Why doesn't appstore push when there's an update??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OMGbrandon, Aug 30, 2011.

1. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Because Apple didn't add it as a feature. There's nothing to discuss.

2. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

that would be just another unnecessary battery drain that iphone users would have to worry about. i dont think its asking to much to just open the app store and see if there are any updates

3. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

It would be nice to have the auto update like on Android! But you know Apple is trying to save battery life as much as they can! :apple: way

4. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm sure mine puts a number against the icon when updates are available, and it changes without me opening the app?

Could be mistaken tho! iOS4.3.3 iPhone 4

5. tfalves macrumors newbie

Push what? The update or the notification?
    If you are talking about notifications, they already do. If you're talking about auto-update, that would be horrible... not everyone wants to update for a newer version of what they already have... take a look at the Final Cut X for an example ;)

6. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Mine does the same but it goes from whatever number back to 1 and when I go to check there's more then one update and the number goes back up again. Running 4.3.5 on my iPhone 4

7. terraphantm macrumors 68040

auto update while plugged in would be nice

8. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Yeah the badges for app store seem flaky for sure.

As far as others talking about auto updates...wouldn't be bad to have that as an option for those who want it. But, as mentioned, sometimes I don't even want the update. This is prob a complete noob question, but is there away to make the badge go away for those apps I don't want to update instead of them always being there? (other than completely turning off badges)

9. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I downloaded the app "Appshopper", it sends and email and/or push notification when your app gets an update. But yo have to manually search and add the apps you want to get notifications on

10. TonyC28, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2011

TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

It would be nice to have a notification badge when there is an update to one or more of your apps. But as Dandrews524 said, it would be one more little thing to drain battery so its probably not worth it. I usually check every morning to see if there are any updates.

11. mms13 macrumors 6502

I am a compulsive app update-checker, so I would like to see this feature. I seriously check for app updates like 10 times a day, I have a problem.

12. mikelegacy, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2011

mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Not a tool. Truth.

13. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Many apps do notify you of update. Pushing updates is a whole different problem though with about as many drawbacks as benefits if not more.

14. skabadelic macrumors member

They want you to have to open the app so that you have to see new apps first. In other words, it's just away to get bodies in the store.

15. saberahul macrumors 68040

Does it really matter anymore? With iOS5 around the corner, you're anyways getting automatic updates.

16. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

You not only have to worry about battery drain but also data usage. I wouldn't want a big update to be pushed to my iPhone if my battery is low, I'm on a very limited data plan and not on a wifi of network.

Also, sometimes updates aren't always good updates and it may crash a lot or not work at all if the developers screw up. If it's a key app that I use a lot and a major update comes out I may want to wait to see some feedback before I update to make sure I can still use it as I need to.

I like having the control I have now. My life doesn't revolve around having most recent version of foursquare.

17. HeezyBear macrumors regular

OP is talking about having a notification pushed to the appstore to notify you that an updated version of an app is available, not to actually update the app automatically.

18. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I'm exactly the same way. My girlfriend has an iPhone and her apps only get updated when I grab her phone and see she's got 18 updates sitting there. It drives me nuts!

19. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

Actually the OP didn't clairify if they're taking about the actual update or just a notification. If you read every response to their original post, more than 1/2 of the replies seem to be centered towards the pushing of the actual update.

20. shandyman Suspended

No you're not.

21. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I would prefer a feature like what the Android Market has.
    I can select which apps I want to be automatically updated and the others will only notify me an updated is available.
    Best of both worlds in my opinion as I can choose what I want.
    This means it won't happen in iOS for at least another year.

And for those going on about iOS5, iOS5 does not automatically update anything. You still have to manually apply updates.

22. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Push updates are bad for several reasons:

1. Simply because there's an update does not mean a user wants to update their app. At times updated apps are worse than their previous version.

2. Updates cost bandwidth. It is the user's choice to use their bandwidth to update an app. Not everyone is on Wi-Fi. It would be wrong for Apple to force any updates via non Wi-Fi.

3. What if the user is in the middle of something and an app is updated, it would interrupt the user.

4. Battery life would be worse, and Apple is all about battery life. They will not do anything to lower the batter life of their iPhone.

There is already a notification icon that appears when there are updates, it's a red circle with a number that appears to the top right of the App Store icon.

23. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

The red icon doesn't work for everyone. Some say it works, others say it doesn't. Mine doesn't... The only way to see if I have updates is to manually open the store app myself.

Too many people make excuses on here. On Android, I get the choice as to what apps can automatically update themselves, and even if none of them are set to automatically update, I get a notification every other day or so saying "updates are available" It's perfect. Apple needs to implement something like this

24. TheXFactor macrumors regular

Having updates pushed to the notification center would be the ideal solution for me. As mentioned, I would also like the ability to select which apps get updated automatically, like android does.

I'm not sure how many people have their app store icon tucked away like me. It's not in a folder, but I do not have it on the main screen. So, I have to manually find the icon, launch it and then update.