Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
With this system you know where you stand.

Stay up until midnight - 3am or get ready for 8am UK. Accept a million or so other people are doing exactly the same thing right that second and probably up to 10 million throughout the next few hours.

If you manage to get a phone for release day, happy! Or accept you may have to wait another 1-3 weeks.

Simple.

A lottery is a venture with an uncertain outcome, why would you participate in this when its apple who are receiving your hard earned money. They should do more to provide a more stable service. They are getting batter year on year. Last years short supply was bad.

desertrat23

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
We're buying a phone, not Jordan's or Yeezy's. People actually need these to make a living. If they want it bad enough they'll line up.

You need the newest model to make a living? Pretty sure you could get a 5S pretty easy.

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
You need the newest model to make a living? Pretty sure you could get a 5S pretty easy.

I didn't say "I" use my phone to make a living but there people out there who do. But there are advantages that will make my workflow better, such as comparing lab results and vital signs (work in a hospital). So yes, if it improves my work, it helps me make a living.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Instead of having people up at 12 Midnight or 3AM Eastern, a lottery would be a better system.

Say, 2 weeks before launch day, have 3-4 days where people can sign up to have name drawn for getting the new iPhone at launch. People indicate the config they want and option for alternate configs. Having this take place over a few days ensures that everyone has a fair chance to enter.

1 week before launch, names drawn. For each person chosen, if the option (or alternate indicated) is available, they get that device for delivery on launch day.

This would avoid late night headaches.

This would give a fair chance to people.

I couldn't think of a worse idea, well maybe some sort of gladiatorial death match might be worse.

Let's hope no one at Apple ever decides something like that is a good idea...

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Why doesn't Apple use a lottery for reservations?

How is the current system any less 'fair' than a balloting based system?

First come first serves sounds pretty fair to me as it is.

Lottery system removes variables like distance to server or node hops. If I live close to the web host, I may have a few microsecond advantage and get a connection first. Current system is not exactly "first come first served" because the first person to attempt to order may not actually be the first person who accesses the server.

Also, credit card issues can be resolved ahead of time, instead of having payment rejected on suspicion of hacking right when you need it to work.

A lottery is a venture with an uncertain outcome, why would you participate in this when its apple who are receiving your hard earned money. They should do more to provide a more stable service. They are getting batter year on year. Last years short supply was bad.

The key difference is the outcome. If you didn't "win" at launch day iPhone, your credit/debit not charged and funds hold is removed. Or you can chose to stay in line and receive your iPhone as they become available after launch day.

Ideally Apple WOULD just buy more bandwidth and server resources for pre-order night, but they seem very unwilling to do this year after year.

I couldn't think of a worse idea, well maybe some sort of gladiatorial death match might be worse.

Let's hope no one at Apple ever decides something like that is a good idea...

No Hungry Games… I agree that would be a really bad idea! I would just hand over the phone to Jennifer Lawrence, LOL!

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Lottery system removes variables like distance to server or node hops. If I live close to the web host, I may have a few microsecond advantage and get a connection first. Current system is not exactly "first come first served" because the first person to attempt to order may not actually be the first person who accesses the server.

Also, credit card issues can be resolved ahead of time, instead of having payment rejected on suspicion of hacking right when you need it to work.

You do realize how insignificant a few microseconds are...right?

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Instead of having people up at 12 Midnight or 3AM Eastern, a lottery would be a better system.

Say, 2 weeks before launch day, have 3-4 days where people can sign up to have name drawn for getting the new iPhone at launch. People indicate the config they want and option for alternate configs. Having this take place over a few days ensures that everyone has a fair chance to enter.

1 week before launch, names drawn. For each person chosen, if the option (or alternate indicated) is available, they get that device for delivery on launch day.

No, first come, first serve.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

Fair chance? What's more fair than first come, first serve? And I can just imagine people complaining to high heavens that the lottery wasn't fair in some way.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
First come, first served sounds fine to me. I've never had an issue preordering an iPhone.
Reserved my 4 for collection and went and queued up.
Had my 5 delivered after ordering on pre order day, arrived on the day.
Preordered my 6 plus at 8:34, due to be delivered on Friday.

Of course having our ordering go live at 8 am makes it easy for me in the UK, as I'm already at work at 7:30.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
I didn't say "I" use my phone to make a living but there people out there who do. But there are advantages that will make my workflow better, such as comparing lab results and vital signs (work in a hospital). So yes, if it improves my work, it helps me make a living.

Exactly what does an iPhone 6 do better than a 5S to "make your workflow better"?

Generalizations and vague statements only show that you really don't know what you're talking about. I work in a hospital too and if your personal iPhone is necessary to access and process hospital/patient data your workplace is seriously doing something wrong.

Last edited:

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003

Exactly what does an iPhone 6 do better than a 5S to "make your workflow better"?

Generalizations and vague statements only show that you really don't know what you're talking about.

An iPhone 5s vs 6 nothing. BUT a 5S vs 6+ there's plenty. I need more on my screen when I'm assessing trends in vital signs, labs and stroke scale. I work in an ICU, trust me, you want me to see the bigger picture if I'm trying to treat someone.

I wasn't generalizing, I was actually stating a point against a generalization. You actually don't know what you're talking about because you're stating all phones are the same and that no phone can actually improve productivity. We're going completely electronic and I didn't say I'm using my personal phone, but I could go upgrade my work phone if I wanted to. MobileIron and Receiver apps keep me in check and allow me to do that kind of stuff. Yeah, I work for a big name hospital, we MUST be doing something wrong.

Think what you want bro I'm cool, to each his own. Not trying to turn into a keyboard warrior. Peace peace.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
An iPhone 5s vs 6 nothing. BUT a 5S vs 6+ there's plenty. I need more on my screen when I'm assessing trends in vital signs, labs and stroke scale. I work in an ICU, trust me, you want me to see the bigger picture if I'm trying to treat someone.

So if you "need more on your screen when you're assessing trends in vital signs, labs and stroke scale", why didn't you go with a phone with a larger screen in the first place? The 6+ is not the first 5.5" phone ever made.

And I'm still wondering why you are using your personal iPhone to do your assessments if it's soooo essential that you need a larger screen to do it effectively. If it was such a requirement your hospital should be supplying you the equipment you need for your job (and possibly to be HIPAA compliant). My medical practice is OR-based (anesthesiologist and medical IT) and I have NEVER heard of an iPhone being a required piece of equipment in the intensive care setting.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009

They already have a lottery.

It's called "pre-order".

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
So if you "need more on your screen when you're assessing trends in vital signs, labs and stroke scale", why didn't you go with a phone with a larger screen in the first place? The 6+ is not the first 5.5" phone ever made.

And I'm still wondering why you are using your personal iPhone to do your assessments if it's soooo essential that you need a larger screen to do it effectively. If it was such a requirement your hospital should be supplying you the equipment you need for your job (and possibly to be HIPAA compliant). My medical practice is OR-based (anesthesiologist and medical IT) and I have NEVER heard of an iPhone being a required piece of equipment in the intensive care setting.

Wow bro (or sis) I guess you didn't read where I put I'm not using my personal phone. I actually have a work issued iphone. Good for you if you're anesthesiologist, thanks for what you do. Get over your God complex, doc.

Give your versed, give your fentanyl, give your roc, give your succs.... drive off in your Porsche. ;)

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
Wow bro (or sis) I guess you didn't read where I put I'm not using my personal phone. I actually have a work issued iphone. Good for you if you're anesthesiologist, thanks for what you do. Get over your God complex, doc.

Give your versed, give your fentanyl, give your roc, give your succs.... drive off in your Porsche. ;)

And again...doesn't answer the question about why your hospital isn't issuing or requiring the right equipment for your needs in the first place. Obviously if screen size were so important to what you do on an iPhone before the 6+ was announced, a larger screened phone like a Galaxy Note would have been spec'd.

(By the way, I agree with you about Citrix Receiver displaying nicer on a larger screen but if it was that essential then you'd be running it on a 5"+ screen already, or even a laptop. So I'd say your statement about "improving workflow" is more BS than truth. And "I'm with verizon because of my work discount" does not mean your iPhone was issued to you by your hospital primarily for use in your job.)

Last edited:

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Sounds like you couldn't get your 6+ hahaha, lottery is horrible idea. I've gotten every iphone on launch day. Every. One, and I enjoy getting up to pre order. A lottery would absolutely ensure I don't

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
i get that a lottery system might be more fair, and it would make it so people don't have to wait out in the dark and cold. but i think my chances of scoring a 6 plus in particular are improved by waiting in line, putting up with the cold and the wait when many people aren't.

lol people dont have to wait in the dark or cold. My sister wants the iphone and ordered it online and will wait till whenever it ships. I on the other hand will get in line on thursday night. I dont HAVE to, I CHOOSE to.

justin216

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Tampa, FL
Much prefer first come-first serve for preorders of anything. Someone that sets aside the time to get in line early should be higher prioritized than someone that signed up much later.

For what it's worth, I also disagree with lotteries for major events. If there's that much demand consistently, the company should explore larger venues.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013

You do realize how insignificant a few microseconds are...right?

They aren't insignificant when it comes to network connections. The issue was so critical in stock exchange transactions that companies actually built fiber optic lines designed to give them this advantage in securities trading.

Ok, based on the majority of responses here, I get that most people don't want a lottery system for getting their phone delivered on launch day.

I thought that given all the complaints and angst over this year's pre-order website crash and headaches, people would have at least considered a system that avoids all of this hassle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.