Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
So because nobody can prove it (yet) I have to side with innocent 'ole Apple by default? Naw, it doesn't work that way either. Maybe Apple could prove to us that it doesn't pull these tricks instead.

You don't have to do anything or side with anyone. But false accusations and conspiracy theories will make a person seem a bit crazy.

Go ahead and ask apple for the code, no one is stopping you.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Everyone wants all new features but then they want to not install them or have old hardware run just as well as new hardware - listen to your self folks. If they let you install old software then you'd complain and sue because now there are security holes that haven't been fixed. Why should they let you install software that they know has security and other bugs. You want functions then you can't run hardware that has less processing power and less memory than the software requires.
Warning you about obvious things like old hardware will be slow is like warning you that if you stop breathing you won't live.

But this thread will exist with IOS 55 along with the upgrade made my phone slow and jerky. If you don't like it don't buy Apple.

Reactions: NoBoMac

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
I don't believe some small new features would make 1 year old devices run like a snail.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Erm. They don't want you to know they're intentionally slowing down your old device. That would be admitting to something terrible, yet obvious.

Evidence: iPhone 7 Plus running latest iOS 11 beta. Yes it's a beta, but we're dangerously close to the end of said beta and there has been a clear slow down of the device. Just in time for...oh, look a new iPhone...mine is feeling sluggish, guess I'll buy the new one! Kerching$$$$$$ (says Apple).

Now, if anyone could prove that Apple are intentionally doing this - that might just be as big a scandal as the VW emissions test falsifying. Could be highly damaging. It benefits Apple too greatly to be mere coincidence. Didn't someone find recently that 'iPhone slow' searches on Google raise 10 fold when a new iOS drops/new iPhone is released?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
It's funny because MacOS has never had this issue. Historically every version of MacOS has run as well as the version before it; I've never noticed a slowdown after a MacOS upgrade.

iOS on the other hand has almost always slowed down a bit with every upgrade. It's ironic that they don't pay as much attention to optimizing updates on devices that have far slower CPUs and less memory.

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
It's funny because MacOS has never had this issue. Historically every version of MacOS has run as well as the version before it; I've never noticed a slowdown after a MacOS upgrade.

iOS on the other hand has almost always slowed down a bit with every upgrade. It's ironic that they don't pay as much attention to optimizing updates on devices that have far slower CPUs and less memory.
Apple want force users to buy new iDevice

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I don't see any reason - not that lawyers need sense or reason - for a class action. I don't see anywhere where Apple promises or says that new software won't slow down old phones. With every release there are people who claim there phones are slow - whether on a new phone or an old one and people who think performance is great.
But day one of the new phones there will be threads about how slow their new phones are.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
It should be interesting to know if Android users experience the same slow down when the OS goes from candy to cookies. I've heard of extreme battery drain, multiple crash but slowdowns? No.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
It should be interesting to know if Android users experience the same slow down when the OS goes from candy to cookies. I've heard of extreme battery drain, multiple crash but slowdowns? No.

Guessing not a lot of data points on this as a number of Android phones never get an upgrade, be it on the manufacturer's end or the cell service provider's. And could be most users never think about upgrading, even if they could (Android does not get the press for new releases that iOS gets, so might not even be aware of an upgrade path).

Lollipop and Marshmallow are the two most used (30.8% and 31.2% respectively). And Oreo was just announced, so, we are looking at three and two versions back.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...see-steady-rise-for-nougat-and-not-much-else/

iOS, about 87% are on 10, 10% on 9, 3% older.

https://developer.apple.com/support/app-store/

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
This is easy, if users didn't demand new features then there would be no changes and the code would run at the same speed forever. Doesn't matter which platform, any software features run slower when the device is asked to run additional software on the same hardware...

Steeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2011
I've installed NOOTA from GitHub to avoid this precisely on my 9.7" iPad Pro. Stops iOS updates in their tracks as well as the nagging to upgrade. I don't want to lose the speed of yet another idevice by relenting to an update after being driven mad by update prompts

Reactions: Hastings101

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I remember updating my iPhone 3G to iOS4 a couple of days before my launch day iPhone 4 arrived. Holy smokes, it became the closest-to-bricked-without-actually-being-bricked device I’ve ever owned! XD

Then my absolutely wonderful 4 arrived, never experienced a more satisfying upgrade before or since.

I believe later iOS4 updates made the 3G a little better. Still, they never should have updated it past iOS3, it was an okay, slightly sluggish texting and basic browsing device on that version.

I kept my iPhone 3G on 2.1.1 because that was the best firmware for it. I remember all my friends complaining about iOS 3 and 4, but I was happily zooming around on iOS 2.1.1.

Reactions: yegon

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
It's the same for Android, and you don't have to upgrade the OS to have slowdown problems (most android users never upgrade the OS).
Google pushes "google play services updates" very often, and these services are becoming heavier and heavier, eat more battery ...
It's a workaround to poor OS support, tt's less visible, but it's the same: new features => more hardware usage

Reactions: NoBoMac and KGB7

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
The iphone 6S Plus has been out for 2 years, it has gone through at least 4 ios version updates, and yet this bastard runs KY silky smooth like new. Even battery life has been improved...

Last edited:

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
The iphone 6S Plus has been out for 2 years, it has gone through at least 4 ios version updates, and yet this bastard runs KY silky smooth like new. Even battery life has been improved...
I agree, although my 6S Plus is still on iOS 9.3.3 in order to keep my jailbreak.

It is the premise, though, with which I agree regarding the 6S Plus. Certain models of iOS Devices (iPhones 3GS, 4S?, 5, 6S/Plus, 7/plus? and iPads 2, 4, Air 2, 12.9" iPad Pro 1G, 10.5" iPad Pro) have become and really were destined to become longer lasting models, because of key spec upgrades like processor speed and especially RAM increases, which I believe were the most important.

ReynalynMO

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2017
Or make unusable? My iPad 3 became essentially unusable after the last update it qualified for. Why wasn't there a warning that this could happen? Should there be more transparency on Apple's part? I think so.
[doublepost=1507461740][/doublepost]Yes at least they should have warned us.

Dr_Charles_Forbin

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2016
[doublepost=1507461740][/doublepost]Yes at least they should have warned us.

It happens all the time... and I wonder if it’s the 32-> 64 bit change that’s causing some of these issues.

I’m ticked off that I pushed my 6s+ /Air 2 up to 11 on day 2. I got on Apple’s case on Friday when some L1 told me to report a couple of “problems” as feedback. All I wanted was to know is if the problems were known issues and maybe a fix. I escalated it immediately and at least a senior tech to verify it’s not a device issue. It’s been nothing but headaches. My iPad Air 2 is in the midst of the same problem now. I don’t know why, but OTA updates always seem to have problems for some people. I know that they do for me.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Apple’s incentive is to push everyone to the latest firmware, regardless of the performance issue.
So, I highly doubt this would ever happen.

yet they care enough about apps slowing down the device, which they warn users off. I guess that's very different to an iOS update slow down then. App are just apps,, no big deal use them or don't use them.

Dr_Charles_Forbin

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2016
yet they care enough about apps slowing down the device, which they warn users off. I guess that's very different to an iOS update slow down then. App are just apps,, no big deal use them or don't use them.
3rd party apps arent their responsibility, iOS is. Pointing out someone else’s problem is much easier than fixing your own.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I would argue that is another blatant lie for most users. They can surely do whatever they want to scare customers to delete old apps to “fluently” run their latest offerings. This is how tech giants work.

Dr_Charles_Forbin

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2016
I would argue that is another blatant lie for most users. They can surely do whatever they want to scare customers to delete old apps to “fluently” run their latest offerings. This is how tech giants work.
It is really amazing if you think about it how conditioned we are to it. Then again, would we even be off flip phones if apps never changed? I know people that only gave up their iPhone 4 last year when Apple dropped support. Look at Windows prior to 7. So many compatibility issues supporting outdated apps. My .02, this is worse because it’s the 32->64 bit OS jump. Why couldn’t we stay on 32 bit? Good question. I have no clue. What I’m kind of hoping is at some point in time we’ll see a single code stream for MacOS and iOS. Maybe not for the iPhone as much as the iPad.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
well.. Apple has always played by their own rules..... Perhaps its time for users to understand that after these years. That's taking the offense view.

Dr_Charles_Forbin

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2016
well.. Apple has always played by their own rules..... Perhaps its time for users to understand that after these years. That's taking the offense view.
... and it's worked well for them. I wouldn't be on a Mac if it wasn't more stable than Windows and have the infrastructure to support it. Quality costs but has imputed value. I'm right now working on fixing a friends Wintel laptop - waiting for a new keyboard. It's tedious - check for viruses, full boot scan, get windows updates, application updates, etc... no such problem on Mac. So yeah, I complain but it works well generally.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
It would invite a class action lawsuit.

Apple doesn't warn you as such.. They don't need to when no one reads the footers.

"3. Requires iPhone 6s or later, iPad Pro, iPad (5th generation), iPad Air 2 or iPad mini 4."

https://www.apple.com/au/ios/ios-11/

Anything prior is at your own risk,, i would have thought that would be easy enough.... Its the same with other iOS versions as well. That doesn't mean it won't run, but u'r own your own if its slow.

Actually, Apple should warn you on the decice because no one reads the footers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.