Why doesn't the iPod cable work like a MagSafe?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by maclook, Aug 11, 2011.

1. maclook macrumors 65816

I'm waiting for the iPod cable to make the jump to a MagSafe style. The fear that I have that I or someone else will accidentally pull my iPad off a counter when it's charging is something I haven't thought about since I bought my first MBP.
    Anyone else think the iPod cable (sorry, that's what I call it) should be updated soon?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPod dock cable has 30 pins in it. If Apple was to make a cable like the MagSafe, which only has five, it would be much too large for iPods and iPhones.

3. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

Sounds like we should challenge apple IMO

I like the idea

4. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Although it would be hard to pull off, I would love to see this happen.:apple:

5. maclook thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess that's why it's taking Apple so long to develop. There's no doubt in my mind that it will come sooner or later. There's an old patent for a magsafe, that looked exactly like a MB's magsafe, for use with iOS devices. I always thought it would be a magnetic iPod cable though.

6. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Wouldn't this require a rather weaker magnet? iOS devices are so light that the entire thing still might go flying off the table if someone tripped over the wire.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A weaker magnet is a must. As is backwards compatibility with current dock cables and docks.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Won't happen! There is way to much money in that simple little 30pin connector for apple to mess around with it.

9. dustinl4m3 macrumors regular

Quite punny.

10. cube macrumors G5

The cable carries data. You don't want it unplugging at the slightest whim.

11. PaulWog Suspended

Exactly this.

Otherwise we'd have already seen magsafe in other things already.

It would be nice if the iPad had a separate magsafe power plug in addition to being able to charge it from the regular iPad plugin. A magsafe plug doesn't take too much space up.

12. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

Bah you guys are right. Now watch apple introduce all new cables in this next iPod refresh anyways haha

13. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I think this would be an excellent idea. I've already tripped over the power cord to my iPad 2 and sent it hurtling to my hardwood floor. Luckily it was in a case so no damage was sustained but it was still extremely scary.

14. maclook thread starter macrumors 65816

We'll be syncing and updating through wifi soon enough.

15. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

just another hole in the device. Steve doesn't like holes. at least in iDevices. :rolleyes:

16. cube macrumors G5

It will still be a device port.

17. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

omg i just got it!

18. jaytv111 macrumors regular

I think Apple would rather work on wireless charging (a la Witricity) and wireless syncing instead. You can't trip over no wire at all.

19. LagFighter macrumors regular

It's not really viable from an engineering perspective. When it's just power you're transferring over the plug, it's no problem. However, with the thirty-pin connector, which transfers over tons of different kinds of information, it won't work.

Trust me - if it were possible, Apple would have already done it.

20. PaulWog Suspended

:( So I guess I won't be getting to look forward to the prospect of an iBlowUpDoll.

21. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

Ya, Apple put the iPad out long after the MacBook's started using magsafe and if it would have made sense and worked well, we would have it on our iPad's right now. We don't because there must've been some kind of flaw or issue and Apple doesn't let big things like that happen.

22. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Bingo

23. xraytech macrumors 68020

Well the 30 Pin cable that comes with your iPad does break away when yanked. Sounds to me you're still using the old style cable.

24. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

My cable is brand new came with the iPhone4 if I'm not careful and say it gets caught on another cable or around my foot, then yes I can send it crashing to the floor. But Thankfully I have really good carpet in here so haven't broken it yet. Although if you yank it straight out, yes it comes out clean. Just have to be careful.

25. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I recommend a dock or music player that you can charge the iPad w/ no worries of tripping.