Why has no one copied Sony?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scaramoosh, Oct 15, 2017.

1. scaramoosh macrumors 6502a

main-qimg-3a776dae6125dc83971da99dbe5dff20-c

Finger Print sensor on the power button, in a perfect position that isn't on the front or back and it's pretty seamless and hidden. Instead Apple want to move to Face Id... which having used facial recognition in the past, it's not more convenient as you have to be looking at your phone to unlock.

I'm interested because Sony aways lack it in the US, does someone hold the rights to it in the US and nowhere else, that's why no one is doing it?

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I’d say wait and see for yourself how Apple have implemented it. They seem confident it’s a better user experience than Touch ID.

I’m still not on board with the idea that “you have to look at the phone to unlock it” is bad.

You have to look at your phone to use it. You get an unlock for free.

3. KrisLord macrumors 65832

I’d be interested to know how secure the Sony version is, given the reduced area of your finger it’s scanning.

4. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68040

Ulenspiegel

It is a very good idea, but I have the same question as KrisLord.

5. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

Apple probably doesn't even know Sony is still losing lots of money trying to sell phones.

6. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Because people keep on spouting off that FaceID is less convenient, i have to keep saying: you have to look at the phone to use it.

Facial recognition you used in the past isn't the same as FaceID.

I used fingerprint readers for years before TouchID and didn't think TouchID was going to work well because of how bad the fingerprint readers I used were.

Apple made it work. Apple will make facial recognition work.

And I never understood how a slim button like a power button on he side could take a good fingerprint.

7. inscrewtable macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

Two errors in this post, 1. you are comparing proper 3D scanning with secret sauce algorithms, with some dorky process that can be fooled with a photo. 2. You have no idea how this completely different concept will work, but you do know for sure it won't be anything like what you think based on what you've seen elsewhere.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Sony doesn't rely 70% of their net revenue either selling phones like Apple does. Sony's industry primary certainly isn't phones and they know this. Sony has so many other avenues for revenue, that a phone isn't a major priority to them and nor will it be.

9. Diorama macrumors 6502a

Secret ingredient....applesauce?

10. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

This seems now to be a common comment on FaceID.

While true enough, it's not exactly black or white.

I used an example in another thread so I will use it here. TouchID is useful for a lot of people because you can be doing one thing and then touch the phone sitting away from you and it unlocks while you are busy doing something else (and not looking at the phone). When you're ready to get to the phone it's already unlocked.

If this is a common thing for you then FaceID might be a little frustrating because it means having to wait to unlock your phone until you are actually ready to look at it.

But it will do that quickly someone may say. True enough, but if you are preoccupied looking at something else and NOT looking at your phone then it's not going to unlock until you look at it. And that may be annoying because it requires your attention.

An alternative might be to look at it, it unlocks and then go back to your business, but it still requires you to face the phone.

In short, TouchID doesn't require all of your attention. FaceID does, even if it's at an angle and even if it's just a brief glance.

11. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

But to use an unlocked phone, it also requires your attention. So kinda a moot point.

12. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Yes, but the difference is that you can unlock the phone with your finger while doing something else and not looking at your device.

With FaceID you either have to look at the phone to unlock it, then go back to what you were doing and return to the unlocked phone later when ready, or wait until you are ready to give your fuill attention to it.

The difference is minimal, but there. Not moot.

13. Diorama macrumors 6502a

This is true with a button, but would not be true if TouchID was behind the screen.

14. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

There’s literally no difference if you unlock 2 minutes prior or the exact moment you want to use the phone. It’s unlocked when you want to use the phone.

15. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Well, I know that if I had TouchID enabled and I wanted to unlock my phone but keep reading the email or webpage I am looking at I could do that.

With FaceID I'd have to look away from my monitor at the phone make sure it unlocks then go back to the screen.

If I used TouchID or FaceID at all this would irritate me with FaceID because it would require looking away from something I am engrossed in to unlock my phone. Or waiting until I was done.

That may not bother you but it probably does someone out there.

Since I don't use TouchID though it's really not applicable to me. I'm just putting it out there as one use case others might have an issue with regarding FaceID.

For the record I use a PIN and if I ever get a device with facial recognition I'd still use a PIN.

16. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

The sony is also a perfect position as well, unless you're left handed.

17. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

That scenario is such a small use case. Similar to how all of a sudden everyone unlocks their phone while it’s still in their pocket.

If someone is so engrossed in what where doing (looking at their computer monitor) then why would you unlock your phone at that moment?

Not trying to argue, just saying it’s not a typical scenario

18. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Oh I know. I was just presenting it as one use case. It's not a common thing.

But if I were a TouchID user I could see it as applying to me. Say I want to make a phone call. I have to unlock the phone. But I'm reviewing the email just sent to me from the person I want to call, so I unlock the phone with my finger while reading the email. By the time I'm done scanning it I know my phone is unlocked and I can go right in and call.

It's an edge case for sure, but I'm already aware of at least one person on this forum that functions this way.

19. the future macrumors 65816

Sorry, but if Sony had any idea how to beat Apple (or at least Samsung) in the smartphone market, they would immediately make that their #1 priority and would gladly rely on it for a high percentage of their net revenue, simply because mobile is the biggest market opportunity (in electronics) of all time. That‘s why Apple is the biggest company in the world right now and Sony is a shadow of its former self.

Btw, I really like Sony, as did Steve Jobs. But the only tech they are #1 in right now are camera sensors. Great mirrorless system cameras as well. But that‘s about it.

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I'm not sure why you are apologizing. Sony isn't a key player as much they used to be in the smart phone market. Should they? (Rhetorical) At least not in the US, As I stated before, they're spread so vastly across different products, they have revenue generated everywhere, as where is Apple is almost 70% of their net revenue is from the iPhone alone.

I think Sony is a great company and they make great product(s). But I truly don't believe their contribution is that of what the iPhone currently is and nor do they care to be a major contender in this segment.

21. the future macrumors 65816

Yeah, I just thought you made it sound like Sony deliberately does not have mobile/smartphones as a prority whereas in reality they just have nothing that would make them stand apart from the other android handset makers, let alone Apple.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Thanks for clarifying. And I don't disagree with your Post.

23. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Which metric are we using here in this statement.

By market share it's NOT Apple.

24. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

Sony's Mobile division is in profit according to the latest quarterly and annual results. The Xperia line is a very nice line of phones IMO.

25. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

just an opinion and not answering your original question but..
    upon initial glance, i think touchID on the back would be better than having it on a single side button.

(and in some instances, i also think touchID on the back would be better than where it's located on current iPhones)