Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
God forbid we have consistent performing devices on the same platform. This is obviously half there but missing an iPad front end. And as discussed it is more than one app.
It is not because 99 cents or whatever something costs would be too expensive. A basic weather display on any device should make sense to everyone.
Apple is also about ease of use. Not only should there be an app for it but it should be populated with the same locations I check on the app on my iPhone. My two cents. Besides, premium products and all. :)
Smacks of whininess & entitlement to me. It's mountains of molehills from those who have nothing more significant to complain about.

However, to each his own. Just my .02.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Smacks of whininess & entitlement to me. It's mountains of molehills from those who have nothing more significant to complain about.

However, to each his own. Just my .02.
Sure, you made it clear you don't really like the topic. Thankfully you are not forced to participate in any discussion you don't like.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Sure, you made it clear you don't really like the topic. Thankfully you are not forced to participate in any discussion you don't like.

Hah. I had forgotten that on MRF folks get pissy when anyone who disagrees chimes in. Silly me.

You: Complaining
Me: Counter argument
You: More complaining
Me: More counter argument
You: GTFU

As you wish, I'll say nothing further. Adieu.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Hah. I had forgotten that on MRF folks get pissy when anyone who disagrees chimes in. Silly me.

You: Complaining
Me: Counter argument
You: More complaining
Me: More counter argument
You: GTFU

As you wish, I'll say nothing further. Adieu.

I had forgotten it's Macrumors where certain people just jump onto a discussion, label it silly, and then complain when they are being asked why they participate in the first place.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
B/c God forbid we pay a developer (.99) for making an app. ;)
I have a simple calculator that Apple already developed for iOS, on my Phone. Why can't I simply install that on my slightly larger phone iOS on my iPad?

It's the little things.

BTW - have lots of paid for applications on my iPad, so get off your high horse.

Reactions: ericwn

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I have a simple calculator that Apple already developed for iOS, on my Phone. Why can't I simply install that on my slightly larger phone iOS on my iPad?

It's the little things.

BTW - have lots of paid for applications on my iPad, so get off your high horse.
Relax. No high horse except of your own making.

I used a a semicolon--the universal symbol of "in jest." :p

Reactions: Count Blah

WarDialer

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2015
San Jose, CA
Relax. No high horse except of your own making.

I used a a semicolon--the universal symbol of "in jest." :p

Oooooh right. Throw insults (elitism, idiocy) at someone who dares to have a different opinion then you and when called on it run to the safe space of "I was JOKING."

So you are basically admitting everything you said is a sign of intellectual cowardice such that you fail to put forth a well thought out counter argument (because you can't) and instead are just making LOLs? We should just learn to ignore every comment you make because you will claim JUST JOKING when called on your unfounded and intellectually vacant BS?

Got it.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
So they can charge more for it. That's really it. I wish it wasn't so since I'd never own an iPad without cellular support. Apples got me by the nuggets for sure. ;)

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
So they can charge more for it. That's really it. I wish it wasn't so since I'd never own an iPad without cellular support. Apples got me by the nuggets for sure. ;)
I'm confused, they aren't charging for any official calculator app on the App Store afaik.

Unamuno

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2016
Speaking of old saws, "Steve Jobs never would have..." may be the oldest of all. :cool:

I had never considered that a built in calculator app was the litmus test for "serious computers." (I probably never will.) :rolleyes:

Besides, everyone knows the true litmus test for those bemoaning iOS and yearning for halcyon days of computing is whether it has built in Solitaire and Minesweeper. And perhaps a daily dose of BSOD. ;)
Well, you must be aware that nobody takes a picture with the included camera anymore. That's what phones are for. So realistically tablets are to computers as oil-based paint is to wall covering. They still make it but it's not the focus of development.

Reactions: ericwn

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
The number of fanbois defending Apples lack of calc on the iPad is hilarious (or sad). Its iOS, the calculator code already exists, there is no doubt it is easier to use than an add-on app, and it would be used all the time by many folks. Its just stupid.

If its not needed on the iPad then its not needed on the iPhone either.

I'd like to see Tim Cook's answer to "why doesnt the iPad have a built in calculator avialble from the lock screen or control panel." That would be popcorn viewing.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
Well there are some arrogant companies like Flipkart who refuse to release iPad apps with horizontal viewing support. That is far worse than inclusion of calculator.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
How does no horizontal support equate arrogance?
Flipkart wants us to do all online shopping on their app as they give some app-only deals. Almost everyone uses iPad in horizontal orientation as it gives better font legibility. But Flipkart app does not work in that orientation. That is lazy on part of developers.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Flipkart wants us to do all online shopping on their app as they give some app-only deals. Almost everyone uses iPad in horizontal orientation as it gives better font legibility. But Flipkart app does not work in that orientation. That is lazy on part of developers.
Interesting.

However, laziness =/= arrogance.

Unamuno

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2016
If they offered to let the iPad optimization team out of the windowless closet where they work, they might find the time to make a split screen calculator. Couldn't they look at the keyboard code and do something? Apple could let it work for iPads and the biggest iPhone only. A new way to segment products besides pre-installed memory?

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I'd like to see Tim Cook's answer to "why doesnt the iPad have a built in calculator avialble from the lock screen or control panel." That would be popcorn viewing.

I'd also like to hear someone from Apple say why. I don't even care what the reason is. I'd just like to hear them explain why they think we don't need it. Same goes the weather app.

Reactions: 147798

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I saw that too. I guess I can buy that that was the original reason it wasn't included, but it doesn't explain the lack of it now.

Excellent point. Old anecdotes might be fun, but neither are they verifiable nor do they explain why this inconsistency is still in place. Apple never struck me as a company that didn't have the courage to change its position when an error was discovered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.