Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Modernape

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
... the sharp edges near the trackpad.... where you put fingers to open the screen

I smoothed those points off with fine wet&dry paper on both my current rMBP and previous MBP - no tarnishing as a result of removing the anodising on either.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
There are people complaining about this, but they also use the wrong posture to use a keyboard.

http://www.apple.com/about/ergonomics/upsol.html

I also do not use the keyboard correctly probably, but I have not experienced any sharp edges on the two Unibody MBPs I had.

Never knew Apple had a page on ergonomics!

I love this bit:

Common cause - unable to touch type
Solution - learn to touch type.

So informative! :D

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
This is a major benefit of the MBA. I was going to get an rMBP to add to my MBA. Now I'm less sure (I have problems with my hands). 15 day trial here we come.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

the 13" pro is the only one that suffers from this in my experience. The airs have the taper that prevents it and the palm rest on the larger pros are big enough to prevent it. The 13" pro however is sharp as hell when typing

devilcm3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2011
South Melbourne, Australia
I use a hardcase, which has blunt edges....

Since that day i'm no longer an emo kid....

DSC_0680.JPG

DSC_0681.JPG

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
There are people complaining about this, but they also use the wrong posture to use a keyboard.

http://www.apple.com/about/ergonomics/upsol.html

I also do not use the keyboard correctly probably, but I have not experienced any sharp edges on the two Unibody MBPs I had.

You're not holding the phone right.

You're not using a keyboard right.

You're expecting too much when your $2000 "pro" laptop throttles under normal use

Blah blah blah....

Why? Because, as a whole, Apple culture would rather blame the user. They'd rather blame the user than admit the product has a fault, and suggest it has a fault in the hopes that it will be improved in a new version.

Which is a shame, because it is through criticism that great products become perfect products.

Technically, it may not be a fault, I may be sitting at the computer in a specific way that may not be 100% perfect posture. But it doesn't matter with my Thinkpad... I can be reaching over to it inside of an air duct to find the schematic for an amp that I am working on inside of a ceiling and it's still comfortable. And my phone works regardless of how I hold it - why I have a Samsung & a Lenovo instead of an iPhone and a Macbook Pro. That's what makes it cool, I don't have to think about this nonsense using another product. I just sit and work, without hurt wrists based on how I type.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.