Why don't people charge their phones every night?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theapplefanboyj, Oct 9, 2014.

1. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

And then they complain about battery life. I wouldn't use my phone 3am in the morning. I don't get why some people don't. It's not that hard to take it off charge in the morning.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't get your beef here.
    I do use my phone at 3 am, far too frequently. I also charge it most nights but sometimes I am intentionally letting the battery die. I do that about once a month actually. It is not hard to charge it but if I do not, what is it to you?

3. deviant macrumors 65816

4. Yonkis macrumors newbie

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No idea. My old HTC Touch Pro sat on my nightstand as an alarm clock for 3.5 years and my iPhone 5 has been doing it for over 2 years now. Both plugged in every night with the screen on all night.

Makes complete sense to me to have my phone plugged in.

I think the better question is, why do people who are using their cell phones as their primary phone (no landline in the house) turn their phones OFF at night or put their phones in to airplane mode?

I get you don't want to be disturbed, but in my humble opinion I'd much rather be woken up at 3am because I'm being called by a family member with an emergency. That's much better than finding out at 9am the next morning that something really bad happened and they tried to call and couldn't get a hold of you. Don't get that one.

6. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I never turned mine off or put it in airplane mode. I have used DND most nights since the feature came to iOS. I love it. I have four people who can call me and it will ring through; they're in my favorites and they're all family. If there is a true emergency and someone off my list is calling, they'll likely call back. It has happened once already.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I have always plugged my phones in and let them charge overnight. If it has any kind of detrimental effect on battery life, it hasnt been noticeable in the 1-2 years I've owned them.

9. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

I have asked myself why my wife doesn't charge her's at night for years. I've come to the determination that it her choice, I've decided to just let it go.

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Stop telling people when we talk!

OP, I do charge my phone every night. But I was still having issues when I had my 5 because I used it way too often during the day for business calls/personal calls/texts etc.. It just simply wasn't big enough.

11. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I charge every night and everyone else I know does the same. Unfortunately, it doesn't excuse the apparent issues with these batteries. By now, we should have longer lasting devices and I feel like the next big thing for smartphones will be battery life that lasts days.

12. theapplefanboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright. I get what you mean. But if you're asleep wouldn't it make more sense to charge it?

13. Gincoma macrumors 6502

Maybe some people like to sleep with there phone in there hands. I do but not becuae I love the phone its just I have to have something in my hand to sleep like my wallet or something been a habit since a kid, I know weird huh lol

14. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

I have a 6, which I charge every night. I also have my old 4S that I use, since I listen to podcasts or music while I'm trying to nod off, then also the alarm in the morning.

Granted, a couple times, my 6's battery has been at about 70-80% when I've gone to bed, so I didn't worry about plugging it in.

15. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Unless we get to the point where batteries can literally last a week or more between charges, it only makes sense to plug it in every night to make sure you're charged for the next day. Do people really not do this?

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

haha! That's when I am at my best!

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, that's what I do too. My phone is on 24/7, but usually plugged in anywhere from 8-9pm until 5:30 in the morning.

I'm jailbroken as well, so I use Ringers and Tones in addition to DND to make sure that important people can get through on the first call while blocking out crank calls or people I don't need or wish to hear from at that time of day/night.

I brought the question up because I've read here of more than one person who puts their phones in Airplane mode at night. I can totally see that if you have a landline. But it doesn't make any sense if your cell phone is your primary (only) phone.

18. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Yes you are ;).

I'm surprised to see people put their phones on Airplane Mode. But then again I do have a business and no landline if a family member or friend needs to get a hold of me for an emergency..

19. Snot Rox macrumors 6502

Snot Rox

Just having the time of my life here

20. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Do people think before posting threads in this sub forum? You are staying over at someones house, and you don't have access to your charger. Hence you are unable to charge your phone every night and it could die on you. People complain about that

21. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I must not be a people, because I do charge mine every night.

----------

I've never felt this way before.

22. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

becasue they would not be able to screenshot thier 1% left usage screen

23. GoingDark macrumors 6502

Exactly this. If I'm spending the night at my girlfriend's place, I'm not always going to remember to pack a charger.

Also, not everyone is glued to their phones like we are, some people only use them occasionally, and most of the time they leave them in purses or whatever. They don't always remember to diligently take them out and plug them in every night.

24. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

I swear it's the truth.

25. caesarp macrumors 6502a

I don't understood your view on this. My wife's father called her at 3:00 AM once (woke up the whole house), to tell her that her mom was in the hospital due to an emergency. But don't come visit (several hours away) or call the room as she's recovering now -- just thought you'd want to know what's going on. So of course we could not fall back asleep and we were miserable the next day at work.

Now he could have called and said the exact same thing at 9:00 AM the next day and nothing would have been different. I'm not a doctor, I'm not a paramedic. If you got a problem, I don't care how you are related to me, there is little I can do for you at 3:00 in the morning. So what's the point? My phone is off every night or on do not disturb.

Similar to what I used to tell my mom when I was a teenager, if I came home late and she was upset with worry. I said, if I'm in a car crash or something, eventually the police or some authority will contact you. Its not like it will be a mystery for very long. So what's the point of worrying that something might have happened.

Jeez people. What did we do before cell phones?

----------

What true emergency is there that can't be dealt with in the morning? If you are not a doctor, a nurse, a paramedic or a criminal lawyer, there's little anyone can do.