Home Why hasn't Apple developed an "Echo" type device??

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by marc55, Dec 15, 2016.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

What the heck is up with Apple lately?

Amazon beat them with Echo, Microsoft,is teaming up with Harman Kardon, and then there's Google Home.

I don't know what Apple is doing, but they sure missed the boat on this one. Apple is a technology innovator, but yet, Amazon beat them on this one.

Come on Apple!!
    m

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It's kind of hard to "beat" someone to something when you don't know why that something is a requirement to compete with in the first place.

Apple was beaten to the punch on toasters by Sunbeam as well, a shame really.

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Siri is just not ready for it. Apple is trying to make her skinny first.

4. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

It's called innovation, something Apple was great at, but it seems they have lost some focus.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Focus now means running a "me too" product every time a competitor makes one that has nothing to do with your product categories?

Frankly, I find the echo-type products to be a smart move from Amazon, essentially tying your house into the Amazon purchasing ecosystem. As someone who rarely buys things however I see it as nothing other than an extension of runaway consumerism.

6. rhett7660, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016

rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I wouldn't be surprised if we see something from them in the very near future.

I don't know how you can beat someone at something that was nothing prior to them developing it. I mean the same could be said about Amazon beating google and microsoft with the Echo. No? Just because they are "going" to release something in the future (Microsoft) or have released something recently (Google), does that still mean they are beating them?

I would am curious at what has Apple released that hasn't already been released? There were phones, there were ipods prior to them releasing them.

7. JKCarter macrumors newbie

JKCarter

Just a comment on the home automation aspect of voice assistance. I bought an Echo Dot to use with some smart home devices that work with HomeKit and Alexa both. I also have "Hey Siri" active on my phone and since I have the phone with me most of the time, I find I use Siri to control these devices more than the Echo.
    I bought a 2nd dot for the bedroom which is still in the box because that's where the phone charges and Siri is always listening. Could be Apple reasons your phone and Siri is a voice assistant.

8. biosci macrumors 6502a

I feel Apple already pretty much had that covered with near-field devices... Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad with 'Hey Siri'. Plus, Siri is trying to be the privacy queen by only being able to recognize the individuals voice vs other voices. You wouldn't want your wife saying, hey Alexa, read me my appoints for today only to find out your schedule included meeting an old acquainted she didn't approve of right? ;) just a thought. But if anything, maybe if they DID do something, it would be lined up with the AppleTV maybe or a future speaker like the beats pill. Who knows.

9. robwithtoast macrumors regular

robwithtoast

10. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

No kidding.

Or how about a mesh wifi system release contemporaneous with the others, which they certainly couldn't have been caught off guard by?

The Apple name alone would've still dominated market share.

11. jmomls macrumors newbie

jmomls

If I have an iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Mac--ALLLLLLL with Siri, why the blue blazes would I need an Echo?

12. robwithtoast macrumors regular

robwithtoast

The compatibility just isn't there.

13. jmomls macrumors newbie

jmomls

Compatibility with what?

I see the silly commercials and I'm thinking "Siri can't tell me what a whale sounds like or pause my music?"

EDIT: I'm conflating two silly commercials. One is for some Google device, the other is Alexa.

14. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Echo is a music speaker that is tightly integrated into the popular Amazon ecosystem, which none of those other things are.

15. robwithtoast macrumors regular

robwithtoast

You have a wide library of products that work with Alexa voice commands. Siri just doesn't have much to work with. Yes you can use the apps the come with the products but it's not the same. I think once apple releases the "echo" type product HomeKit will develop and catch up pretty quick. Basically with Alexa you can control everything from one item. HomeKit will eventually be this way.

16. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Apple clearly dropped the ball on this. We need to accept the fact that Alexa is the iPhone of assistants.

To make things worse for Apple, Amazon appears to be making Alexa more than just an Amazon Echo, but an AI solution that can be installed across multiple devices and services. When Alexa support comes to Sonos, I'll be hard pressed not to buy an echo.

17. robwithtoast macrumors regular

robwithtoast

I personally want one. I can't decide if I want to wait for apple to come out with the competition or buy the echo.

18. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The concern if you're Apple is that Amazon has beaten Apple to the punch when it comes to a closed eco system with a working SDK. They are parked right in the middle of Apple's typical wheelhouse.

19. robwithtoast macrumors regular

robwithtoast

Are you planning on an echo? Or are you waiting to see if they'll come out with a bang?

20. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I'm actually holding out on the whole field. When everyone has a device, we'll see what happens. Echo is going to start supporting Sonos, which is certainly tantalizing.

21. robwithtoast macrumors regular

robwithtoast

Yeah I definitely want to get some smart switches, thermostat, etc. I'm still waiting on the whole voice system. I really want to see what Apple will offer. That's if they are still working on the device.

22. Philsy macrumors 6502a

I like the idea of an Echo-like device in my kitchen but wouldn't want a non-Apple device because it wouldn't be compatible with my current calendars, reminders, music etc etc - everything I currently use Siri for.

So, I had an idea. I have a spare iPhone 6 which I could keep in a dock in my kitchen. All that I would need is a more sensitive microphone so it would hear 'Hey Siri' requests from across the room - I've checked, it won't do this with the built-in mike.

Does anyone know if such a microphone is available to do this, and has anyone else tried using a iPhone or iPad in this way?

Cheers

Phil

23. robwithtoast macrumors regular

robwithtoast

In my opinion siri Just isn't ready. You have very few options as far as saying Siri do this and that. Not many devices work with Siri.

24. Philsy macrumors 6502a

Siri does all I want of it when I'm in the kitchen - control music, convert weights, add to shopping list, check appointments. I just need a hands-free option.

25. robwithtoast macrumors regular

robwithtoast

I know of nothing at the moment. Although if you had an Apple Watch or Bluetooth headset you could walk around with that.