Why Doesn't My iMac Detect My iPhone?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iMacJunkie, Oct 29, 2011.

1. iMacJunkie macrumors regular

So I have plugged in my iPhone in the hopes of drag-and-drop transferring my files for backup before upgrading to iOS 5, but Finder does not detect my iPhone 4 to allow for transfer of my data, but *will* allow iTunes to update and sync it, everything else.

Anyone know what's wrong?

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Nothing's wrong! That's the way it was designed to operate.

3. iMacJunkie thread starter macrumors regular

Aaahhh!! Ok. Good to know. :)

Is there a way to access my photos/videos for manual drag 'n drop to the desktop or another folder for backup?

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Nope! Unless of course there's some third party software out there.

5. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

6. FACADE, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  7. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

When I changed I just plugged in my old phone and selected back up then erase. Then I plugged in the new phone and selected restore. Everything worked fine. All my pictures, apps, music, contacts etc were there. Read the instructions.

8. iMacJunkie thread starter macrumors regular

Before proceeding with an update that has the potential to erase files I always prefer moving and backing up my files manually, hence this post. Had I proceeded with the install first I would have risked losing my photos/videos that I can't see at all in iTunes.

If I could have physically seen everything (every single little file and not just a bar) I would have trusted it more.

I'm meticulous like that. :cool:

9. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

actually before any iOS update it automatically backs up your stuff before it installs the iOS update

10. iMacJunkie thread starter macrumors regular

Now that I've been through a successful update of iOS 5, I know that now. :D

11. Martyrd0m macrumors regular

Martyrd0m

Youre kind of incorrect. Image Capture will show the iphone and will allow you to save all the photo/videos to the Photo folders under Users. Its a standard app in OSX.

12. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Pardon? :rolleyes: Image Capture has nothing to do with transferring files as described by iMacJunkie. It's primarily used for transferring images from a digital camera to the Mac etc.

13. Martyrd0m macrumors regular

Martyrd0m

He asked a question to which you replied he couldn't when in fact he can. I use Image Capture to backup all my iPhone photos to my iMac. I just did it when the 4S came out. He asked for a way to backup his photos and videos and thats the way to do it.