Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GanleyBurger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
I've been trying out new MACs at Apple Stores. I want a 17" macbook pro LAPTOP or a top of the line Imac for music recording (Ableton Live / Mbox 2 / nothing too huge, mostly 8 to ten vurtual instrument tracks).

My in-store test was to open GarageBand on various models (lots of wavefiles, loops, etc.)

It seemed to take forever to open Garageband... and browse wavefile loops, even on a the 17" MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33 with 2Gigs of Ram and a 256 graphics card.

Am I crazy? Why don't Macs seem "Zippy?" Is it because the ones in the stores are conected to the internet?

Honestly, I just sold my 20" Imac with 2.0 Core Duo and 2 gigs Ram because of that very thing... solid, but hardly fast.

Don't be haters... :) I just thought that the latest Macs would FLY, lightning fast!!! Ever try a PC with a high-end AMD processor? Whoosh.... Watch how fast Windows XP is on Parallels on the Mac... and that's with OSX in the background.

I'm not going back to PC... I just don't get it...:eek:

My Post #55: I don't know... I guess that it just comes down to the fact that I am discouraged with today's technology... that anything should lag or hesitate at all. Hello... it's 2007 now...

Look at Japan: While Steve Jobs boasts in SF that the new iphone will have a 2.0 megapixel camera, the Japanese are cracking up! They have cell phones with 5 and 6 megapixel cameras. Or consider concept cars at big auto shows. We want those styles now, not ten years from now. Give us what we want!!!

If Intel makes a Quad chip (which I know has already been tested in a MAC PRO and seems to work fine - do a search on it), then dammit... give it to us!!! Give the people what they want!!!

Mac and Intel started making faster chips..... then they make more graphics-sucking applications, bells and whistles. It's like they are going back in time. I would rather have a faster computer than all of the cool graphics and crap. Can I get a witness?????

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Mine is zippy. 2.0 C2D Macbook 2GB. Plus I don't know how you can judge speed on program startup.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Garageband ran fine on my Core Solo Mini with 1.5GB of RAM. As others have said, it's most likely the hard drive that's slowing it down. You'll probably wanna boot off of an external FW drive if you're really interested in speed there. Also, keep in mind that floor models take a lot of abuse, and aren't always the best representations of what a computer can do.

GanleyBurger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
My Core Duo Imac had a 7200 RPM drive / 2 gigs ram. I was recording to a Glyph 400 FW drive. I launched RMX drums in Garageband... or Ableton Live... and it was taking about 5 seconds to launch the next new wave file previewed in the browser. Ugggghhhh.

So if your saying that Hardrive speed may be key, then the 17" laptop is only running at 5200 rpm with the 160 Hardrive could be even slower than the Imac with 7200 rpm... in theory.

So-many guys that I know record on old G4 laptops and say they have no problems. Shouldn't the newest technology screem in speed? OR is it the cooler graphics that wipe out the faster technology? :cool:

GanleyBurger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Thank you guys for responding...

Garageband ran fine on my Core Solo Mini with 1.5GB of RAM. As others have said, it's most likely the hard drive that's slowing it down. You'll probably wanna boot off of an external FW drive if you're really interested in speed there. Also, keep in mind that floor models take a lot of abuse, and aren't always the best representations of what a computer can do.

Isn't 7200 rpm Apple's fastest drive now?

Also, when you say "You'll probably wanna boot off of an external FW drive if you're really interested in speed there." what do you mean? Boot Garageband, boot wavefiles...

GanleyBurger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
suneohair

Is your Laptop your primary computer? Are you doing audio recording?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

Also, when you say "You'll probably wanna boot off of an external FW drive if you're really interested in speed there." what do you mean? Boot Garageband, boot wavefiles...
An internal or FW800 10,000/15,000 RPM hard drive would be faster.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Wow that is the most retarded comment I have read here in a while. My iMac Core 2 Duo absolutely flogs my Power Mac Dual G5 for pretty much everything! It's also just as stable. :rolleyes:

I disagree. I find my Intels to be slightly slower than my G5 at day-to-day tasks. Sure, the Intel systems encode video and play games faster, but for general apps I find that there's a bit of a "lag". Hopefully Leopard will indeed speed things up a bit.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
Wow that is the most retarded comment I have read here in a while. My iMac Core 2 Duo absolutely flogs my Power Mac Dual G5 for pretty much everything! It's also just as stable. :rolleyes:

my macbook has little quirks here and there. nothing big, but it certainly doesn't compare to my dual g5 in terms of stability. that computer was rock solid.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
I disagree. I find my Intels to be slightly slower than my G5 at day-to-day tasks. Sure, the Intel systems encode video and play games faster, but for general apps I find that there's a bit of a "lag". Hopefully Leopard will indeed speed things up a bit.

I agree. I notice a bit of lag even coming from my old powerbook G4. Don't get me wrong, this MBP still flies, but there's definitely some lag where the G4 did not. I'm hoping leopard is better written to utilize intel machines, and that will speed things up (because the machine will be used more efficiently).

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007

apple doesn't put 7200rpm drives in the macbook pros...they only go up to 5400

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I agree. I notice a bit of lag even coming from my old powerbook G4. Don't get me wrong, this MBP still flies, but there's definitely some lag where the G4 did not. I'm hoping leopard is better written to utilize intel machines, and that will speed things up (because the machine will be used more efficiently).

This is just absolute BS. When the transition to Intel is annouced, Apple confirmed they had been running OS X on Intel processors since its first iteration 'just in case'.

So to say that the code in Tiger isn't fully optimised for Intel architecture is just absolute steaming poo. It's equally as optimised for Intel as it is for PPC. The only time it will feel more sluggish on Intel hardware is when using a non-universal app running in Rosetta.

FYI, I own Macs of both PPC and Intel era and have to say that iLife, CS3 Beta, and many many other universal programs run much faster on Intel than on PPC.

David

EDIT: BTW, it is iMac not Imac.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
This is just absolute BS. When the transition to Intel is annouced, Apple confirmed they had been running OS X on Intel processors since its first iteration 'just in case'.

So to say that the code in Tiger isn't fully optimised for Intel architecture is just absolute steaming poo. It's equally as optimised for Intel as it is for PPC. The only time it will feel more sluggish on Intel hardware is when using a non-universal app running in Rosetta.
I don't know about that. I mean in theory maybe you're right but I've been using an eMac and an iBook G4 for a number of years and recently got a MacBook Pro. Well, there definitely is lag where there wasn't on the PPC systems. It's very fast doing certain things, but it seems to take a while to get there. I'm also hoping for a more consistent, stable system when Leopard comes out but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
I just want to throw in that judging by forum posts in the past in various different topics and my friends personal experiences that the general impression I get is that OS X (Intel) is less stable then OS X (PPC).

It could be totally wrong, but thats definitely the impression I get.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
Yes, to be clear I think we are all comparing OS X (Intel) to OS X (PPC) and saying the former isn't quite there yet in terms of stability or speed.

But compared to Windows, any version of OS X far outpaces it in both respects. I have the unfortunate experience of using Windows on my Intel 4 machine at home and even though it's basically a clean install with only a couple applications installed, that thing is so laggy and crash-prone I shudder just thinking about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.