Why don't more people comment on the suicide edges

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zipur, Jun 26, 2013.

1. zipur macrumors 6502

Normally I use the wireless keyboard and mouse but for the past few days I've needed to use the rMBP as it was designed. Maybe its my large hands but the edges are slicing my wrist & palms. By the end of the day they feel like I've been dragging my palms on the freeway at 70 miles an hour.

Anyone take a Grinder to their rMBP?

2. simsaladimbamba

There are people complaining about this, but they also use the wrong posture to use a keyboard.

http://www.apple.com/about/ergonomics/upsol.html

I also do not use the keyboard correctly probably, but I have not experienced any sharp edges on the two Unibody MBPs I had.

3. Oridus macrumors 6502a

My palms rest comfortably along either side of the track pad... but I do have a 15'' rmbp, so I don't know if that makes a difference from anything else. Depending on if i'm sitting in a big cushy chair or not, sometimes I do feel a very slight discomfort on my wrists, but nothing a quick adjustment can't fix.

4. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

I personally have no problem with the rMBP 15". Compared to the previous models, this is like heaven. The older MacBook Pros were terrible for that due to their height in that form factor. The new form factor is a welcome improvement in this department. Best of luck.

5. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

The rMBP is my first Macbook (only owned an iMac before it) so I can't compare but I never feel any kind of discomfort. At least not noticeable enough so I guess the edges are not as sharp as on the cMBP.

6. leman macrumors 604

I don't have any complains about the edges on the 15" rMBP...

7. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

Never really noticed such problems with mine.

8. falconeight Guest

falconeight

If someone threw a macbook at you like a Chinese star it would kill you.

9. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

I have no issues with the MBP body...

Magic mouse however feels so awkward and terrible.

10. Nerio27 macrumors member

What I've noticed is some people hold their mouse with a claw grip, others rest the palm of their hand on the mouse. Those who claw their mouses usually are fine with the magic mouse, but those who rest their hand have issues with it being so flat.

11. zipur thread starter macrumors 6502

Both devices could have smooth edges and not affect the design.
    I still love my MBP!

12. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

You could probably sand it down a bit without damaging the structural integrity of the device. Just saying...

13. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

A friend of mine did that with his 2011 MBP. It was pretty subtle and if I didn't know he did that I wouldn't have noticed. I never really used it, so I can't comment on how much of a difference it actually made.

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I can't say it was ever the deciding factor in whether or not I bought a MBP, but it's certainly an annoyance that (very slightly) let to the return of a maxed 15" about a year ago.

15. Doward macrumors 6502a

I have large meaty hands.

The edges aren't at all sharp, to me. Very comfortable on my 17"!

16. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Large meaty hands sounds as bad as sweaty beefy farts.:eek:

17. Idefix macrumors 6502

Yes, if you search you'll find photos where a belt sander was used on the sharp edges...

The concern is that the "remedy" cuts thru the anodizing?

18. zipur thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah 17 may have a larger palm guard

19. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Because they don't have problems with it. I'm not sure why it matters. If you're having problems with it you're having problems with it regardless of how many others are or aren't complaining.

20. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I have a early 2013 13" rMBP and I can't say I've noticed the sharp edges. I use it daily for hours at a time, even more on weekends and I've never had an issue with the hand rest areas being uncomfortable or feeling like they're cutting me.

21. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

my rMBP seems perfect. Had problem at the beginning with my 2011 MBP because of the sharp edges near the trackpad.... where you put fingers to open the screen

22. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

The things that I have issues with are the points right in front of the trackpad where you lift the lid up when it's closed. My hand rubs against it a lot when I'm sitting straight up and it's really annoying.

23. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yeah, actually those sharp points punched a few holes in two of my shirts... of course this is due to me sitting in worn out sofas in coffee shops, with the laptop on my lap. Still, a slightly smoother design here wouldn't hurt.

The edges are ok for me otherwise.

24. Idefix macrumors 6502

Just for some historical context, people have been complaining about the sharp edges for ages. If you google "macbook pro sharp edges fix" you'll see loads of threads going back many years (including many threads from macrumors.) And you'll see many comments about how the sharp edges don't bother people, about how you've got bad typing posture, bad ergonomics, ad infinitum.

You'll also see many youtube solutions, many very weird, funny, or outrageous solutions.

Here's a dremel suggestion from 2009, which you'd have to be crazy to try (think what it would do to resale value):

http://dustwell.com/macbook-pro-sharp-edge.html

Here's a non-destructive suggestion from 2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h22Uxqy3z8

which is this product:

http://www.guardstrip.com/

Ugly, but does remedy the sharp edges, and will come off if you get sick of them!