Why doesn't OSX Preview work as well as Windows' Preview feature?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kosoku, May 10, 2009.

1. kosoku macrumors newbie

In Windows XP/Vista, if you are navigating in a folder containing pictures, and you click any picture, it opens up Windows built in preview program. Much like OSX. However, in Windows, you can click "Next/Previous" within that program to quickly flip through those photos. Why do the up & down arrows in OSX not work? I still prefer my iMac to any PC I have owned, but this one little thing bugs me to no end. Is there a setting I can change somewhere to make that work like in Windows?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could use Quick Look and navigate to the next or previous picture with the arrow keys.

But I know what you mean, it annoyed me too, until I mostly use Quick Look for simply looking at pictures.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Select all the images you want to open in Preview. They will open in a single window, where you can navigate using the arrow keys.

Or, use Coverflow view, or select all the images and hit "space" to open in QuickLook. You can navigate with arrow keys, view all in thumbnails, view full screen, or in a automatic slideshow.

4. duky macrumors 6502

Yeah just press Space and use the arrows left/right..quicker than using Preview and more functional unless you're trying to do some editing etc. The only thing I really use Preview for is PDFs..

5. boast macrumors 65816

boast

you could do that in OSX tiger. So I assume you're using leopard?

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Per the suggestion below, use Quick Look to do this, not Preview.

In Finder, view the folder in Column view. Go to the first file and press the space bar. Use the arrow up and down keys to move. Notice how OS X will show you a view of nearly every file type that you have in that folder, even if it's not a picture?

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I mentioned Preview 'cause I thought they were talking about a Windows app - missed "built-in" (you can tell how much I use Vista).

I use Quicklook mostly. Another option: for a folder I go back to often to browse, I change the view to "Always open in icon view", then set "Show icon preview".

8. karaho macrumors newbie

quicklook fullscreen preview

Yes quicklook works perfect, but if you put it in fullscreen after you can't use arrow keys for listing files.. that sucks

9. capps macrumors member

You mean why doesn't Windows Fax & Picture Viewer work as well as Preview? :confused: Preview works great!

10. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Sounds like the OP did not know how to do the same task in OS-X.

I'm glad it usually does not happen the other way around.
    :D

11. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Looks like TS was unfamiliar with Quicklook. For some reason, this was one of the Leopard features I completely missed the utility of until it was pointed out to me by a friend. Now I get annoyed with the lack of a true Windows equivalent when I am on a Win machine.