Why doesn't Jay Freeman pay to keep a JB?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TSX, Nov 11, 2011.

1. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

With the millions cydia supposably makes why doesn't Jay pay someone soley to exploit and Keep a jailbreak available? Rather than relying on the luck of some hacker trying to make a name for themselfs?

2. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

i don't think we can answer this question. For all we know, he may already do that.

3. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

Paying someone doesn't guarantee that they can spot a valid vulnerability. It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Basic programming gave me the fits so one can only imagine how difficult it is to look at iOS's polished code.

The way it is now where dozens of people spend their freetime trying to make a jailbreak has worked so why change it.

4. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

I know paying doesn't guarantee an exploit, but I think there are some professionals out there that could find exploits. Especially during the iOS betas.

----------

This is the problem, they are using their free time to find a JB, look how far that's gotten us as of now. It's been a month since iOS 5 has been out, and they found the exploits during the beta. Pay someone full time to work on it to have it ready at release.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Because to Jailbreaking is NOT a business for most of the people that work on it. If they get a "paid" team, another team will come up and do it for free, it is the nature of hacking. Also he already support most of the team, it is just not completely public since he doesn't have to tell anyone what he does with his money

6. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

Yea, people would still do it as a hobby, but i think a paid team could do it faster because it would be their job and not just a hobby.

7. TC25 macrumors 68020

More money = more speed in racing, not in application development.

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I guess what we are all struggling to say is that if there were a paid dev team, they could do this as their day job and not as a hobby. There would be more time devoted to development and exploits would be found quicker. If they exist, that is. :D

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

Where did you here Cydia was racking millions. I don't think Jay is hurting. I think saying Cydia is taking millions is abet much. Dev-team likes to do it free. Anybody that finds one can offer to sell it one time or per download.

10. TC25 macrumors 68020

As someone else said, just because you don't know it's happening doesn't mean it isn't. A commercial entity with a staff paid to jb Apple devices would be a great target for Apple to go after.

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

wacka wacka a whole month?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well start paying someone then.
    Saurik or any iphone hacker doesnt owe us anything.

13. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

I read it somewhere, I know they take a cut from apps they sell on there like the apple app store. I remember a guy that sells themes on cydia said on his twitter account that he had like 20 or 30k downloads of his theme at a 1.99. I was think that's not bad especially you don't have to do any coding.

14. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Not true, Cydia DOES NOT take a cut, they charge a hosting fee if the files are storage with them (which make sense since he had to pay for those servers) and for the paying apps, there is a listing fee (to manage the payment), his revenue comes from the Ads.

15. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

If someone had a JB for the 4S right now, I would pay for it,Wouldn't you? Your right they don't owe us anything, that's why I'm not bitching about not having a JB.

16. Applejuiced, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I would donate but I dont know if I would buy a JB.
    JB and the whole dev community is much more than that.
    What good is a JB if most of the packages dont work or need to be updated for the new firmware version?
    I think they all work together as a community and dont think the pay a professional hacker group would be as simple.

17. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

Source: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cydia

"Many of the software packages available through Cydia are free, and it also includes several hundred packages for sale through the Cydia Store with a commission setup similar to the App Store."

"As of April 2011, Cydia had $10 million in annual revenue and 4.5 million weekly users, with $250,000 in profit after taxes annually."

18. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

not bitchin eh

19. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

Lol, maybe just a little. What I was trying to say is if they had a full time team it wouldn't take them as long.

20. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

a full team of how many 4-5? im sure a programer of that skill level makes about 75-80K a year so what will it cost to jailbreak to make that money + Profit back?

21. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

Well the wiki article said 10 milli a year, with 250k profit a year. They have plenty of money to pay people. They more than likely make way more than 250k profit a year, but in order to pay less taxes they give bonuses to cydia employees, buy new equipment, travel expenses, cars/trucks, Ect. To lower their profit margin so they don't have to pay high taxes. It's either give their money to uncle sam or spend money on the company and make it look like their breaking even.

22. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

if your figures are correct, your right they can afford it, and you need to be jailbroken for Jay Freeman to make any money off you as a customer, so its in his best interest a jailbreak is available to give him more possible customers.

so he made 10 million without thinking about your great idea, i wonder how he did it

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Kinda like every other business out there:D

24. TSX, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

Exactly, I work at a family owned business, you give the money to your employees rather than uncle Sam.

----------

Right now he is doing it with people that own older devices/firmware(iPhone 4,3GS,3G,iPod,iPads) he surely not making any money from the millions of 4s users that's for sure.

Just think there not a JB for 2/3 months after a new device is launch, just think what that would do for cydia if there was one shortly after launch.

So right now there is a bottle neck in his revenue with out a JB for the 4S, wait until the JB comes out and see if you don't get errors from trying to install cydia the day the JB comes out it will be flooded with new users.

Remember some apps are device specific, meaning you have to repurchase them every time you get a new device.

25. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

It must be true if it is on WIkipidia

LOL... i didn't say he didn't have revenue, but his revenue come from ads, the fee are hosting and listing fees.