Why has Google no released a stand alone Maps application for iOS6?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by MaxPower49, Sep 20, 2012.

1. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

Google knew this was coming with iOS6. They released a stand alone youtube application in preparation. Why did they not do the same with Maps? In theory, they could just release the exact same application that was baked into iOS5 to the app store. Google has declined comment, but said they want Google Maps to be available for everyone.

This is complete speculation, but it makes me think Apple doesn't want Google's Maps applications on iPhones. Or at least not right now. Maybe Google has agreed to give people a chance to get used to Apple's Maps before re-releasing their application? Something is going on here. It is a pretty strange move for Apple to take such a step back with Maps when that is one of the most used applications on many iPhones (it is on mine at least).

2. NeilSpoon macrumors member

Google would much prefer you to buy an Android phone.

3. Andy-V macrumors 6502

Google knows that supporting iOS and getting a slice of the action there is more important than trying to get people to buy android phones just for the maps. Same reason Microsoft put Office on mac, same reason Google has a whole bunch of apps for iPhone already.

It's likely we'll get a Google maps app, the question is how long we have to wait.

4. Numenorean7 macrumors newbie

They want Apple customers to feel the pain of using a bad maps app.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Why should they be in a big hurry. Apple decided to drop them after their agreement ended and Apple went into the "map business." I wouldn't be surprised if Google is going to let all the bad press for Apple Maps in iOS6 linger for awhile and then swoop in and "save the day."

In the meantime, they get to "enjoy" all the chatter about the fail. I would imagine that's worth 1-2 months of potential ad revenue or whatever they might make from offering a Maps app...

6. MaxPower49 thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. ajones46 macrumors 6502

Definitely keeping fingers crossed for a standalone google maps app.

8. charliecc macrumors regular

Even if they do produce one, I think Apple wouldn't approve it. It would be major egg of their face.

9. luigi408 macrumors 6502

I would pay $$$ for Google Maps standalone app. Specially if its like the Android one. So disappointed with Apple maps. I'm sure Google would make millions if it sold it on the Apps Store.

10. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

I'd pay another $10 on top of that if apple would let me change the default maps application to google maps.

Any chance the jailbreak community could take maps from ios 5 and merge it with ios 6?

11. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

I honestly don't know if they have any good reasons to release an app. I suspect they won't release an app and just tell people to use Android and their native application.

12. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

Google are probably too busy currently pissing themselves with laughter to develop an iOS Maps app.

13. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

I actually think there's a pretty good chance of this--would be considerably easier than porting Siri to iPhone 4.

14. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Ditto.

15. ajones46 macrumors 6502

I think I remember Steve at a keynote saying that they wouldn't enter the search engine market because they wouldn't be able to compete well in it, that you have to be better at something - or something along those lines, help me someone - but they did exactly that with the Maps app. I really have a hard time believing apple was so premature releasing this.

16. King Bowser macrumors regular

I can imagine the reports .. " Google releases new Maps app for iOS 6 , world record for most downloads in a single hour".

17. SuperRob macrumors regular

The only way I'd pay for a Google Maps app is if it included turn-by-turn like the built-in app does. They need to have feature parity.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Prediction:

In 5 years, maps will be great. And everyone will "magically" forget the "beta years"

Just like people seem to forget how little iOS 1.0 was actually capable of.

19. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

How horrible would that be, I really don't see apple allowing a bunch of google apps in the top 10 downloads section.

I actually wouldn't mind apple making hardware for other peoples software, give me a windows keyboard on the MBP, and I'd be happy, and let me install windows phone 8 or android on the iphone. haha.

20. walie macrumors 6502a

I guess you missed it when Chrome and Drive were #1 and #2 in free downloads section

21. King Bowser macrumors regular

I think Youtube is #1 right now..

22. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

As has been said, the question is not why has Google not released but rather why has Apple released it since Google has submitted it?

23. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/09/...an-ios-6-maps-app-and-apple-is-sitting-on-it/

24. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

25. Shrek1970 macrumors member

question for you guys, if you use the maps.google.com via safari can u only get map view. I can't find a toggle to switch between satellite, map, hybrid etc like you used to able to on the ios5 map app.