All iPads Why doesn't the iPad Air have a calculator built in?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ibis ghost, Mar 19, 2014.

1. ibis ghost macrumors member

I don't understand why they don't include this in the iOS. I know I can download one but its nice to use the control panel when needing it quickly.

2. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it's odd since the iPhone does have one built-in. There is also no default weather app on the iPad either.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

A question for the ages, it makes no sense. Thankfully, though there's a number of them for free in the app store.

4. a042349 macrumors member

5. Kendo macrumors 68000

Not sure what you mean by this?

I used the iPad last night to research mortgage rates and view homes that I was interested in purchasing because I'd rather do this on an iPad than a tiny iPhone.

I needed to use my iPhone's calculator to determine my mortgage payments and tax which is pretty ridiculous that I couldn't just do it on the iPad without downloading a calculator app.

How can they expect the iPad to replace textbooks if you can't do simple math on it for math class?

6. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

I think you are too focus on iPad not having a calculator rather than on there are tens of free apps that will achieve what you want. They just don't have the Apple Logo.

7. cynics macrumors G4

While true, however 3rd party apps aren't easily accessible from control panel.

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

It is a hue question that there is no clear answer to. Apple really should add it in iOS 8.

9. Atrin1 macrumors regular

you could just 4 fingers swipe left or right to open the calculator app. probably faster than the control center calculator if it was there

10. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Because you don't need a calculator for "simple math".

...you need the wolfram alpha apps ;-)

\jk

11. cynics macrumors G4

You could do a lot of things. Still think an iPad should have a calc. :D

12. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

So that when you do your taxes you look like this?

[​IMG]

13. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

There should be a way to pull it out from the side like control center. Would be a neat feature.

14. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

To be honest though, there is only a few good calculator app for iPad. The screen is simply too huge and existing calculator apps are either too simple or too messed up.

Porting full blown Calculator and Weather app directly to iPad will be ridiculous and wasting screen estate needlessly (look at Newsstand app on iPad)

Shame because Apple is well known to be proud of their apps optimized for iPad display.
    Apple should come up with another approach of iPad calculator and weather. Make it able to fully use the big display and also ability for advanced calculations or even graphic plotting.

It's a $499 device, give us a good calculator for free, please :apple:

15. Señor macrumors 6502

Señor

Introducing the iPad Air with Calculator support, the most forward thinking iPad yet.

16. HenryDJP macrumors 603

What calculator apps have you been looking at? I bought the MaxiCalc app and it certainly is not "too simple" or messed up. It's a full calculator with scientific functions, including an adding machine with tape. It's optimized for iPad and fills the entire screen. It fully simulates the true retro style adding machine calculator. I think I paid $0.99. It's very good, but I do agree that Apple should've included a free one. I don't get why they didn't.

17. bniu macrumors 6502a

I really wish the iPad would have all the default iPhone apps as well, including the Phone app. Yes, I know some of these aren't really designed for iPad, but it's a matter of convenience. If I've got my iPhone in the other room, and I'm on my iPad and want to make a call, or make a quick calculation, I don't want to go retrieve my phone to make a call. I just want to make a call right then and there.

18. kathyricks macrumors 6502

The original 1984 Mac 128K running OS 1.1 had a built in calculator!

19. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

While MaxiCalc quite good, I often use calculator for scientific function. What I really want is an advanced scientific calculator like this, with natural equation input (like VPAM in Casio Calculators)

[​IMG]

Well okay that may be going to be expensive but I would gladly pay for this app. Do you have suggestion in mind?

20. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

I believe he/she was being facetious. Microsoft has been trying to make the case that their tablets are for work, iPads are for consumption/play.

Yeah, I can't figure how Calculator, Stocks, Clock (on iOS 5.1.1), and Weather are not useful to iPad users. But then, I have the first generation iPad. Apple didn't think a camera would be useful.

I have PCalc Lite on my iPad - quite nice. Those huge buttons remind me of the keys on desktop calculators - it's not that much larger than on the real thing, and on a Mini they'd probably be just right.

21. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Not from the lock screen.

22. DancyMunchkin macrumors member

Yes, it's ridiculous the iPad doesn't contain every app we'll ever need right out of the box. :rolleyes:

23. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I don't currently have a suggestion but I will say this, that's a very sophisticated looking calculator and could easily be made for the iPad. Not sure why some great developer hasn't made something like this so far. Yes, other than MaxiCalc there aren't any real great complex calculators for iPad. I figured by now there would be. I just got my first iPad (Air) and I was surprised by the anemic amount of calculators on the App Store.

24. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Look up TI NSpire.

25. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares