4 days where people can sign up to have name drawn for getting the new iPhone at launch. People indicate the config they want and option for alternate configs. Having this take place over a few days ensures that everyone has a fair chance to enter.

1 week before launch, names drawn. For each person chosen, if the option (or alternate indicated) is available, they get that device for delivery on launch day.

This would avoid late night headaches.

This would give a fair chance to people.

2. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

3. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

This is a horrible idea and would make people even angrier.

4. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Awful idea. Anybody could put their name down and this ending up with a bunch of people who can't even pay for it with a reservation.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Because as long as they sell out, Apple doesn't really care who gets one and who doesn't. Nor should they.

6. Retired Cat thread starter macrumors 65816

Maybe. But having the Apple store website crash every year and having many angry customers is not good for Apple or the customers!!!

7. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Trying to do that, in multiple countries, with multiple carriers (all of whom have their allotments already) would be a huge cluster... foul-up.

And of course it's only a late-night headache in North and South America.

8. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Agreed. As is, it's already pretty random. No reason to throw in another level of complexity.

9. Retired Cat thread starter macrumors 65816

Require credit/debit card pre-auth when signing up for lottery?

10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i get that a lottery system might be more fair, and it would make it so people don't have to wait out in the dark and cold. but i think my chances of scoring a 6 plus in particular are improved by waiting in line, putting up with the cold and the wait when many people aren't.

11. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

But then when people lose they will just bitch about it. At least right now we can just say "Should have been faster" :p

12. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Ha! Good luck with that. Expecting people to preauthorize ~$1,000 for a lottery?

13. scrap104 macrumors regular

scrap104

14. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

So you didn't get one for launch day, huh? Sorry about that.

15. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

We're buying a phone, not Jordan's or Yeezy's. People actually need these to make a living. If they want it bad enough they'll line up.

16. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

That would be a huge buzzkill.

The anticipation, anxiety, anger, frustration followed by the rush, the thrill and the joy of finally scrambling and managing to find a new iPhone is a large part of the almost ritualistic frenzy that Apple whips up for its customers every year. And most people like that.

17. skyhawkmatthew macrumors member

skyhawkmatthew

Or, move to Australia. I ordered my new iPhone when preorders opened at 5pm Friday arvo, beer in hand.

18. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

They did use a lottery. It was called Apple servers. You had to get lucky as hell to win a launch day phone.

19. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

No matter what the system, it will inevitably be unfair to someone and favor someone else. It's human nature to prefer the most personally advantageous method. The choice often comes down to merit vs. chance, and our preference varies with circumstance. If you believe that the reward should go to the most deserving, chances are that your definition of "deserving" matches your personal traits. If you prefer chance, you lack the (apparently) favored traits.

I did my homework, so I knew when pre-orders went on sale. I work late hours, so I managed to be awake at 3:01 am EDT, for all the good it did me. I had a noon business meeting, so by 4:01 am, despite my superior intelligence, natural advantage, and hard work, I went to bed empty handed. I gave it another try about six hours later, before I headed out to my meeting. I was in luck! The model I wanted was still available for 9/19 delivery (or 19/9, your pick). Had I wanted a different color and capacity, I'd have snoozed and lost. Shall I attribute the results to, "Winners never quit, and quitters never win," or "dumb luck?" All I know is, early did not get this bird the worm, and I doubt either nature or nurture played a role.

20. Retired Cat thread starter macrumors 65816

No, and I didn't even bother trying, because I want to try both the 6 and 6+ at the store first.

Weird. I like convenience. This pre-order process sound like torture from all the angsty stuff I see here and on Twitter.

Haha, that's great! I hope that beer was extra good too :)

21. Prise macrumors regular

LMAO...that's one way of putting it.

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

And THAT is where you went wrong. To think this forum or twitter is in any way indicative of reality.

It's like walking into the insane asylum and asking "anyone crazy in here?" "Gee, based on how many crazy people are in here, the whole world must be nuts!"

23. YoungCalusa macrumors member

This made me LOL, thank god I have verizon though, ordered silver 6 64gb for pick up at my local apple store on Friday, can't do that for AT&T or Sprint :p

24. cathyy macrumors 6502a

How is the current system any less 'fair' than a balloting based system?

First come first serves sounds pretty fair to me as it is.