Why everyone thinks iOS 9 will make things better?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sanke1, Feb 27, 2015.

1. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

I think it's just a rumor. If Apple fixes things and speeds up UI transitions to 60 fps on all devices, there will be lesser incentive for many to upgrade to newer model of iPhone.

My prediction is that all current lags and stutters will remain unchanged in iOS 9 but Apple will make double, triple sure that it does not show performance problems on iPhone 6S. I also expect all A6 devices artifically brought to a crawl with iOS 9.

That's it. Ultimately it's money above anything else.

2. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I think they've realised that people aren't going to keep buying their devices if Apple cripples them. There are many many unhappy people with iOS 8.

People will still upgrade. It won't change that. It would probably convince more lower end customers to buy low end iPhones rather than other phones , if they can get some sort of long term support to justify the high prices Apple charges.

3. BillyMatt87 macrumors 6502a

Personally I am not begging for a snow leopard-esq update that most users here seem to really, really want.

I'm all for a polished os but if that all iOS 9 is, then it would be boring.

I don't think we need a huge slew of new features but the ones that come to mind for me are:

UI refresh: the iOS 7 design is starting to look stale and a moderate design refinement taking cues from Yosemite would be greatly welcomed. I seriously hope they don't pull a Forstall and let the current UI stagnate for the next few iterations.

Music app: great app from iOS 1-6, turned to **** in 7/8, hopefully the beats integration will restore this stock app back to its former glory.

4. Imory, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015

Imory macrumors 6502a

Because Apple has a reputation and customers can easily turn their backs on a company if they don't deliver. Apple won't get away with this twice. In fact, I'd argue that the professional/none-casual users have already been vocal and it has spread. A small example would be Marco Arments comments on iOS 8 and iOS in general, which spread pretty quickly.

Then you have the whole iOS 8 "bricked phones" issue which caused a lot of negative buzz. Not to mention how iOS 8 took up a lot of space. These issues might not be related to the performance issues we notice, but this will inevitable make media give iOS 8 a bad rep, which in turn will hopefully make Apple realise that iOS 8 has been awful for a lot of different reasons.

The criticism towards iOS 8 has gained traction and the notion of iOS being that smooth experience that "simply works" is starting to get questioned more than ever.

5. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Doing a bug fix/ peformance fix release doesn't mean no new features at all - it just means that there are less, with a focus on fixing issues. If they fix the core OS, then 9.1, 9.2 and 9.3 can add new features, like in iOS 4 with 4.1,4.2 and 4.3.

6. technosix macrumors 6502a

Apple's very unpredictable as of late. Personally I think it's a wait and see proposition. iOS 9 could be an excellent OS.

Or conversely it might also be pushed out with bugs like iOS 8, just not quite so bad. Apple tends to deliver what the customer will tolerate nothing better. A choice that nets them maximum profit by spending a bare minimum of time testing it.

Apple customers are exceptionally tolerant having bought into Apple's hype and wanting to be aligned with the fantasy Apple promotes. I give Apple credit for keeping the buzz alive and no longer being judged solely on performance. Just the logo alone gives them a pass to do things, or not to as the case may be, that other companies can't get away with.

Where once years ago I could buy any Apple product and be assured "it would just work" that's only partially true presently. Being the massive highly worshipped juggernaut Apple is today, they put out the product with incredible hype, it sells in massive quantities and the rest of the story is of little consequence.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Where are the many unhappy about iOS 8 ? On forums like this ?

9. zone23 macrumors 68000

I don't think Apple is purposely slowing down devices they are just showing their age. Its like windows on computers if you want the latest UI stuff you need better graphics. Its evolution not sticking it too ya. Also with 2 year upgrade cycles most people will be running at the minimum iPhone 5 hardware.

10. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Nice thing about conspiracy theories is that connection to reality is not one of the system requirements.

Think this through. If Apple "artifically [sp]" brought "all A6 devices" to a crawl, do those customers automatically buy another Apple device? And how many people who end up with slower running devices buy another device to begin with, as opposed to just staying with their current device and/or waiting for their contract or upgrade plan to come up?

----------

And also, app updates have a tendency to increase the load on the processor as they add features and more of the user base moves over to newer devices and iOS versions.

11. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Yeah, it's weird. My missus never complains about her iPad and iPhone, both on iOS 8. I don't know whether I just like a good whinge or push my devices more than she does using more advanced features like third party keyboards. Realistically it's probably a combination of the two.

12. XTheLancerX, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015

XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I hope iOS 9 is 80-90% bug fixes and performance improvements. Make the UI perform smoothly again, fix the quirks like copy and paste being broken, battery percentage skipping 30% and 60%, etc, etc, etc.

10-20% new features, useful things. Dark mode. Preferences pertaining to where to have translucency, where not to have it, open up quick reply API to third parties, split screen multitasking on iPad, make the iPad more distinctive from iPhone, but KEEP IT SMOOTH.

And on top of that a more refined UI, or a little refresh like how iOS 6 changed the settings icon, made little changes to the way headers look and the status bar inside of apps, just made things look more pretty, less stale, yet not affect performance. Maybe they could even improve performance by doing this. Like taking the translucency out of places where people would never even notice it. Any little thing like that can help. They need to pay attention to detail again.

I don't know if I'm asking for too much but I just don't want my devices stuttering so much in terms of UI performance. My 1 year old iPad mini 2 feels 2 or 3 years old, and there's been UI stuttering from the beginning (CC, NC, Siri, etc + keyboard or lock screen has always stuttered)

There's even stuttering on occasion on my iPhone 6, the newest iOS device there is. I remember I was jealous of my friend's iPad 3 back when it had iOS 6, it was a year old. Everything ran perfectly. The iPad 2 was 2 years old and it ran iOS 6 perfectly as well. Mini 1 was perfect, iPod 5 was perfect, iPhone 4S was perfect... They were on dated hardware. Felt almost impossible to slow down those things. Only time I remember UI stutter was when closing an intensive game out of nowhere, the exit animation dropped frames, depending on the situation. But that was understandable. Now, I can instantly think of anything to slow down any iOS 8 device to date. Things like this bug me, when using the pinch to close gesture on iPad, there's stutter as you are closing an app if the keyboard is open. If there's no keyboard, it's fine. Usually. Why? This makes no sense. Control Center and Notification Center stutter on iPad just because the keyboard is open as well. Why?? I'm sick of seeing this lag related to the keyboard. Everything is twice as bad with a split keyboard.

Maybe I'm only remembering the good things of iOS 6, but as far as I'm concerned, 99% of it was 60FPS. On a 1 year old device. I really want that great performance back, it's one of the only things I miss about iOS 6. I think many people agree, and that's why people are hoping iOS 9 fixes everything.

13. technosix macrumors 6502a

Actually now that iPhones are everywhere, their are a lot of owners that barely use most of the features. Partially because they're not tech savvy, partially because they have no use for a smartphone but want to own the cool phone like their kids or friends.

I've been noticing this phenomenon a lot lately when I'm at the Apple store. People that don't even have a computer are talking to sales reps about their phones, asking questions so basic it's obvious they're lost.

These people just don't know any better, the brand power Apple has combined with their fear of looking stupid prevents the greater majority from complaining.

Besides even if they did it wouldn't matter. As long as they're selling in vast numbers Apple has no reason to improve. This is the danger of weak competition. Apple operates with no consequences.

Just look at how Apple stonewalled the customers with known defective video subsystems in MBP'S. It took lots of pressure and threats to get Apple to respond and they slow walked those customers for years. Only recently did Apple decide to take responsibility and help the customers that trusted them.

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Apple is definitely influenced by competition:

When phones with large screens started popping up all over the place Apple did their "it fits in your hand, your thumbs can reach both corners comfortably" song and dance in defending their 3.5" iPhone.

A few years later and here I am holding a 5.5" iPhone that's not comfortable to hold with one hand and my thumbs definitely don't reach the corners. Don't get me wrong I love my iPhone but It wouldn't be where it is if it wasn't for competition.

Same applies to iOS. People were tired of the "old, stale" look and feel of iOS. Apple rushed iOS 7 half-baked out the door to try and retain customers.

15. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It's not only competition. Time's changes. In 2007 the usage of a typical smartphone was different than today, especially regarding mobile browsing and content fruition.

16. BigInDallas macrumors regular

BigInDallas

I agree with your premise, but how would the UI affect the use of the phone?

Sorry I was off topic. But my point is valid, people say a change was necessary because phone usage has
    changed. Apple could have added features without changing the UI. No one can deny iOS 8 has been Apples
    worst iOS in awhile. Way to many glitches. Im not saying they cant update it to be much better, but Apple dropped the ball a little.

17. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

No one? I firmly deny that! In my opinion iOS 8 is the best iOS ever. IOS 8 is what iOS 7 should have been since the beginning.
    It's not perfect. It does have glitches. But it still is the best iOS so far, with a lot of new functions and improvements compared to previous versions.
    Do you know why they changed the UI ? Because they changed people in charge for it, Scott Forestall first.
    And I'm glad about that, because I wasn't an huge fan of skeuomorphism.

18. lovewd macrumors 6502

lovewd

If Apple can't get it together with 9, I'm getting the Galaxy S6. I'd rather have no software updates at all than ones that purposely cripple my device

19. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Yes, because Lagwiz is so much better.... :rolleyes:

20. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Please go buy the S6. At least you can complain on Android forums about that phone instead of here.

I'll even get you started on a few topics to post there:

"So mad, Samsung removed the SD card slot on my S6 forcing me to buy the middle storage option which was $100 more!"

"Thanks to Samsung I have to charge my S6 more often because the battery is no longer removable"

"Why is Touchwiz so inconsistent? It has flat design in some areas and skeumorphic in others".

<year passes by>

"Why won't Samsung update my phone to Android M? My friend's Nexus 7 got the update"

21. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Oh, we're still playing that whole "Apple intentionally slows older devices down" game. Gotcha.

Why do people seriously think any company would do that? It's not in Apple, Microsoft, Google, or anybody's best interest to have slow software. You kill people's desire to use your software, and you also kill their desire to buy more hardware from you.

With the exception of iOS 8 being sloppy on even new devices, every previous version of iOS has added new features that make the OS bigger, therefore making older hardware work harder to get the job done. Apple isn't going to bend over backwards to keep the oldest supported devices running like they did out of the box, because that would take resources away from moving the platform forward.

22. RebornProphet Suspended

That would be true except for devices only 12 months old show signs of stutter or lag on iOS 8. Abysmal release, performance wise ... regardless of the great features added.

23. El Tuga, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015

El Tuga macrumors member

Nope. Apple rushed iOS 7 out because Jony Ive felt he needed to make a statement, after ensuring that Forstall was fired. If you remember, iOS 6 was considered far superior to android back then. Not anymore...:(

Due to the lack of care that was put into iOS 7/8 design, and some improvements on the android side ("material design") the iOS advantage over android is currently debatable...

24. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Can't exactly get much worse at the moment can it? iOS 9 must improve things otherwise people really will begin to wise up to Apple's planned obsolescence.

25. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

People will just keep buying iPhones. the only "wising" up you may see is a handful of people going to Android only to realize the grass isn't greener on the other side.