Why don't these people just buy a Mac?


BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
1,020
0
I am playing with the idea of doing that to my PC just to see what its like...
 

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
32,194
6
Adelaide, Australia
It's certainly worth a try. I lasted about an hour with mine. Make sure you get a good one though because they have a habit of wrecking some of the system files. I recommend Flyakite. :)
 

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
1,729
1,101
Salt Lake
They really should just by a mac...

All they are doing is putting a cheap mask on there computer... not the real "Mac Experience"...

Although it beats the ol' PCEE thing...
 

Guitarius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2004
599
0
Louisiana
Kinda reminds me of the begining of Up in Smoke when Tommy Chong pulls out of the garage and you see the Rolls Royce grill, then he turns and you see its a beat up VW Beetle.
 

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
1,020
0
mcarnes said:
Hmmm... wonder if I could run it on my Mac using Virtual PC. :p

I've been wondering this for a while, does virtual PC actually work well? What are its limitations?
 

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
14,888
2,480
St. Louis, MO
Josh said:
Hmmm...

Maybe I should make my Tiger install look like Win98 SE....

I keeed...I keeed :p

That would be like buying a new Ferrari and leaving it parked under a tree for birds to crap on :D
 

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
3,969
3
I had my Thinkpad themed for OSX, briefly, for about 5 days.

I decided it just wasn't worth it, since once you get past the skin, it's all Windows underneath. Control Panel != System Preferences. It was also fairly easy to screw things up (not severely though, easy enough to fix) by dragging the wrong icon (i.e. removing the icon) from the docking bar to the desktop.

I did like the drop shadow on the windows though, and kept that.
 

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
1,996
0
plinden said:
I had my Thinkpad themed for OSX, briefly, for about 5 days.
My friend's Thinkpad actually runs OSX :D Before that, it was about as Maclike as he could possibly get it :p The only reason he got a Thinkpad instead of an iBook was because of the upcoming switch - he was gonna wait till Rev B or C of the Mactels
 

XNine

macrumors 68040
They don't buy macs because:

A. They prefer Windows (yeah, like that's possible)
B. They're idiots
C. They like buying cheap Dells that are worthless after 1 year.
D. God hates them.

I'm going with hidden answer E. All of the above. :p
 

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
3,070
3
Calgary, AB
Macs cost money! Some people have food & rent and stuff to buy first and thus they are stuck using the computers at their disposal.
I mean yeah they'd probably love a mac, but even $500 for a mini might be 2 weeks salary for all you know.
 

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
1,020
0
dornoforpyros said:
Macs cost money! Some people have food & rent and stuff to buy first and thus they are stuck using the computers at their disposal.
I mean yeah they'd probably love a mac, but even $500 for a mini might be 2 weeks salary for all you know.

oh, no, I know. $500 is more than 2 weeks salary for me, I don't even have a steady job! I'm a broke college student, I know allll about macs costing money!
 

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
1,344
419
dornoforpyros said:
Macs cost money! Some people have food & rent and stuff to buy first and thus they are stuck using the computers at their disposal.
I mean yeah they'd probably love a mac, but even $500 for a mini might be 2 weeks salary for all you know.
But think of all the money you could earn during the time saved from not having to deal with Windows.

That was a joke, but I honestly don't think price is an issue anymore if you are interested in a real computer. Frankly, unless you are seriously broke and need a word processor, PC's under $500 are a waste of money. Whats the usable life span on something like that? Surely a $500 mini will last more than twice as long as a $250 PC. Even if you are broke, get a used/refurb mac. Still better. Do college students buy new cars for $2000? No, not a smart move, you get a used car for $2000.
 

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
3,070
3
Calgary, AB
BiikeMike said:
oh, no, I know. $500 is more than 2 weeks salary for me, I don't even have a steady job! I'm a broke college student, I know allll about macs costing money!
hence my response to your question of "why don't these people just buy macs" :p
 

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
4,400
3
mad jew said:
It's certainly worth a try. I lasted about an hour with mine. Make sure you get a good one though because they have a habit of wrecking some of the system files. I recommend Flyakite. :)
I've been tempted to try flyakite...is it free though? I certainly don't want to buy anything!
 

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
3,225
0
somewhere between here and there.
dornoforpyros said:
hence my response to your question of "why don't these people just buy macs" :p
Since either they or they family members are used to using Windows and fear to learn something new, in the event they break something that cost a decent sum. :)

That is the answer to the "why" question. ;) :)


note: response taken from several friends of mine who use windows.
 

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
748
0
RI -> CA -> ME
work computers

some of us have crappy windoze systems we have to use for work, BUT we can at least modify them so they look like our happy Apple computers.

That's why. :D
 

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
2,756
0
Melbourne, Australia
Onizuka said:
They don't buy macs because:

A. They prefer Windows (yeah, like that's possible)
B. They're idiots
C. They like buying cheap Dells that are worthless after 1 year.
D. God hates them.

I'm going with hidden answer E. All of the above. :p
F: They have Windows software they need to run? :rolleyes:
 

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
32,194
6
Adelaide, Australia
ITASOR said:
I've been tempted to try flyakite...is it free though? I certainly don't want to buy anything!

When I tried it I didn't have to pay anything but that was before the massive site overhaul. By the looks of the link, it still relies on donations.