Why doesn't my iMac sleep when it's supposed to?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by applefan289, Jun 9, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I have my iMac set to Display Sleep - 15 minutes and Computer Sleep - 15 minutes.

Whenever the computer is left alone for 15 minutes, just the display goes to sleep, not the computer. I never had this problem until about a year ago.

I have the computer set to wake for network access, and I currently have file sharing enabled with a Windows computer.

I turned off file sharing to experiment, but the computer still won't go to sleep (just the display).

What do you think is going on? Could it be a software glitch?

I already saw the page on Apple's site that explains why your computer may not go to sleep, but I don't think it's any of those things because it was working fine about a year ago.

I have a feeling it is a software glitch that probably happened after a new software update to the OS or something, but I don't know.

2. ormie macrumors regular

ormie

Could be due to a programme running in the background such as Mail, and that's why it'll not shut down. Had that a few times. You could run repair permissions to see if that helps but if that persists, you could dons clean install of OSX, or contact Apple to see what can be done to help.

Cheers, Macjim.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Repairing permissions won't help, as it's unrelated to sleep issues. Before doing something as drastic and unnecessary as reinstalling the OS or contacting Apple, it's better to use the troubleshooting information they've already provided, in the link that I posted.

4. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

I tried most of that.

I experimented with the "don't allow Bluetooth devices to wake the computer" option. I also disconnected all USB devices. I turned off file sharing again.

Nothing fixed it.

This started happening automatically, as I don't remember changing any settings. It's not a huge deal, it's just annoying that the computer itself never sleeps unless I manually tell it to.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you look at the 2nd link I posted?

6. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, but most of what it deals with is USB/power button, etc. It also says "what could be waking up your computer", when in fact my computer never goes to sleep on its own. I've had the same setup (nothing changed) for the last 2 years, which is why I think it's a software glitch. My computer goes to sleep and stays asleep if I put it to sleep manually by going to :apple: then Sleep or just pressing the power button. It's not worth calling Apple or reinstalling the OS, but any further help is appreciated.