Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhb1899

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2005
Jay42 said:
But think of all the money you could earn during the time saved from not having to deal with Windows.

That was a joke, but I honestly don't think price is an issue anymore if you are interested in a real computer. Frankly, unless you are seriously broke and need a word processor, PC's under $500 are a waste of money. Whats the usable life span on something like that? Surely a $500 mini will last more than twice as long as a $250 PC. Even if you are broke, get a used/refurb mac. Still better. Do college students buy new cars for $2000? No, not a smart move, you get a used car for $2000.

Thank you! I totally agree. I'm a student, and no, I don't have a lot of money. But I saved up for a while (which was damn difficult, I'll tell you now) and I got my IBook a few months back, which was the best purchase I've made in a while. A LOT of friends and relatives told me not to do it (to switch to mac, I mean). They came up with all sorts of excuses, like, "It's too expensive" or "you can't do as much with a mac as you think." Etc...The typical PC-user excuses. Not that I have much wrong with PCs...they're just not practical for me...
But, I happily bought my IBook anyway, and it was worth the price, knowing that it will easily last me AT LEAST 3 years like I want it to. Most laptops are simply obsolete after 2 years or so. At least, that was the luck I had.
I understand the "think poor-buy cheap" mentality. But you know what? Some things you just CAN'T scrimp on, especially important mini-investments like a computer.

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
Haha, this month's issue of my bro's PC mag is currently open at an article of "how to make XP look like a Mac" (he still has a Windows partition, but only for the weird stuff that uses custom APIs) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.