Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
When i bought my S3 i bought the standard edition, but looking at an S7 as my battery doesnt last a round of golf, which is my main use for the watch.

So if the Nike version is the same price, and it has an extra pretty cool watch face, and i think most users have more than one strap anyway, why wouldnt everyone buy the nike one?

topbin

Contributor
Mar 12, 2020
UK
For a lot of people it's timing - the Nike watch comes out a month or so later than the regular watch. I don't like the face/strap enough to wait an extra month for the watch.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
For a lot of people it's timing - the Nike watch comes out a month or so later than the regular watch. I don't like the face/strap enough to wait an extra month for the watch.

didnt know that, thanks.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

The bands are 'late' too. Not a fan of the Velcro style bands. But I wore a Nike band for years, the black with Hyper holes. I really do think that it was cooler, temperature wise, than a full flubber strap. Now have the BLM elastic strap and an loving that one so much. (It's not as weird as I thought an elastic strap would be on the AW. It is a little warmer, but 'breathes':D:cool:)

amnichols10

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
My use case is different and I’m being picky here, but the Nike version doesn‘t allow you to start a “running” workout with Siri.

It will default you to NRC and not start. If you don’t have NRC installed it will bring you to the workout app.

Again super picky, but regular Apple Watch can start a running workout hands free using Siri. Nike one you have to start it yourself. This has been going on since series 4. Apple has yet to fix it (probably because no once cares except me ☺️)

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
I absolutely loved my S2 Nike Watch – esp. the Nike watch face with the big digital letters. This was my daily driver, I barely ever used a different watch face.
When I upgraded to the S7 this spring, I simply couldn't stand any of the Aluminum colors and went on to buy the Space Gray Stainless Steel.

If there would have been an option to buy this model but with the Nike watch face I would have done it – even would have paid extra for it. Unfortunately out of some stubborn reason, only Apple and Nike may understand, that is not option.

Last edited:
Reactions: madeirabhoy

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I've never gotten a Nike Apple Watch because they only come in aluminum. I've always gotten SS and this year, titanium. I want the sapphire display. 😞

Having had both stainless and aluminium, there's a significant weight difference. The aluminium is certainly better for exercising with due to the less weight on the wrist - it sits on the wrist better.

Which i guess is the point of the Nike variant.

• Angry
Reactions: kc9hzn and jaymc

bricktop_at

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2017
The aluminium is certainly better for exercising with due to the less weight on the wrist - it sits on the wrist better.
Not really from my experience. Had both (my first AW was an S4 Alu) and since that I only bought Stainless/Ti/Ceramic. I notice no problems at all during running, swimming or other activities…

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G5
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
My S5 is a Nike edition but I doubt I’d buy another one as I don’t really use the exclusive faces anymore. I also waited an extra 3 weeks for the Nike to launch which in hindsight was unnecessary. Got a couple of Nike straps so can just put them on a future watch. Nike Run Club wasn’t that great either.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
My S5 is a Nike edition but I doubt I’d buy another one as I don’t really use the exclusive faces anymore. I also waited an extra 3 weeks for the Nike to launch which in hindsight was unnecessary. Got a couple of Nike straps so can just put them on a future watch. Nike Run Club wasn’t that great either.

I suppose if you always buy in the first week. But my thought is the opposite. I’ve already got a few normal straps so if it’s the same price and it’s got an extra face or two I’ll take the Nike. Living on a wee island in the Atlantic I doubt I’d get it in the first three weeks anyway.

Don’t think I’d pay a noticeable amount more for titanium or ceramic or whatever I doubt I’d notice the distance and the cost difference is a lot towards the next upgrade.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Having had both stainless and aluminium, there's a significant weight difference. The aluminium is certainly better for exercising with due to the less weight on the wrist - it sits on the wrist better.

Which i guess is the point of the Nike variant.
I don't know. I think if you actually notice that extra 14g or whatever it is while exercising (that's about as much as a CD weighs) you've got bigger problems. 🙄

I've never owned an aluminum Apple Watch, but I remember noticing the weight difference between the titanium and SS watches when I got my S7 last year. I noticed it, for a minute or two, and then forgot about it. And I certainly don't notice it when I'm exercising! 🤣

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Not really from my experience. Had both (my first AW was an S4 Alu) and since that I only bought Stainless/Ti/Ceramic. I notice no problems at all during running, swimming or other activities…

I'm not saying there's a "problem" with it. But the aluminium with a sports band is certainly a LOT more comfortable to exercise with in my experience. I've currently got both and switch between them.

And to the poster above - its not like the weight is an effort - its just that the aluminium watch stays put on the wrist better and shifts around less. Which is why the Nikes are aluminium - because they're sport focused.

bricktop_at

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2017
And to the poster above - its not like the weight is an effort - its just that the aluminium watch stays put on the wrist better and shifts around less. Which is why the Nikes are aluminium - because they're sport focused.
Wear it on a Sport Loop, adjust it properly and there’s no shifting around at all - regardless of the model. Nike for me is simply a lucrative collaboration for both companies 😉

the future

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
  • No Stainless Steel or Titanium model
  • Only 2 Aluminium colours
  • Limited choice of straps
  • Less deals/bargains on offer
  • A f***ing Nike logo on my watch faces

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G5
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The Nike is probably similar to the Hermes in terms of exclusive faces and straps, although the straps can be bought separately on both. At least the Nike watch doesn’t cost any more than the standard aluminium Watch. I think the Nike faces are less bland than the Hermes but then the former is a very niche market due to the hideous cost for a brand name. I sort of get the Apple/Nike collaboration as it’s a sporty angle for a watch that is marketed as being good for fitness. The Apple/Hermes collaboration for me is like Rolls Royce doing an interior for a Ford Focus . No offence lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.