Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should a Keynote attendee record audio from the Keynote and broadcast for us?

• Yes

Votes: 24 63.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters

mattpreston11

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
If nothing else twit.tv will have live coverage of the event that you can listen to. They monitor all the live blogs and give commentary, many times they'll rebroadcast pirated audio or video streams if they can find them.

Thanks for this, I'm driving for the duration of the keynote tonight, So I'll listen to this on my phone. Hopefully its decent.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
If nothing else twit.tv will have live coverage of the event that you can listen to. They monitor all the live blogs and give commentary, many times they'll rebroadcast pirated audio or video streams if they can find them.
Thanks for the info. Never heard of that site before.

----------

Not a chance. Firstly, there are people around you talking, then there are people typing loudly, people coughing, etc. Even with a good mic (far, far above the quality of the one on the MBP) that can be enough to mess everything up. Then you you have the problem of needing a small, undetectable mic, that has the performance of a large, professional one. That doesn't exist. Thirdly, on the likely chance you are eventually found out, you'll never be allowed back to Apple events.

So pretty much, it isn't realistically possible, and even if it was, it's not worth the risk.
  1. That's the same experience the person actually sitting there live will have. Isn't that good enough?
  2. Why does the mic have to be this professional super military grade mic? I've recorded lectures in college with much less and that turned out fine while this is an auditorium with pro sound
  3. How could somebody find you out if you conceal who is actually broadcasting the feed? Apple security is looking for cameras, not mics. Mics are hard to spot.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
1. That's the same experience the person actually sitting there live will have. Isn't that good enough?

Ears are a lot better than a mic. You can hear a more than a mic can properly pick up.

2. Why does the mic have to be this professional super military grade mic? I've recorded lectures in college with much less and that turned out fine while this is an auditorium with pro sound

I doubt your lectures are the same size as an Apple event. From my personal experience, it simply wouldnt be enough. Also, just a sidepoint, what good is the audio if you don't have the visuals? It might be cool, but you'd miss so much of the point of what they are saying.

3. How could somebody find you out if you conceal who is actually broadcasting the feed? Apple security is looking for cameras, not mics. Mics are hard to spot.

They might not catch you at the time, but they certainly will after the event, once news breaks that their event was streamed live.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Ears are a lot better than a mic. You can hear a more than a mic can properly pick up.
No, I'm talking about the coughing, typing, etc. Why are those negative factors when the people who are actually there experience those same background noises?

I doubt your lectures are the same size as an Apple event. From my personal experience, it simply wouldnt be enough. Also, just a sidepoint, what good is the audio if you don't have the visuals? It might be cool, but you'd miss so much of the point of what they are saying.
My lectures were held in auditoriums that were pretty big, and I used a cheap external mic on my laptop. It would be fine. You just have this weird idea that NOTHING will be heard well enough unless this super military grade spymic is used.

Some people can't sit and watch the visuals, as I said. They might be driving, or on the move in the city transit or perhaps at work but just aren't next to a computer. There's countless numbers of people out there that could benefit from an audio feed.

They might not catch you at the time, but they certainly will after the event, once news breaks that their event was streamed live.
Not if the stream isn't associated with anybody afterwards.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY

In person, people have the ability to filter out noises.

That's why if you go into a crowded room with everyone talking, it's still possible to have a conversation- even if the person you're talking to isn't directly next to you.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
In person, people have the ability to filter out noises.

That's why if you go into a crowded room with everyone talking, it's still possible to have a conversation- even if the person you're talking to isn't directly next to you.
You honestly think that if we got an audio feed from somebody in the audience, we wouldn't be able to make out what is being said from the chitchat around that person?

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
No, I'm talking about the coughing, typing, etc. Why are those negative factors when the people who are actually there experience those same background noises?

My lectures were held in auditoriums that were pretty big, and I used a cheap external mic on my laptop. It would be fine. You just have this weird idea that NOTHING will be heard well enough unless this super military grade spymic is used.

Some people can't sit and watch the visuals, as I said. They might be driving, or on the move in the city transit or perhaps at work but just aren't next to a computer. There's countless numbers of people out there that could benefit from an audio feed.

Not if the stream isn't associated with anybody afterwards.

cyks is right about the first part, seriously try it, it's not a joke.

As for the people who cant be at a computer, is it really a necessity to hear the event as it happens? Patience would benefit them too.

And yes, Apple will find out who it's from. How would you upload it anonymously? And If you didn't gain any reputation from it, why would they do it? It's A big risk for people to take for absolutely no payoff, as well as legal risk (Apple will sue, there's little doubt about that).

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
cyks is right about the first part, seriously try it, it's not a joke.
Yes I'm human, I'm aware of this.

As for the people who cant be at a computer, is it really a necessity to hear the event as it happens? Patience would benefit them too.
This is like the Super Bowl for Apple users. If you couldn't watch the Super Bowl live due to something else you have to do, wouldn't you turn on your car radio to hear it?

And yes, Apple will find out who it's from. How would you upload it anonymously? And If you didn't gain any reputation from it, why would they do it? It's A big risk for people to take for absolutely no payoff, as well as legal risk (Apple will sue, there's little doubt about that).
You'd put it through another service not affiliated with you and you do it for the fun of it rather than the pageviews. There's not a lot of risk here because a microphone is very difficult to detect. You don't need a giant broadcasting mic to capture the sound in an audience.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Yes I'm human, I'm aware of this.
Ok.

This is like the Super Bowl for Apple users. If you couldn't watch the Super Bowl live due to something else you have to do, wouldn't you turn on your car radio to hear it?
But with the superbowl, there are commentators telling you what's happening. At the Apple event's, there is a lot of visual stuff that isn't explained, and a lot that will be missed completely.

You'd put it through another service not affiliated with you and you do it for the fun of it rather than the pageviews. There's not a lot of risk here because a microphone is very difficult to detect. You don't need a giant broadcasting mic to capture the sound in an audience.
If you go there, chances are you're there for business, not pleasure. Already that gives you incentive to not do this. Sure, there might be a lone soul who would go for giggles, but I doubt they'd care enough to share it, as is proved by the fact that it hasn't happened yet.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY

Maybe if it were before the 1980's... anything after that and I'd find a way to record it and watch it properly and at my own leisure.

If I absolutely had to turn it on, sure... but you're not listening to the game - you're listening to commentators discussing it. Hearing Cook say, "see how ...." doesn't do much good for the listening audience.

The iPhone is a visual device. I'd much rather a feed of only video than one of audio.... but, if forced with only those options I'd rather read or wait for the official feed.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
But with the superbowl, there are commentators telling you what's happening. At the Apple event's, there is a lot of visual stuff that isn't explained, and a lot that will be missed completely.
It's still better than nothing. A lot of people will appreciate the live coverage via audio. I'm telling you. There's no reason not to want this as an option unless you yourself are Apple security.

Also, audio would be the perfect compliment to a liveblog. You'd hear what is being said live and bam, get the pictures right after, instead of looking to read what a blogger misquotes sometimes.

If you go there, chances are you're there for business, not pleasure. Already that gives you incentive to not do this. Sure, there might be a lone soul who would go for giggles, but I doubt they'd care enough to share it, as is proved by the fact that it hasn't happened yet.
Yes it has. There's been video feeds where somebody is broadcasting live from a hidden camera and they get caught and kicked out.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
It's still better than nothing. A lot of people will appreciate the live coverage via audio. I'm telling you. There's no reason not to want this as an option unless you yourself are Apple security.

Also, audio would be the perfect compliment to a liveblog. You'd hear what is being said live and bam, get the pictures right after, instead of looking to read what a blogger misquotes sometimes.

Yes it has. There's been video feeds where somebody is broadcasting live from a hidden camera and they get caught and kicked out.

We're just going back and forth now. My point is, there are plenty of reasons it won't happen. I'm not saying it shouldn't, I'm just pointing out why it won't.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
We're just going back and forth now. My point is, there are plenty of reasons it won't happen. I'm not saying it shouldn't, I'm just pointing out why it won't.
Great. Understood. We all know the risks and the logistics of it. This thread is just about seeing if people would like this and an appeal to whoever does a pirate feed to just stick to audio and give us something rather than a video that get stopped a quarter of the way because an Apple goon grabbed their camera and kicked them out.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
[/COLOR]
What's even more surprising is the number of people who truly HATE choice and would say no to the option of there being an audio feed, effectively ruining what fun somebody could have if they needed such a feed.

I don't hate choice. I hate unneccessary polls.

You seem to be confusing the existence/outcome of a poll on Macrumors with events in real life. Do we need streaming audio for keynotes? Sure, why not. Do we need a poll on Macrumors to determine what a handful of people think about it? No.

By your logic, if I post a poll about whether I might win Lotto, I will win if I get enough yes votes. When you figure how to make that happen, please let me know. Until then, maybe restrict your polls to things that have some (interesting) debateable basis, and wiseass commenters like me won't bug you with "a poll? really?"

Last edited:

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
A live video feed would be good – anything less is no better than reading a liveblog.
Reading liveblogs requires too much attention. I prefer TWiT coverage running in the background but today Ill be on the road so an audio stream would be perfect. (Does TWiT do an audiostream over the iPhone? I prefer commentary with the stream because based on how hyper the "unbiased media" gets then you need someone outside of the RDF to reinterpret all the clapping into a realistic explanation. )

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Reading liveblogs requires too much attention. I usually have TWiT coverage running in the background but today Ill be on the road so an audio stream would be perfect. (Does TWiT do an audiostream over the iPhone?)

Yeah, I listen to the TWiT podcasts and will be an hour in realizing I tuned them out 30 minutes ago. Doh!

Liveblogs are better for that reason.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth

THIS! I love Leo and the gang! Been watching him since Tech TV.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Reading liveblogs requires too much attention. I prefer TWiT coverage running in the background but today Ill be on the road so an audio stream would be perfect. (Does TWiT do an audiostream over the iPhone? I prefer commentary with the stream because based on how hyper the "unbiased media" gets then you need someone outside of the RDF to reinterpret all the clapping into a realistic explanation. )

Yeah, the TWIT app that defaults to audio, so that should be good for you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.