Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Derekeys

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
why, on previous iPhones, if you turn off passcode and touchID then raise to wake... it doesn't go straight to home screen / automatically open?

(rhetorical)

I don't understand the question. Are you implying because on previous iPhones it required an action to go to home screen (without passcode / touch ID) that means that on the iPhone X the FaceID shouldn't do it automatically?

The whole reason I'm excited for the X is because now it's the best of all the worlds, security combined with only having to wake the phone and look at it. As opposed to waking the phone and touching it (swiping it).

Regardless of what has happened in the past, the point is there is now an option to have the following occur every time I pick up the X:

Wake > look > home screen.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Well you have to pick up your phone or tap to wake it, that could be the physical intervention you mention. I don't know if Apple will ever implement, but I think they should for those that want it.
I'll let you know Friday, but I am fairly certain there are scenarios where I want my phone to remain locked and it can unlock without me touching due to FID. (car holder. vertical wireless charger, in a meeting on the table and I lean over it).
[doublepost=1509567486][/doublepost]
This isn't true. Apple provides the ability to turn off all security by disabling the passcode. That is an option. So I think this option should exist (however less secure than your scenario, which I agree would be less secure).
But you still have to make a physical choice to wake it up.

Derekeys

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I'll let you know Friday, but I am fairly certain there are scenarios where I want my phone to remain locked and it can unlock without me touching due to FID. (car holder. vertical wireless charger, in a meeting on the table and I lean over it).

Right... that was my point. The physical choice is the waking up part... I think we're arguing the same thing. To be clear I want wake > look > home screen.

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Duh. But my question is - if I check my notifications, and Face ID authenticates, and I decide I want to put my phone back down on the table/in my pocket/whatever, does it lock back? I haven't seen this anywhere, but I just now thought of it.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Right... that was my point. The physical choice is the waking up part... I think we're arguing the same thing. To be clear I want wake > look > home screen.
Maybe maybe not? I don't consider looking at the screen/unlock to be a physical choice 100% of the time. All good though, we will all have the chance to see how things work Friday!

Derekeys

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Duh. But my question is - if I check my notifications, and Face ID authenticates, and I decide I want to put my phone back down on the table/in my pocket/whatever, does it lock back? I haven't seen this anywhere, but I just now thought of it.
I'm betting it locks if the home screen isn't accessed for a set amount of time. Good question! I hadn't thought of that!

Reactions: stanman64

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA

I’ll be finding out for myself Friday :) but yea it’ll be interesting to see how it all works. Lots of unknowns for the masses.

BFG86

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
I think they need to add it as an option. a lot of people are saying the same thing.

I don't use the notification screen. don't need to see it.

should be an accessibility option just like rest finger to go home

Reactions: Derekeys

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I wouldn’t want the phone to unlock until I took some kind of action

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Completely agree, here.
When your phone unlocks it should immediately take you to your last place without an additional upward swipe. Seems silly to have to do so and it’s an extra, unneeded step.
Could this be addresses in the software?

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002

Settings>Display and Brightness>Auto Lock

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.